Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T which has just turned one year. I have a question about warranty work that I have not been able to find an answer to...seems like a normal question that should have an easy answer. The question is...do you take your car in at the one year mark or at the 15,000 mile mark? We only have around 10,000 miles at the one year mark. Should I take in now or wait until we hit 15,000 miles in another 6 months or so?
I would think the mileage in this case...or, is it just an either-or case where it doesn't matter?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...let me be more specific...I don't need any work...this is more just a general warranty question. Is mileage or time the overriding determinant of when you bring your vehicle in? At one year, there is nothing wrong with the car...but, you have to do the warranty checks to keep your warranty intact. I guess I'm looking for assurances that if I wait until 15K miles and something happens to the car, the manufacturer can't say...oh, you should have brought it in at one year...sorry, the warranty is no longer valid!

·
Registered
34 Posts
In that case, time would be the determining factor. The policy is so many miles or so much time whichever comes first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it turns out the local Hyundai dealer goes off mileage. I went online to book a service appointment and they have all the scheduled warranty checks based on mileage only. Not even a field to enter date purchased. That suits me fine anyway, since going to the dealer is akin to going to the dentist for me.
So, I will wait until after 14K miles and get appointment so mileage will be less than 15k on service date.
This explains why the service adviser seemed confused when I brought it in at 6 months, but only had 5800 miles. I had to force her to initial my warranty book.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't speak for Hyundai USA, but here in the great white north Hyundai Canada seems to have a different maintenance schedule than some of their dealers. While Hyundai Canada lists REQUIRED maintenance by mileage (kms actually), the dealerships RECOMMENDED services menu is listed by kms as well as elapsed days.

In most cases the dealership services mirror HC schedules, but there are a few extra services the dealership recommends in addition to the HC schedule. Our onboard maintenance minders have a mileage and descending days counter, so it's essentially a mileage/time whichever comes first schedule.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T which has just turned one year. I have a question about warranty work that I have not been able to find an answer to...seems like a normal question that should have an easy answer. The question is...do you take your car in at the one year mark or at the 15,000 mile mark? We only have around 10,000 miles at the one year mark. Should I take in now or wait until we hit 15,000 miles in another 6 months or so?
I would think the mileage in this case...or, is it just an either-or case where it doesn't matter?
Any thoughts?

I doubt your car came with synthetic oil so you are going quite a long time on dino oil. Why risk it?

I've owned new BMW's that called for 15K mile oil changes (synthetic oil). The car had a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty so calling for 15K changes reduced BMW's warranty costs.
Before BMW went to the 4year/50,000 mile warranty, it called for oil changes every 7,500 miles (same oil and filter!!). Oh yeah, coolant changes went from every 30K miles to 'lifetime' with same exact coolant.

Its your car but IMHO it is overdue for service. We have a 2017 SFS 2T. First scheduled warranty oil change is at 3,000 miles. Subsequent Oil and filter changes are scheduled for every 5,000 miles. Cheap insurance if you plan to hang onto your car, and a good selling point (keep your records!) if you don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts