Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably come across as "sour grapes" but I love my Santa Fe but do not love the restrictions placed on DIY owners that I learned about during my 3,750 free oil/filter change and the response to concerns that I took to the dealer., as follows:
1. Dealer insinuated that if I do not use a Hyundai filter my warranty might not be valid.
2. Although User Manual indicates that oil/filter changes are every 7,500 miles, Dealer claims Richmond, VA is in an area that calls for changing oil/filter every 3,750 even though I use Mobil 1
3. When using cruise and the transmission down-shifts to maintain speed, both going uphill or downhill, it takes forever to up-shift back to where it was--so much so that I usually cancel cruise so it will up-shift. (Would love to know if other owners have this problem).
4. Every car that I have owned before has had a warning buzzer/bell when passenger seat belt is not buckled when key is on. Service manager said this is normal-- no warning sound for passengers. Is your Hyundai the same?

Would appreciate your input!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the dealer is giving you the standard BS regarding service periods. In order to maintain the warranty it need not be serviced at a Hyundai dealer but only means you have to maintain receipts showing maintenance was performed within recommend factory schedule. I agree with the lack of a warning for the passenger seat belt and also when seat is unoccupied there's no warning light that passenger seat air bag is turned off. I noticed that in the first week when wife forgot to buckle up and there was no warning. I have not noticed any unusual problems with the cruise control and related transmission shifting. The one thing that dealers do not want is customers complaints to Hyundai so if I was you I would complain about their insinuations regarding oil and filter and mileage intervals. I had an Infinity and a sales person told me if I didn't buy the car from that particular dealership and had it serviced at their facility the level of service wouldn't be as good. I contacted Infinity and asked why the dealer has different levels of service and shortly thereafter I received an apology from the dealer saying the level of service will always be excellent regardless where the car was purchased. I lived next door to a person that ran a dealership and he told me of the impact that customer complaints have on a dealer such as allocation of the best selling models and area awards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TNpython:
Truly appreciate your reply and input. My main concern is the downshifting problem when using cruise control as the transmission will not correct itself after ascending or descending a grade, and stay in the downshift gear until I cancel cruise. Talked to the service manager, who said she had a Santa Fe and it did the same thing and this was normal!! Next step is to return to dealership and have someone ride with me to observe the problem and next step is Hyundai customer service. The oil change fiasco is almost laughable. Since Richmond, VA is considered "EXTREME CONDITIONS", oil and filter must be changed every 3750 miles; however as I complained , manager said "well I guess 5000 miles would be OK, if I use Hyundai filters and save receipts. Always had Toyotas and Nissans before and may go back to them sooner than I thought based on BS.
Nevertheless I thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
No audible seat belt sound is a very european thing. It is common. However, as for oil changes, i would never exceed more than 3500 miles. I dont care what the dealer says....

·
Registered
10 Posts
TNpython:

To this quote "I had an Infinity and a sales person told me if I didn't buy the car from that particular dealership and had it serviced at their facility the level of service wouldn't be as good. I contacted Infinity and asked why the dealer has different levels of service and shortly thereafter I received an apology from the dealer saying the level of service will always be excellent regardless where the car was purchased."

What this means is that if you service your vehicle since day 1 you brought it from them they may let your warranty extended if it's a little over under good will but if you just randomly show up they will most likely do it by the book and just let you know your warranty is out. Some are even worst they will make you pay for the diagnostic first and if it's under warranty they will reimburse you after if it's under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts