Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing that my 2004 Santa Fe hit 170,000 miles and I finally gave in and had the timing belt changed since my mechanic had been telling me for 2-3 years that - you just never know.
Well, when he got it off, it was in excellent shape and I really could have skipped it. But by the time a mechanic can see it, it's too late and the labor is already invested. Anyway, can't speak for the other years, models, but the mystery is solved: 2004 Hyndai Santa Fes have GREAT factory timing belts that can run forever. Leave them alone.
:smile

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's good to know! And welcome to the Forum. The 2009 Escape we traded in to get our 2016 SF had 144K on it. Last summer I bought a Napa belt "preparing" for a diy project. It sat on my workbench all winter. It's ranking on my job priority list crept up to "yeah I think I'll do this next weekend " to a slacker "let's wait...I see snow somewhere". With that many miles on your vehicle, what's your oil change regimen? Do you use factory filters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. I also have never let any dealer service dept touch my vehicle. I have an honest, good mechanic who is 100% trustworthy. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Belt

The timing belt, in my opinion, should be changed at least every 100,000 miles. There is no way to tell if the timing belt is worn (other that a visual inspection) until it's too late. If the timing belt breaks it's almost assured you will "blow" the engine. It screws up the valves and at the very least you will need a valve job and work done, if not a full replacement of, the engine's head.

Don't be foolish.....get the timing belt changed before it's too late. I had an 85 Mercedes with a small 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine and at 123000 miles the timing belt broke and it cost me over $6000 for an engine job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts