Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

If you purchased "synthetic" oil option, what kind is your dealer using?

• I don't know, have not checked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I purchased "Synthetic" and the dealer is definitely using "Synthetic" oil

• I purchased "Synthetic" but the dealer is using synthetic-blend

• I purchased "Synthetic", but the dealer is not using it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T I was convinced of updating to the extended "wrap" coverage as well as to "synthetic" oil. It was explained to me that the Turbo likes synthetic oil and it is what recommended. However, when I took my car for the oil change, the same dealer service team is saying that what they use is "synthetic blend".

I want to get what I paid for. Nowhere in the brochure or any information does it say "synthetic blend". Everywhere I find a reference to the update the wording always says "synthetic".

Am I making a big deal out of something that will probably not matter?
Is the dealer trying to swindle me into accepting a lower quality oil?
Should I find a different dealer to do my service?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, my question if this is normal for dealers to play on the "synthetic" wording. Furthermore, it feels that Hyundai writes these brochures, dealers sell them, but their own service departments don't quite follow what is being sold. If what I purchased says "synthetic", I would expect the dealer to use fully synthetic oil. But perhaps I am being too picky.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my 2centavos= doesn't seem to be any link whatsoever between the sales department and the service department at a Hyundai dealership. If not satisfied go in and ask to see the general manager and state your case. Call for an appointment if needed. The sales department is there to turn a profit. Type of oil used is irrelevant as long as it's done according to your owners manual unless the owners manual states a specific oil type. Check it thoroughly so you have a leg to stand on when you go in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I purchased my 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T I was convinced of updating to the extended "wrap" coverage as well as to "synthetic" oil. It was explained to me that the Turbo likes synthetic oil and it is what recommended. However, when I took my car for the oil change, the same dealer service team is saying that what they use is "synthetic blend".

I want to get what I paid for. Nowhere in the brochure or any information does it say "synthetic blend". Everywhere I find a reference to the update the wording always says "synthetic".

Thanks.
I understand the point you are making and that you want what you paid for. They sell you on something in the sales office, then they downplay the sales pitch when you get to the service department. I dislike the games. Here is a thought.... maybe go back to the salesman who sold you on the Wrap coverage and synthetic oil. Tell him you just want to be sure you understand exactly what you purchased, and ask him to explain - ask questions regarding synthetic blend vs full synthetic if needed. If he explains as you understood, have him walk back to the service department with you and have the conversation with the service department on why they installed synthetic blend as opposed to full synthetic. Syn-blend is cheaper than full synthetic - you can do the math for the service department and their generic answer. I'm sure they have full synthetic available... While I don't have a turbo model, I'd bet the owner's manual states syn-blend is adequate in your vehicle. If so, the syn-blend won't hurt it (meets recommended requirements), but if you paid for full synthetic, then you should have it - especially since they sold it to you as "being better" and you bought the package. It is frustrating with some of the games these dealers play. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks.
I am not sure which wrap coverage you purchased, but the official Hyundai Maintenance Wrap mentions synthetic oil as an "option":
  • Wrap - mirrors HCM coverage, but allows for upgrade to Synthetic oil and /or Severe Usage maintenance intervals
I am not sure what "allows for" means. Here is the link:

In the link to the brochure (in the link above), it says: "Conventional or synthetic oil options available" which again, I don't know what that means. It may mean you have to pay extra for each synthetic oil change, or that synthetic may already be included in all the oil changes your purchased as part of the maintenance plan. But if you purchased the synthetic option, there should be something in writing that you purchased the synthetic upgrade option up-front for all oil changes covered in the maintenance plan. Verbal statements by a salesman about what is included are unenforceable under the law in most cases, so it must be in writing that you paid up-front for synthetic.

If you are required to pay extra for each full synthetic oil change (your "option" as discussed above), then you can discuss that with your service advisor. If you have written documentation that you purchased the full synthetic option up-front without having to pay extra at each oil change, let the service advisor and/or dealer GM know that you will be contacting Hyundai Motor America, the local District Attorney, and consumer affairs reporters at your local TV stations about the fraud they have committed.

I don't think you are being too picky for wanting full synthetic in a Turbo engine. Starting in 2021 the Santa Fe 2.5L Turbo requires full synthetic (nothing in the 2020 Owner's Manual that I saw says that the 2.0L Turbo requires full synthetic). I would go with a 5W-30 full synthetic in a Hyundai Turbo engine.

The best bang for the buck if buying your own motor oil is Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Protection in 5-quart jugs at Walmart. But since you already paid for the maintenance plan, you may need to try another dealer to get full synthetic, even if you have to pay extra for it (as part of the optional synthetic upgrade for each oil change). A big problem with many dealers is that the techs don't follow instructions as written on the work order, even if you pay extra for synthetic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.