Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from New England, just recently traded in my '19 Forester Sport (yes, 2019, you didn't misread) for a '19 Ultimate 2.0T. So much happier. Lost a bunch of money on the deal, but still happy. The fit and finish of Hyundais are second to none in their class. Also happy to be out of CVT. This is our 3rd Santa Fe (still own a 2013 Limited AWD with 115k) and that stood as the benchmark for which all of our other cars were compared.

Hope everyone else are as delighted as us with this car as we are.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi from New England, just recently traded in my '19 Forester Sport (yes, 2019, you didn't misread) for a '19 Ultimate 2.0T. So much happier. Lost a bunch of money on the deal, but still happy. The fit and finish of Hyundais are second to none in their class. Also happy to be out of CVT. This is our 3rd Santa Fe (still own a 2013 Limited AWD with 115k) and that stood as the benchmark for which all of our other cars were compared.

Hope everyone else are as delighted as us with this car as we are.

Cheers

Hey, Congrats on the SF.

Oh I’d like to have a good chat with you! I have a ‘15 Forester and am seriously considering a SF.
The cvt is annoying, no Sport mode, and the steering wheel paddle shifters are a pain, compared to having it on the tranny shift like the SF.
I only test drove the SF but it felt pretty solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure, I'd be happy to give you any info that might help. I also had a 2015 Forester Premium (traded for '19 Forester). I dug that car, although the fit and finish was pretty bad, the cabin noise sucked and the CVT wasn't my cup of tea. It was a nice light little car. The SF is definitely heavier, but I actually like it. It feels a lot more planted and better in the snow. It's much more of a long haul touring vehicle than the smaller Forester. As far as that CVT goes, I feel way better knowing my 8 speed auto trans is easily serviceable compared to Subarus "sealed CVT". The infotainment in the SF is way better than the Forester. You can watch some videos and compare. Everything just works. The HUD is really neat too.

The smart features, like lane keep assist, blind spot detection, etc are all much better than Subaru as they seem smarter and less bothersome. The Forester would constantly beep at my and there was also no way to adjust how intense the keep assist was. The smart cruise on the Forester had a haphazard way of adjust per-mph and forced increments of 5mph, which drove me nuts. The SF is much more tunable.

I really like how quiet the cabin is in the SF (even the older 2013 my wife drives). I also like how smooth the ride is - it literally glides across the tarmac. I rarely do any offroading, with maybe the exception of driving into a campground or out into a hiking area down grated dirt roads. Most of the marketing for Subaru, in my opinion is overhyped. I think the Santa Fe can do almost anything the Subaru can do and with more elegance. Not to mention the towing capacity of the Turbo 2.0 is 3500lbs compared to 1500lbs. I can't speak to the 2.4 motor, but I dove straight into the Turbo because I wanted the extra power and torque, especially after coming from a weak 2.5 CVT in the Forester.

Not to mention the killer pano sunroof - this is worlds better than anything on any Subaru.

I've watched a ton of reviews on the SF and competitors. I had thought I'd buy the CX-5, but I was underwhelmed. It was a lot smaller, had a tiny sunroof, although they told me the turbo was more powerful (310 ftlbs torque IIRC), it didn't feel like it to me. In the end I cared more about smoothness and more of a luxury ride than sporty performance. If I want sportiness, I bust out the Ducati (although I wouldn't consider the 2.0T motor in my SF a slouch) :)

There is some dumb link posting restriction on here, but I would recommend watching the 2019 Santa Fe review entitled "2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Review - Better Than a Honda or Toyota?" by The Straight Pipes on Youtube. I'd also recommend watching "2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Off-Road Review: Does a Locking Center Diff Help?" by TFLCar on Youtube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sure, I'd be happy to give you any info that might help. I also had a 2015 Forester Premium (traded for '19 Forester). I dug that car, although the fit and finish was pretty bad, the cabin noise sucked and the CVT wasn't my cup of tea. It was a nice light little car. The SF is definitely heavier, but I actually like it. It feels a lot more planted and better in the snow. It's much more of a long haul touring vehicle than the smaller Forester. As far as that CVT goes, I feel way better knowing my 8 speed auto trans is easily serviceable compared to Subarus "sealed CVT". The infotainment in the SF is way better than the Forester. You can watch some videos and compare. Everything just works. The HUD is really neat too.

The smart features, like lane keep assist, blind spot detection, etc are all much better than Subaru as they seem smarter and less bothersome. The Forester would constantly beep at my and there was also no way to adjust how intense the keep assist was. The smart cruise on the Forester had a haphazard way of adjust per-mph and forced increments of 5mph, which drove me nuts. The SF is much more tunable.

I really like how quiet the cabin is in the SF (even the older 2013 my wife drives). I also like how smooth the ride is - it literally glides across the tarmac. I rarely do any offroading, with maybe the exception of driving into a campground or out into a hiking area down grated dirt roads. Most of the marketing for Subaru, in my opinion is overhyped. I think the Santa Fe can do almost anything the Subaru can do and with more elegance. Not to mention the towing capacity of the Turbo 2.0 is 3500lbs compared to 1500lbs. I can't speak to the 2.4 motor, but I dove straight into the Turbo because I wanted the extra power and torque, especially after coming from a weak 2.5 CVT in the Forester.

Not to mention the killer pano sunroof - this is worlds better than anything on any Subaru.

I've watched a ton of reviews on the SF and competitors. I had thought I'd buy the CX-5, but I was underwhelmed. It was a lot smaller, had a tiny sunroof, although they told me the turbo was more powerful (310 ftlbs torque IIRC), it didn't feel like it to me. In the end I cared more about smoothness and more of a luxury ride than sporty performance. If I want sportiness, I bust out the Ducati (although I wouldn't consider the 2.0T motor in my SF a slouch) :)

There is some dumb link posting restriction on here, but I would recommend watching the 2019 Santa Fe review entitled "2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Review - Better Than a Honda or Toyota?" by The Straight Pipes on Youtube. I'd also recommend watching "2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Off-Road Review: Does a Locking Center Diff Help?" by TFLCar on Youtube.

Wow, Great!

Won’t be getting a SF for another year or two, but I did take one out for a test drive. I LIKED IT
It felt more solid than the Forester and the space was great. I really like how it “felt.” Solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts