Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Sport 2.0T - Anyone in here had/have issues with your panoramic sunroof not closing? I really like driving with it open, but haven't opened it for a while. The first time it would not close, I took it to the dealer. They cleaned the rails and spayed lithium grease, worked for a few months and did the same thing, not closing all the way. I finally got it closed and haven't open it since. I know about the class action lawsuit for exploding glass and lots of issues with this roof. I believe Hyundai had discontinued the panoramic sunroofs. I read about the "tilt system" could be defective. Also how to reset the sunroof system and how to manually close with the tool that came with the car. May stay closed forever, at least it hasn't exploded!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2014 Sport 2.0T - Anyone in here had/have issues with your panoramic sunroof not closing? I really like driving with it open, but haven't opened it for a while. The first time it would not close, I took it to the dealer. They cleaned the rails and spayed lithium grease, worked for a few months and did the same thing, not closing all the way. I finally got it closed and haven't open it since. I know about the class action lawsuit for exploding glass and lots of issues with this roof. I believe Hyundai had discontinued the panoramic sunroofs. I read about the "tilt system" could be defective. Also how to reset the sunroof system and how to manually close with the tool that came with the car. May stay closed forever, at least it hasn't exploded!
Still haven't opened my sunroof. Bummer!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have watched my panoramic get slower and slower over the last 2 weeks. It finally got stuck tonight. It starts to close, than says, "nope". and auto reverses. Ill let you know what I find. already tried blowing the tracks out, and I'm about to lubricate them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunroof is next on the list. I just replaced my blinker/Hello/Goodbye speaker. Not easy! Let me know how you do with your sunroof?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have watched my panoramic get slower and slower over the last 2 weeks. It finally got stuck tonight. It starts to close, than says, "nope". and auto reverses. Ill let you know what I find. already tried blowing the tracks out, and I'm about to lubricate them.
I have the same; mine jammed 6mo ago - simply suddenly met resistance while closing, and recoiled back open. Took it to Hyundai dealer under warranty, and they replaced the motor (which took a week since parts were scarce under COVID).

Worked for a while, and now same has happened again. It seems to be resistance in the runners - really strong resistance that even pushing with all my might can't overcome, which makes me afraid there's an issue around runners becoming bent/displaced such that it's impossible to fix.

Unfortunately if this happens, you're screwed. There's no easy manual override or disconnect, apparently - just a complex disassembly at the dealer. I'm going to try blowing/cleaning mine, but I suspect it'll be an expensive fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes this happened to me about a week ago or so. I have a 2014 Santa Fe. I brought is to the dealer. They got the sunroof closed but not the sunscreen. Charged me $200. Told me I need to replace the whole assembly which is not under warranty and would cost me $7600!! I have not opened my sunroof since and that totally sucks because I’m used to using it everyday with living in Florida. I am not a happy camper. If you have any solutions let me know!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same; mine jammed 6mo ago - simply suddenly met resistance while closing, and recoiled back open. Took it to Hyundai dealer under warranty, and they replaced the motor (which took a week since parts were scarce under COVID).

Worked for a while, and now same has happened again. It seems to be resistance in the runners - really strong resistance that even pushing with all my might can't overcome, which makes me afraid there's an issue around runners becoming bent/displaced such that it's impossible to fix.

Unfortunately if this happens, you're screwed. There's no easy manual override or disconnect, apparently - just a complex disassembly at the dealer. I'm going to try blowing/cleaning mine, but I suspect it'll be an expensive fix.
So I finally got it closed with a load of Silicon spray and lots of pushing as it closed.

So, the dealer took a look and diagnosed that the frame is bent. As it’s now out of warranty, they’ve gone to Hyundai to ask if they’ll pay for it.

If they say no, I’ll have to build a case against them. The fact is that its exactly the same issue as last time, but for some reason they decided it was a burnt motor instead, and only replaced that. It was obvious it wasn’t and I should have forced the issue at the time. I don’t know whether they misdiagnosed on purpose or just carelessly.

So, I’ll see why they say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys sorry to bump this post.
I have an upholstery shop and do the repairs for Hyundai and their sun roof issue.

The problem is your tilt levers go bad. There is little plastic shoes on them and they wear off and its metal on metal. That's why your sun roofs are jamming.
Hyundai does NOT no how to fix this problem. That's why I do it.

DO NOT spray anything into the sunroof track. It will make it much worse by crap sticking in there.

There are 2 options. If it is under warranty. They will replace the sunroof frame assembly.
Worth about $4,000-$5,000 CDN.

A lot of the times they WILL NOT replace the Tilt Levers. The problem in the first place.
Make sure they order both left and right levers.

The levers are on the SUN ROOF glass itself. Not the frame.

If you are going to fix it yourself, you will have to drop the headliner, pop the glass out, and swap the levers.
Left and Right. ON THE GLASS!

You then will have to re program your sunroof and shade. Not hard to do. Its in your owners manual .

Here are the part numbers for the 2 tilt levers. Left and Right.
Part #81635-3S010 & #81636-3S010

Just thought I might be of some help. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts