Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 oil changes there has been less than a quart of oil left. The last one I had even added 3 quarts throughout the time between the last quart being only a week before the change. I am still under 3000 miles since last change and oil light came on and not registering on dip stick. I have less than 70000 miles on 2014 sf. Where is my oil going? No noticeable marks under car or under hood.. Don't make sense. I drive 120 miles 5 days a week.. All highway driving

·
Registered
16 Posts
There has to be a leak somewhere. That much oil doesn't just disappear. I have the 17 santa fe sport and the entire underneath of the engine is covered by plastic. Make sure it's not just collecting under there and coming out somewhere other that the oil plug or filter area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here. 2013 santa fe sport.i switched to synthetic and after 4500 km i got the red oil light. I called dealer they want to do an oil monitoring every 1000 km.i just drove a vacation trip 2000 km and i lost 500 ml oil.im afraid dealer will tell me that's normal.i can't find any information about how much oil i normal to lose. I have only 90000km.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's either being burned up in the motor or shot out underneath in a leak somewhere. Probably a leak if it's not smoking and if it was burning that much oil your spark plugs would be fouled and it would not run very well if at all. Pull the plastic skid plate off from underneath the front of the car. Starting at the oil drain plug, make sure it is tight. look for oil splatter behind it. Also notice if there are oil spots on the driveway after it has been sitting or not. Now check the oil filter. Any leaks there? It should all be clean. Wipe it down, filter, plug and oil pan. Now work your way up to the top of the motor gradually. Historically there have been known oil leaks from the valve covers leaking pretty significantly. They are ---- motors, so no surprise. The angle of the heads is so steep that oil leaks out of the downhill sides (near front bumper and near firewall) of the valve covers. To replace these you have to pull the upper intake off. The gaskets are cheap. $25 or so. You can diy this in your driveway if you just take pics of where things go before and after each step. Take your time. Be organized with the bolts. wipe everything on the motor down as best as possible and clean / degrease it while you're at it so you can more readily spot future leaks. The valve cover gasket replacement will take you about 4-6 hours start to finish most likely if you're handy. Nothing technical but these cars were not meant to be worked on. They are just trash mobiles basically. but if you work on them yourself, you can make them last a long time pretty easy since you can take your time and not be paying someone's labor rate to fix it for you. Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts