Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2019 Kia Sorento V6, 2019 Audi S3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here, so first a little about myself.
I don't currently own a Santa Fe but am not new to Hyundai/Kia vehicles. In the past we have had an '09 Santa Fe, '10 Kia Forte, '13 Veloster Turbo and currently have a '19 Sorento and my wife has a '21 Seltos. So we are fans.

I'm not actually ready to buy a vehicle at this time but am always noodling what the next vehicle should be. I had settled on either an Audi Q5 or the Genesis GV70. I have driven both and like the Genesis better. But then I joined a Genesis forum and found that a lot of folks were having problems (not to be unexpected with a new model). But aside from the problems it became apparent that getting the problems fixed took weeks and sometimes months and then the problem wasn't always fixed.

So then I started thinking Santa Fe because it's been around longer and should be sorted out. But it does have a new engine (I would be interested in the 2.5T) and new double clutch transmission. So looking at this forum before joining I see that the DC transmission has had some issues. Are those pretty well sorted out? Has anyone had their double clutch transmission overheat? I'm also getting the feeling that getting repairs done for any vehicle takes a good bit longer than it used to. I guess labor and parts shortages. Are you finding Hyundai service to be satisfactory?

Thanks for any input as I'm now leaning heavily towards a Limited Santa Fe 2.5T AWD as the next vehicle.

· Registered
157 Posts
A new 2023, with an October 2022+ build date, SHOULD be sorted by now. And if you wait even longer, I wouldn't worry about that at all. The DCT issues were supposedly sorted with Sep 2022+ build dates, but a month extra (or even more) would be better. The main issue was with the high-pressure oil pump, so not directly related to the transmission itself, which hasn't had any issues as far as I know. It's reportedly quite robust now that is has wet clutches, now oil cooled. And no, I haven't heard of overheating issues at all. I had to abuse the crap out of mine in Seattle, with insanely inclined streets, and bumper to bumper traffic, and zero issues. And yes, also beat the crap out of my brakes going downhill. We test rode the GV70, and we both liked the SF much better in every respect, except the front of it. Plus the top-trim had awful wheels, plus couldn't have it in Napa leather (it had alcantara as well), so that was a deal-breaker all by itself. The interior made me feel like a grandpa, didn't like the buttons for HVAC (felt and looked cheap), and the freaking screen obstructed visibility, which was super annoying. It had the same engine as my SF Calligraphy, so performance should be about the same. Finally, I really like the DCT, but it's not for everyone. Plus you have to understand how it operates, to avoid certain undesirable conditions, but not an issue for our use (it's our travel vehicle only). I don't like anything else, so will keep it, and see what happens with the current DCT recall fiasco, and hope for the best :). Hope this helps, and good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: tacthecat

· Registered
2019 Kia Sorento V6, 2019 Audi S3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally, I really like the DCT, but it's not for everyone. Plus you have to understand how it operates, to avoid certain undesirable conditions, but not an issue for our use (it's our travel vehicle only). I don't like anything else, so will keep it, and see what happens with the current DCT recall fiasco, and hope for the best :). Hope this helps, and good luck.
Thanks for your reply.
I currently have a DC trans in my Audi in which I don't find any irregularities. Works great in my opinion. I was also a little concerned about the Hyundai DC because my wife's Seltos has one, although it's a dry clutch, and I'm not too impressed with it, buy she loves the car.

What is "the current DCT recall fiasco" you speak of? Is that different than the high pressure oil pump problem?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
157 Posts
Same thing; it's the Hyundai recall 236. With DCTs, you should avoid certain behaviors, like crawling in heavy traffic, which constantly slip the clutches. And not hold the car on an incline with the transmission, like you can do with a regular TC one. Basically doing what you'd do with a manual transmission, like avoid high-rpm launches, instead engaging the clutch mildly, then getting on the throttle (if possible), to minimize clutch wear. And other instances, like if you're slowing down to a stop, and suddenly need to get on the throttle without stopping at an intersection; you'd catch a DCT on the 'wrong foot' like that, and feel like it took forever to make up its mind. In those instances, it's better to engage the paddles, so it's in the right gear. Things like that, which you can learn the hard way during ownership. Women tend to complain more, since most don't understand what a DCT is.

· Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2021 Santa Fe and are pretty impressed with the 2.5T, MUCH quicker off the line than I would imagine. It's my wife's main car, I get to drive it occasionally. The DCT does seem quite choppy if you start kind of slow from a stop, maybe that's how it works???? But if you give it a bit of throttle, it seems much smoother. We just had the 236 recall done, apparently just a software update, was at the dealer less than 2 hours. Could be wrong, but my understanding is the software does not "fix" anything, it just gives you more time to get off the road if there is a problem, apparently without the software update, you have 20 to 30 seconds.

· Registered
157 Posts
The 'fix' is just a band-aid to get the NHTSA off Hyundai's back. And yes, the software fix is supposed to allow you to 'limp' (no definition of that from Hyundai whatsoever) if the HPEOP craps out for good, but I haven't read of a single case of that happening yet. Three 2023 owners here reported getting stranded, and all 2023s already had that fix, since they were built after the 5/6/22 build date limit. Most owners have reported from 1 to 3 temporary loss of power episodes before they got the fatal code, dash warnings, and 3 double-beeps. And in those cases, they couldn't get more than 30 mph, and very slowly, so that probably was the 'limp' mode. But after the fatal code, stranded. And it only makes mechanical sense, since a DCT cannot operate without proper fluid pressure. Bottom line is I wouldn't assume you'd get limp mode if affected. If you hear 3 double-beeps, I'd start pulling over immediately, and investigate what it is once safe. Finally, the good news is the number of SFs affected is very small (reportedly less than 1%), so most owners will be fine. Hope to dodge my bad luck with vehicles, but decided to give my SF a chance; hope it doesn't let me down, but I'm willing to take the risk :). Good luck to all of us. Ha ha.

Reactions: wbw
1 - 6 of 6 Posts