Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2012 Santa Fe with 120,000 kms but had a short block installed about 57,000 kms ago under warranty. My question has to do with a flickering oil light. After a long highway drive I find (sometimes) my oil light will flicker at idle. As soon as I tap the gas pedal the light will go out. I can drive around the city and it never goes on. I change the oil regularly and never go over 5,000 km without a change. I use Quaker State 5/20, 100% synthetic and Fram filters. I checked and the cost of a Oil sensor is only $12.00 but you have to take off the manifold to get at it. I don't have a problem spending the money if that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why was the engine replaced? sometimes metal contamination can get into the oil ports causing sensor to act like this, was this happening before your motor swap or only after? Just wondering if you got a bad oil pump i would hope they replaced it but is it an o.e. part?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil Leak

To answer your question, the short block was replaced over a year ago. The reason, I don't know. I drove to a shopping mall shut the vehicle off and went inside. When I returned it wouldn't start so I had it towed to the dealership. They informed me that it was the short block but kept the car for 3 weeks while they were trying to find a way to make me pay for it. Luckily I had all my receipts for my oil changes at the scheduled intervals so they replaced it under warranty. That was over a year ago. My oil light just started about a month ago. I change my oil every 5000 km or less never over. A couple of weeks ago I was on the highway for about 2 hours and when I pulled up to the gas pumps the oil light flickered. When I was in the city driving at city speeds it never comes on. I was back on the highway last week for about an hour and when I got back into the city and stopped at a light it flickered again. I have only been driving in the city now and it has never come on. I purchased the Oil sensor but my mechanic said he would recommend we wait because of the expense of putting in the $11.00 part. The vehicle runs like a top and the engine is very smooth never any noises. I'm very fussy about my vehicles and would spend the money to put in the sensor if I thought it would help. The oil level is currently full and is always full, it never drops. When I change the oil and put the used oil back in the new container it is full. I do appreciate your reponse, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts