Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towing question: So the 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate has on all of its advertisements, all info and dealer assured it can tow 5000lbs. Ok, well after sale, I call 2 dealers and get same story: well according to your vin # it doesn't have the tow package. In fact all limited Ultimate's do not have tow package. Ok, I say go ahead and order the tow package and put it in. Well they say, it's a class 2 package, meaning it will only tow 2500lbs. Anyone know what is going on. Do I need to go aftermarket? Seems like no problem except for the wiring. And that seems like a bigger problem.
I saw a Limited Ultimate at the shore 3 days ago with a class 3 hitch, 4 wire plug plus a round class 3 plug to the right of the hitch body. Was this a custom job I don't know. Anyone know what the deal is with towing 5K.
Would really appreciate any feedback. I was planning on picking up a 6x12 single axle alu body cargo trailer and towing about 4000lbs max.
Now I am at a loss what is going on with all the Santa Fe's advertised 5K tow capacity?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. My first post!

I have a 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate AWD, and it did come pre-wired with harness. I installed a CURT 13153 Class 3 Trailer Hitch ($125/Amazon), and CURT 56151 Custom Wiring Harness ($41/Amazon). If you are a bit handy, it's a simple installation that will take about an hour or two with a helper. The CURT 56151 plugs into the factory harness, and converts it to a 4-wire flat plug.

I also noticed that the factory harness includes a 12V wire. I'm getting ready to install a 7-pin plug, tapping into the factory 12V for the power, and also a Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control. Will let you know how it goes.

-Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi there. My first post!

I have a 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate AWD, and it did come pre-wired with harness. I installed a CURT 13153 Class 3 Trailer Hitch ($125/Amazon), and CURT 56151 Custom Wiring Harness ($41/Amazon). If you are a bit handy, it's a simple installation that will take about an hour or two with a helper. The CURT 56151 plugs into the factory harness, and converts it to a 4-wire flat plug.

My dealer had installed the exact same setup on my 2017 SF Limited Ultimate FWD. BTW, the CURT products are the same ones sold by U-Haul in their stores. I had to get an elongated, 2" inch rise ball to properly fit my 16' Carolina Skiff on Magic Tilt trailer. The hitch fits low on the SF rear and I wanted the extra couple inches of longer shaft to give me some extra bumper room from the trailer tongue. I've pulled the boat several times, and once I found that little button on the center console that shuts off that beeping when backing with the trailer it's been great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the response. According to 2 local dealers my Vin # does not come pre-wired. Guess that's why I am kind of confused when Hyundai advertises all 2017's come pre-wired. Tonight I am going to crawl under and remove the left side under panel and look for myself. If it has the wiring, than agreed, it is a simple install and I already bought the Curt class 3 hitch.
Again, this is why I bought the SUV (5000 lbs towing) Will give update tomorrow on the wiring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked under right side cover and sure enough my Limited Ultimate came pre-wired. Sweet. The 2 dealers who told me that I didn't have the prewired tow package were wrong and probably just trying to rip me off like 700.00 and install a class 2 hitch so not to strain their warrantee. So I installed the Kurt 13153 hitch and 56151 harness myself. It was so easy. Just one tip to others who want to do this install, before tight up all hardware on the hitch, run the wiring harness through the slot opening, then tighten up the hitch hardware and torque to spec. Note: if you don't do this step, you will be loosening up the Drivers side hardware to be able to get the gap wide enough to pass the wiring harness through that slot and up and away from the exhaust.
Next up: Brake controller / 6x12 cargo trailer with brake axel option / maybe rear air bags with electric pump / maybe load leveler, light duty.
Has anyone tried electric air bags for the rear end of a 17 Santa Fe AWD V6?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where did you find that the harness includes 12V? Mine is prewired for a 4 way harness but I need to install a 7 way (12V & GND only, no brakes). I'd like to avoid running a wire back to the battery or fuse box. Did you complete your 7 way installation?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looked under right side cover and sure enough my Limited Ultimate came pre-wired. Sweet. The 2 dealers who told me that I didn't have the prewired tow package were wrong and probably just trying to rip me off like 700.00 and install a class 2 hitch so not to strain their warrantee. So I installed the Kurt 13153 hitch and 56151 harness myself. It was so easy. Just one tip to others who want to do this install, before tight up all hardware on the hitch, run the wiring harness through the slot opening, then tighten up the hitch hardware and torque to spec. Note: if you don't do this step, you will be loosening up the Drivers side hardware to be able to get the gap wide enough to pass the wiring harness through that slot and up and away from the exhaust.
Next up: Brake controller / 6x12 cargo trailer with brake axel option / maybe rear air bags with electric pump / maybe load leveler, light duty.
Has anyone tried electric air bags for the rear end of a 17 Santa Fe AWD V6?
Where exactly do you look to find the pre-wiring? What does it look like? Does right side cover mean passenger side?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For Blackbear...How do you tell by the VIN# if you have the proper wiring? You are obviously very capable at adapting for towing. I need a 7 pin connector and though the connector would be part of the tow package, including all wiring and a transmission cooler --- Do you know what the tow package includes? Thanks. Hope you are still around. I am also wondering if and how these adaptations might impact the warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Blackbear...How do you tell by the VIN# if you have the proper wiring? You are obviously very capable at adapting for towing. I need a 7 pin connector and though the connector would be part of the tow package, including all wiring and a transmission cooler --- Do you know what the tow package includes? Thanks. Hope you are still around. I am also wondering if and how these adaptations might impact the warranty.
Hello,
I have a 17 SF Limited Ultimate, with 3.3 6cyl. I called my dealer, and they gave me the following info by VIN. They told me I had a towing package and capability of Max 5000 towing. I am a technical person, so I got underneath and looked. Towing package meant the prewire connectors were there for me to plug into the OEM side. I purchased a class 3 hitch, tekonsha wire harness and a combo 4/7 light pin socket with an extension bracket. I also purchased the e2 Fastway hitch with sway control and weight distribution and had to wire a 12v supply and ground to the rear of the vehicle to power my curt echo brake controller. All in I saved myself easily over a thousand dollars in labor by doing this myself. I was told I didn’t have the external transmission cooler but I haven’t concerned myself with it. I live in Denver and constantly have to tow up and down the Ike tunnel which tops out at 11,000 feet. The Santa Fe has zero issues with this. It does lose power however as elevation changes do that in naturally aspirated engines.

I tow a 21 foot pop up, somerset e3. Last weight in was loaded at 3300 pounds. I haven’t ran a transmission cooler for two main reasons and one of them isn’t exactly great. 1. It’s a lease. I am having trouble justifying paying for add ons that I won’t be keeping. 2. As a technical person I understand the temperature of ATF breakdown, but the facts are that the ATF is cooled already by existing coolant lines that are run through the radiator and cooling packs already. My cooling system even under hard pull doesn’t move from where it’s normally under non towing conditions. That being said, I don’t harass my engine or transmission. I place it in sport mode, and often I slide it to manual mode up hill to keep the transmission from “hunting” for gears. Down hill grades are no different. I place it in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear to keep from over using my brakes on the tow vehicle or trailer. I also weighed my vehicle full of fuel and completely empty of load to get a proper idea of curb weight of the SF and it’s rear axle (4020 lbs, and 2000 pounds) and according to the GVWR stickers I am very strict about how much load I add to my vehicle. So much so that I ask my wife and kids to ride in another car and shift loads to the other vehicle. I currently have these load spaces 1602 pounds of vehicle payload with 1055 pounds of room over my rear axle. This vehicle allows for a 10% tow ball load which is max of 500 pounds. That leaves 500 pounds of rear axle weight. And overall 1100 pounds of total vehicle weight. I am a big boy, and with me my wife and two kids, and dogs, we would be roughly 850 of load with zero bags packed. That leaves 250 of weight I could add to the vehicle and be under the GVWR.

I work in trucking and the importance here is safety. If the vehicle is operated within its engineering limits, all of its components can sustain the loads you place them under without additional aftermarket items. If you go outside these specs, your risking maintenance issues. I hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts