Hyundai Santa Fe Enthusiast Talk and Discussion Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, we traded in our 2017 SFS 2.0T Ultimate on a new 2021 SF Limited 2.5T. The SFS had been great...to a point we'd added almost 68K miles on it since purchase in 12/16. I planned to trade the car on a 2020 SF 2.0T Limited due to good pricing and incentives on the vehicle but after driving the 2021, we really liked the way the car felt and it's performance we beyond what I would have expected.

One new thing on the 2021 is included bumper to bumper maintenance for 3 years or 36K miles. That's great but the first oil change is at 8K miles or 1 year. On the 2017, the first oil change was at 3K miles for the 2.0T.

Given the 2.5L turbo is a new engine for the car this year, I didn't want to take a chance and went ahead and changed the oil and filter at 800 miles. I'm glad I did as I could see tiny shiny bits in the filter. Maybe I'm too cautious but there's a good chance we keep this vehicle well past warranty so what the heck.

I've owned BMW's. Their maintenance intervals were extended like crazy when BMW started paying for all maintenance for 4yrs/48months back in the late 90's. 30K transmission flushes were now 'lifetime" intervals (same fluid). Oil changes went from 5K miles to 1 year, 10K miles. You get the idea.

I'm concerned Hyundai maybe taking the same road.

Just my .02. Filter was $17 at the dealership (not readily available anywhere else yet). Oil was $20. Now I feel better about having to wait a year for the next free change, if I make it that long!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mnfcrs have no incentive for anyone to keep their cars beyond 10 yrs. My '02 has 140k now, always changed oil/filter every 5k. Hey I like the car; goes like crazy in bad weather, leather, heated seats, remote mirrors, cruise, autotemp, auto-dim rearview mirror, anti-lock breaks, V-6 power, 20+mpg, amazing technology for '02. Keeps my newer one looking new. You're doing the right thing. Buyer beware used ones (previously rental) with long mileages between oil changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toyota and Honda have gone to 10K mile oil change intervals, which I believe is the minimum for in the EU due to environmental regulations. But they also specify full synthetic motor oil. What motor oil is specified for the 2021 2.5 Turbo (viscosity and other specification in the owner's manual)?

Generally, 0W-20 motor oil is only available as a synthetic, although there are a couple of synthetic blend 0W-20 motor oils.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Per the manual
The 2.5 is 0W-20 synth
the 2.5T is 0W-30 synth
I couldn't find 0W-30 locally so used 0W-20. I will most likely go to 5W-30 for future changes on my dime. Our weather is temperate so not worried about super cold starts.
So far, we are very happy with the car! Can't believe the tech in a car like this. Dual clutch tranny is amazingly quick and seamless. I haven't played with sport mode much but bet it'd be a blast. Car feels very solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Per the manual
The 2.5 is 0W-20 synth
the 2.5T is 0W-30 synth
I couldn't find 0W-30 locally so used 0W-20. I will most likely go to 5W-30 for future changes on my dime. Our weather is temperate so not worried about super cold starts.
So far, we are very happy with the car! Can't believe the tech in a car like this. Dual clutch tranny is amazingly quick and seamless. I haven't played with sport mode much but bet it'd be a blast. Car feels very solid.
I would not use 0W-20 if 0W-30 is specified for the Turbo engine. I would use 5W-30 full synthetic instead. The first number (0W) is not as important as the second number (30, which is the required viscosity at operating temperatures) so long as the 5W-30 is a full synthetic. If it were me, I would use Mobil 1 EP (extended protection) 5W-30, which costs about $27 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts