Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon!! I purchased my 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, brand new, April 10, 2021. Two weeks later, my husband and I set out for Fort Worth, Texas, we live in Alabama. We didn’t make it out of Mississippi before the windshield was damaged, less than 1500 miles on the car. Within 3-5 miles from the initial hit, the glass had run over 10 inches, so no hope of having it repaired, it had to be replaced. I waited 4 months for a windshield, Hyundai backorder. Finally got the glass installed the end of August 2021 by Safelite in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. March of 2022, I was headed to work, passed a regular pickup truck going north as I was going south, on a county road, running less than 45mph. Heard a small, insignificant tick, so small I didn’t see a reason to even check the glass when I arrived at work. When I got back in my car to leave work at the end of the day, 8 hours later, the car had sat all day in the same spot, the glass had already run more than a foot up the middle of the windshield. I manage a body shop in the town I live in, so the windshield was done where I work this second time, I will not ever use Safelite again. I had to wait a few weeks for the shop to settle down enough to get my windshield installed. Glass went in with no issues, all moldings were replaced, Safelite damaged the factory moldings on the first install and never mentioned anything. Took the car to Tuscaloosa Hyundai for recalibration, no issue at all. I was headed back to Tuscaloosa yesterday morning, I passed a pickup who was headed north as I was headed south, a rock or something substantial, flew up from the truck, hit the top of the windshield. Before I even got 5 miles, the glass had ran down below my sun visor, 8-10 inches. I have had this car less than 2 years, so far it has barley made it 6 months without having to have to windshield replaced. I know of a 2022 model in my town that is already on it’s 2nd windshield, less than 10k miles on it, the 2nd windshield has already been damaged, but she got lucky enough that it could be repaired. Each hit on the glass has been in a different area, but all have the same end result. The glass has been installed by two different companies, so that’s not the issue either. I firmly believe the glass is just crap. I am also worried my insurance is going to get tired of paying to replace the glass and therefore raise my rates or cancel my policy altogether. I am asking anyone who has this generation of Santa Fe and has had this same issue with the windshield to please contact me. I have contacted the dealer I purchased from and there is no TBS on this issue as of now. I was told to contact Hyundai Customer Care, but that they will not do anything unless enough people complain with the same issue. I know there have to be more out there, there are 2 of us in a town of less than 10k people and it’s only 5 miles from one end to the other. My ultimate goal is to have Hyundai put out the bulletin and take a better look at the quality of the glass they supply for their vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hyundai doesn’t make the glass, although the factory fitted stuff will have a Hyundai logo. Glass is pattern made by a few different manufactures and what you get depends on where you are and availability. You’re just very unlucky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyundai doesn’t make the glass, although the factory fitted stuff will have a Hyundai logo. Glass is pattern made by a few different manufactures and what you get depends on where you are and availability. You’re just very unlucky.
No one is this unlucky, my guess is they’re using the same manufacturer. I’m not the only person in my town with the issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Only 2 factories make the great majority of OEM windshields. And yes, they're ever thinner, to save in cost and weight, but basically ALL vehicles have the same crap nowadays. You obviously have crappy roads where you live, just like me. It's a matter of luck too, but you can help your luck by moving to the right lane whenever possible (although my last windshield crack was on the right lane; I saw the stupid rock flying from the opposite side 2 lanes over), not riding behind trucks, etc. I got hit twice already on my SF, and was expecting a crack, but miraculously nothing, so actually my windshield is performing above expectations :). I got $0 deductible for that reason, but yes, if you have more than 'x' claims in a year, insurance could jack up your rates. Ask them about details if there's a next time, to avoid that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only 2 factories make the great majority of OEM windshields. And yes, they're ever thinner, to save in cost and weight, but basically ALL vehicles have the same crap nowadays. You obviously have crappy roads where you live, just like me. It's a matter of luck too, but you can help your luck by moving to the right lane whenever possible (although my last windshield crack was on the right lane; I saw the stupid rock flying from the opposite side 2 lanes over), not riding behind a truck anywhere close to them, etc. I got hit twice already on my SF, and was expecting a crack, but miraculously nothing, so actually my windshield is performing above expectations :).
It’s always in a situation where there are only 2 lanes. The roads in my town are crap, but 2 times it’s been on well maintained roads. I’m just tired of replacing my windshield. I’ve owned cars for years at a time and never had so much as a chip. This isn’t “bad luck” or “crap roads”. If the roads were this issue, every windshield on the planet we be cracked at least once a year. This is my first foreign car, I’ve always bought American, so far I’m not impressed, but, I’m stuck with it for the time being. Hopefully my insurance won’t cancel my policy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s always in a situation where there are only 2 lanes. The roads in my town are crap, but 2 times it’s been on well maintained roads. I’m just tired of replacing my windshield. I’ve owned cars for years at a time and never had so much as a chip. This isn’t “bad luck” or “crap roads”. If the roads were this issue, every windshield on the planet we be cracked at least once a year. This is my first foreign car, I’ve always bought American, so far I’m not impressed, but, I’m stuck with it for the time being. Hopefully my insurance won’t cancel my policy.
drive a farther distance from trucks in front of you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant. But many times you have to pass them at some point. OP, if you only have 2-lane roads, those are the worst, especially if strewn with crap, like around here. You simply had good luck before, and now you're getting the reality of the odds. Ha ha. If you got a cracked windshield on the SF, you'd have gotten it on ANY other car. Remember windshields are double-pane, meaning there are 2 super thin pieces of glass sandwiched together with a rubber membrane in the middle. It doesn't take much to crack the outer layer, especially at higher speeds. And on a 2-lane road, if opposing vehicle kicks a rock/pebble, it's going to hit your vehicle at a much higher speed than a vehicle ahead of you, so even a small pebble can easily crack a windshield. Hopefully your luck will be better from now on :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
SJNEJ101208 said: "....Good afternoon!! I purchased my 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, brand new, April 10, 2021. Two weeks later, my husband and I set out for Fort Worth, Texas, we live in Alabama. ......
Then later: "This is my first foreign car, I’ve always bought American, so far I’m not impressed,..."

Well I hope your luck improves. But did you realise that your Santa Fe is manufactured in your home state of Alabama?
I suspect you will find that a large number of components are sourced locally, including the windscreen...!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have some empathy for OP based on past experience with one vehicle I previously owned was always getting a rock in the windshield, I believe I repaired it 3 different places (chips) and finally had a replacement windshield done so 4 "hits" however my '018 SF has had zero hits making me think some hoods are shaped to maybe reduce wind drag overall while not being so great at dodging rocks... make sense? Maybe an after-market hood deflector OP?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts