Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any points on the firewall of the 2017/18 Santa Fe where a cable can be passed through between the engine bay and the cabin? I want to fit a CB radio aerial from the nudge bar through to the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am from 'downunder ' so I've assumed that for LHD vehicles the situation is a mirror image of what I do on my own vehicle... So for a LHD vehicle, dislodge the RHS door seal rubber beside the passenger seat, remove the door sill trim and the kick panel. Depending on where you want to route the coax cable, you can undo 4 screws and drop the glove compartment assembly to give better access.....Put a jack under the kerbside front and remove the front wheel. CHOCK THE VEHICLE SAFELY ON AXLE STANDS. Remove the covers in the wheel well and find the main vehicle harness. You can poke a wire through the large grommet hole through the front door jam and into the cabin. Then run your coax cable wherever...

ALTERNATIVELY:
I installed a 600mm 6dB antenna with a magnetic mount onto a 3mm steel plate (75mm x 75mm or 3"x 3") plate attached to the roof bar and ran the coax into the door rubber, down to the floor, under the floor mats and into the cubby between the front seats where the radio lives. There is more than sufficient 'give' in the generous sized rubber door seal to withstand the 'crush' on the cable when the door closes. I have a UHF radio (GME) with all controls on the microphone. When not in use the whole thing fits snugly in the cubby out of sight.
While there can be clearance issues with the 6dB antenna in "shopping mall" carparks (!! only happened ONCE!)... Generally I have a made do with a 'mini' antenna on a magnetic mount which is approx 100mm (4") tall unless I'm headed bush on a trip. Even the mini antenna is ok for communicating with "road trains" in the outback.
I found that a roof height mount offers superior reception to the nudge bar which suffers from shielding by the bulk of the vehicle. hope this helps...
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am from 'downunder ' so I've assumed that for LHD vehicles the situation is a mirror image of what I do on my own vehicle... So for a LHD vehicle, dislodge the RHS door seal rubber beside the passenger seat, remove the door sill trim and the kick panel. Depending on where you want to route the coax cable, you can undo 4 screws and drop the glove compartment assembly to give better access.....Put a jack under the kerbside front and remove the front wheel. CHOCK THE VEHICLE SAFELY ON AXLE STANDS. Remove the covers in the wheel well and find the main vehicle harness. You can poke a wire through the large grommet hole through the front door jam and into the cabin. Then run your coax cable wherever...

ALTERNATIVELY:
I installed a 600mm 6dB antenna with a magnetic mount onto a 3mm steel plate (75mm x 75mm or 3"x 3") plate attached to the roof bar and ran the coax into the door rubber, down to the floor, under the floor mats and into the cubby between the front seats where the radio lives. There is more than sufficient 'give' in the generous sized rubber door seal to withstand the 'crush' on the cable when the door closes. I have a UHF radio (GME) with all controls on the microphone. When not in use the whole thing fits snugly in the cubby out of sight.
While there can be clearance issues with the 6dB antenna in "shopping mall" carparks (!! only happened ONCE!)... Generally I have a made do with a 'mini' antenna on a magnetic mount which is approx 100mm (4") tall unless I'm headed bush on a trip. Even the mini antenna is ok for communicating with "road trains" in the outback.
I found that a roof height mount offers superior reception to the nudge bar which suffers from shielding by the bulk of the vehicle. hope this helps...
Good luck!
I'm also from "down Under" so I'm assuming that you did all that on the passenger side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
G'day Boots!
Yes ..passenger's side. I contacted Hyundai Australia to find out how to install the cabling for some driving lights on a nudge bar. They kindly sent me the instructions for cabling the integrated L.E.D. light bar in the "Hyundai "Black Ace" nudge bar (Part Number S1A85APH00). The instructions route the cabling through the front LH ( passenger) door grommet beside the main vehicle harness, into the cabin, up behind the glove box and across to the steering column trim. The directions also contain a template for cutting a small hole in the steering column trim to accommodate the relay switch. If you want the directions, I can email them to you :- )
cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day Boots!
Yes ..passenger's side. I contacted Hyundai Australia to find out how to install the cabling for some driving lights on a nudge bar. They kindly sent me the instructions for cabling the integrated L.E.D. light bar in the "Hyundai "Black Ace" nudge bar (Part Number S1A85APH00). The instructions route the cabling through the front LH ( passenger) door grommet beside the main vehicle harness, into the cabin, up behind the glove box and across to the steering column trim. The directions also contain a template for cutting a small hole in the steering column trim to accommodate the relay switch. If you want the directions, I can email them to you :- )
cheers.
That would be good if you could - email is [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts