Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drained and refilled my Sport's transmission fluid a few years ago at 25k miles. The transmission drained 5.1 quarts and I refilled exactly 5.1 quarts using Hyundai SPM-III from the dealer. At 50k miles, I just drained and refilled again and it drained 4.1 quarts. This second time I didn't drain any fluid from the plastic fill level plug. I then discovered Hyundai SP-III is the wrong fluid for the new six-speed transmission and SP-IV was required but it was superseded by SP-4M. I didn't drive the SUV after that latest drain and refill. I ordered SP4-M from a Hyundai dealer and just did another drain. My method this time was to drain from the plastic fill level plug first. Be aware there is a round neoprene gasket on the plastic plug which can come loose from the drain hole and fall into the drain pan. Everything I've read said that the plastic level plug is there to indicate if you have enough fluid. When you remove it, fluid should drain. We know a lot of fluid stays in the torque converter. Anyway, two and one third quarts drained from the plastic fluid level plug which was a lot more than I expected. Then I drained from the main metal drain plug and three and a third quarts drained so 5.66 quarts total drained out. I added 5.66 quarts of SP-4M using a 5/8 diameter one foot long fuel line hose shaved down at the end using a box cutter to make a tight seal on the fill hole since last time it took 10 minutes to pour each quart due to burping and spillage of fluid. I had to start over the first time spillage was so bad. I added a small funnel to the fill end of the hose and taped the hose to the battery to keep it vertical and not flop the funnel around which might pull the hose out of the fill hole. The fill hole is not perfectly straight down accessible because the battery case slightly interferes but the hose allows an angle around the battery case. A regular funnel (with no hose) would have to be inserted at a slight angle in the hole. I always refill exactly what drained out so I'm comfortable the transmission has enough fluid. I will do another drain and refill in a couple weeks. I'm not happy there is no transmission fluid dipstick. Please post related comments. Thanks. Mike

1 - 1 of 1 Posts