Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here.
I just bought a new Santa Fe 2019. Very nice car.
I was a bit puzzled that on-going maintenance reminders are not automatic. The manual contains a table, and the first service is at 7500 miles.
The salesman told me that I'd better do it at 4000 miles - is he right? How do you stay in top of maintenance schedule? Is there an app for it? Any reminders?

Also - this car does look incredibly easy to maintain, oil change, filter change seems like very very easy. How many of us just do it ourselves?
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is a setting for the display for oil change reminder. Dealer want us to come in at 3000 km for forst change and after that I'm following the owners manual.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer always wants you to come in sooner than the manual says. I've never bought a new car where that wasn't the case. Here's something to think about though: The people who made the car say 7500 miles, the people who make the bulk of their money servicing the car say 4000. Which one would you believe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, first post here.
I just bought a new Santa Fe 2019. Very nice car.
I was a bit puzzled that on-going maintenance reminders are not automatic. The manual contains a table, and the first service is at 7500 miles.
The salesman told me that I'd better do it at 4000 miles - is he right? How do you stay in top of maintenance schedule? Is there an app for it? Any reminders?

Also - this car does look incredibly easy to maintain, oil change, filter change seems like very very easy. How many of us just do it ourselves?
Thank you!
Not certain how this will populate - I have a 2017 Santa Fe - very easy to maintain. Oil change and filter simple- air filter and cabin air filter simple. The dealership will be nice the first oil change and then it begins -

I no longer go to them - I have 34K - I do the changes with ease. I have shifted to Full Synthetic Oil and buy my oil and filters at NAPA - everyone has their favorites however, I like NAPA. I change my oil every 6,000 miles for about 22.00. I buy my air and cabin air filters on Amazon - just keep track of what you do. The only downside so far to the Santa Fe is that the engine is GDI - requires more cleaning

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do my own, very easy. My manual suggested 3k for 1st change and then 7500 after that. I change up every 3500, cheap insurance if you plan on keeping the car and by doing myself I know it was actually done properly and... good for a free steak dinner when you consider what you saved over taking to the dealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do my own, very easy. My manual suggested 3k for 1st change and then 7500 after that. I change up every 3500, cheap insurance if you plan on keeping the car and by doing myself I know it was actually done properly and... good for a free steak dinner when you consider what you saved over taking to the dealer.
just a caveat here, it's not rocket science to do your own maintenance but remember there are specific does and don'ts and you are working on an engine worth upwards of $12k and potential loss of time getting a new engine if you do the maintenance wrong so,,, tackle only clearly what you know how to do and stop, back-up and call someone if you goof, or get on here, internet makes the learning curve so shallower nowadays

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd do the oil changes like I used to when I was younger except for 3 reasons:
- Nobody takes used oil other than maybe Walmart for a fee.
- Dealing with the "under the engine" shroud doesn't inspire me. Maybe I shuda bought a Subaru with the filter on top?
- Our dealer has a 4 oil/filter/lube & full inspection package for $95. It's done in 30-45 mins using Hyundai spec'd oil & filter. I can't buy the oil for that and yes it's dino oil but I follow the 3750 mi or 6 mon plan so if any problems it's documented for Hyundai. If they tell me I need new air filters or wipers I say no thanks and do it myself, but they have caught under warranty issues on other vehicles that I didn't see (like torn drive boots or differential leaks).

Note the MyHyundai Bluelink app will tell you when the SF needs service but doing the 1000 mi break in change messes it up. I think I finally got it straight on the website to reset for 4750 mis but it'll probably get messed up again if I do the oil change "early" at 8400 mi but 6 months. Since I don't drive the SF as much in the summer needing AWD all winter I will be rotating between MILES or MONTHS dictating the oil change interval per Hyundai.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Autozone also takes used oil and yes Walmart does take used oil.

If you Googles used oil for your area I'm sure you will find more places that will take used oil

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 years free maintenance.
Keeping your new Hyundai running at its best requires regular care and maintenance. We encourage new owners to stay on top of it with Hyundai Complimentary Maintenance. It’s basic maintenance your new vehicle needs, and it’s on us. Benefits include:
Engine oil and filter changes
Tire Rotation
Normal, factory-scheduled maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first)
Hyundai filters & Quaker State oil
Supplemented or extended Hyundai Protection Plans
LEGAL

Complimentary maintenance includes Hyundai approved oil and oil filter change (except for electric vehicles and fuel cell electric vehicles) plus tire rotation at normal factory scheduled intervals for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Offer valid only for new 2020 Hyundai models purchased or leased after February 1, 2020. See your Hyundai dealer for further details and limitations.
what Hyundai should done in 2019

1 - 11 of 11 Posts