Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I'm hoping to get some help from this forum. I had my 2017 Hyundai Santa fe sport knock sensor recall done in Aug. A week later it went into EPM. They replaced the wiring harness. Well now 1500 miles later its gone into EPM again. I'm getting no answers from Hyundai as of right now. I'm still under the power train warranty only. The dealership will not give me a loaner car. Because they say anything could be wrong with it and I might not be covered with my powertrain warranty. They say they did a test and couldn't find anything. So they are waiting to hear from Hyundai to see what to do next. From what I read about this knock sensor recall. If the sensor detects a problem with the engine. It will put the vehicle in EPM and the engine light will blink. So why are they saying they don't know what is wrong with it. Here I am on day 2 with out a car to drive and no one will give me any answers. What is everyone's opinion on this. And if your vehicle went into EPM more then once. What ended up happening to your vehicle?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2nd EPM fix was 6-months ago with no issues as of now, several highway trips and several times RPM's jumped for uphill climbs but all is normal. If your issue started when car was new why wouldn't the original warranty still cover the problem since it's not been fixed. If mine goes out again I'll sell the car and never go back to Hyundai. They've always stood behind the 3 Hyundais I've owned so go direct to Hyundai or find another dealer that will help you. What's your mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has 64,000 on it. I received a call today from the Hyundai case worker for my car. She told me they would be replacing the knock sensor and I should recieve a loaner car or they would reimburse me for a rental. I then called the dealership service dept and I got some bs which I called her out on. The lady at the actual service department told me that they got my car "approved" for the part to be fixed at no charge to me. Because it wasn't covered under my warranty since I was over 50000 miles. Since I knew "per my case worker" that they were replacing my knock sensor and that sensor would be under warranty because of the recall. I ask what part would be replaced. When she said knock sensor. I then said so that part is part of the recall. Therefore it is covered under warranty. She then said yes, that Hyundai needed a paper trail because it COULD end up having to replace my engine. There is shady stuff going on and people need to keep their own paper trail over this knock sensor recall.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just insist on a decent loaner vehicle and let them do their work, you should be treated like a new car owner not an owner of a car with 60kmiles since the problem originated when new. Keep us posted please

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chiming in here, 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4. Had the knock sensor recall thing done in May this year and last week got the limp mode/flashing CEL.
Dealer did the wiring harness update this time; said they do not automatically do the wiring harness as part of the recall "unless needed."
Looks like same story as others above.
Jon

·
Registered
124 Posts
What did they replace 6 months ago? This is my 3rd Hyundai but it might end up being my last.
Thinking same thing Rob, especially if something else related to this occurs and I'm not take care of to my satisfaction. Already been doing research on what I'd buy. Selling the thing outright and leasing is tempting. Just take care of me (Hyundai) and you won't get negative comments to everyone I ever meet for the rest of my life about your products. These things are hard earned.:crying

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm calling my dealer service manager on Friday. My concern now is do these 2 replaced items (knock sensor replaced under a campaign and the wiring harness because of a "limp home" episode)... do these 2 replaced items still come under the 10year 100,000 mile power train warranty or do they now come under a lesser parts warranty? Hyundai corporate's answer leaves me guessing when I e-mailed them the question:
Hyundai has a Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty that covers the repair or replacement of any Hyundai genuine replacement part or accessory supplied from Hyundai Motor America (HMA) which is found to be defective in material or workmanship under normal use and maintenance. The Replacement Parts Limited Warranty period is limited to 1 year from the date of installation, or twelve thousand (12,000) miles of service, whichever occurs first, for Hyundai genuine replacement parts supplied by HMA and purchased from and installed by an authorized Hyundai dealer. Additionally, parts replaced under the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Powertrain Limited Warranty, Emission Defect Warranty, Emission Performance Warranty, or California Emission Control Systems Warranty are warranted for the remainder of the applicable warranty which the part was previously replaced under.

huh? which warranty... big difference between 1year and 10 years

·
Registered
124 Posts
Note (to self lol) local dealer service writer says (service manager "not available" and for this I trust the writer has seen plenty of examples to go by) anyhow he says my parts that were replaced are under the 5year New Vehicle Limited Warranty and NOT part of the 10 year Power Train warranty. Also he says Hyundai will stand behind these normally reliable vehicles beyond that time period. That has been my experience with my past 2 Hyundais. For now I'm OK (if I could just get rid of the pesky door rattle). I'll be keeping UTD on this thread. Now bout 14k miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
At the risk of boring everyone but at least to have my story written, here's my latest chapter in the saga of "limp home." Happened again 3 days ago, limp home, engine light on, went from 70 to 45, blessed to be only 2 miles from the dealership. Local dealership was very good to me with a nice rental (18 Ford Edge Platinum) (go ahead and keep my car), anyhew they replaced the knock sensor and good to go today. So... just to review car is still under 14k miles, has now had the knock sensor computer module replaced under their campaign, 1st Limp Home mode occurrence resulted in replacing the wiring harness and now the 2nd Limp Home mode results in the knock sensor being replaced. Love it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man... so sorry with all the "Limp Home" issues. I'm a lucky one and never had one. My 2014 2.0T was recalled around 65,000, passed the test and my warranty was extended to 120,000. Did Y'all not get the same extension? At 110,000 the motor blew up, spun bearings. Long story short.. New long block from the factory and now at 111,000 and ticking. My warranty is still 120,000. Hey EnonEye, lets see some photos of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 sport has gone into limp mode 3 times since original software update. There is a new update which isn't applied unless your santa fe goes into limp mode. Very disappointed with Hyundai's lack of concern for customers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anyone else get the class action suit notification mailed to them Hyundai agreed to regarding this computer module and the "limp home" engine failure warning light? Covers the engine block and it's components (rods pistons, bearings) lifetime If the owner has completed the final computer module replacement campaign.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Short update on our 2014 Santa Fe Sport knock sensor/limp home issue: We're screwed.
Long update: Dealer reports they did detect a knock problem and they will install a new wiring harness...when they find one. He reports wiring harnesses are on "national backorder" with no ETA. We have a loaner Sonata for the foreseeable future. BTW, the dealer confirms the wiring harness replacement is done to rule out other (unlikely) sources of engine knock (faulty ignition, bad sensors, electrical gremlins, etc). If the knock code is still there with the new wiring harness, they replace the engine. Hmmm...wonder how long that could take.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update not good. Car needs a new wiring harness and they are produced for each specific VIN so looking at mid to late May to get it back. I got shoehorned into an Elantra as a loaner. Talked with the GM after the service rep and service manager "could do nothing" about a handicapped person trying to get in and out of an Elantra. Car doesn't even have a grab bar as you enter / exit the vehicle. The GM, after speaking privately with the service manager, told me they would let me know as soon as a more appropriate vehicle is turned back in to Hertz for my use. I won't hold my breath and will give them 48 hours before I'm back on them, hopefully I don't injure myself trying to get in/out of this sardine can. Car us under 9k miles, 3rd issue with it now, and I haven't even mentioned a small defective detail about it yet. I don't want them to get too confused at the dealership. :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Update, 14 months since last update and zero issues, even put luxury tires on the car and it's like a different vehicle after replacing the "hard as rock" factory tires. So... just to review... car is now under 18k miles, has now had the knock sensor computer module replaced under their campaign, 1st Limp Home mode occurrence resulted in replacing the wiring harness and then the 2nd Limp Home mode resulted in the knock sensor being replaced. No out of pocket costs to me, but just now feeling comfortable in the car and enjoying a 2018 model. Hopeful I just got off to a bad start (2 years)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

New to this forum and trying to get some help on a possible solution to my issue. I have a 2013 SF Sport with over 224,000 kms on it. I’m the original owner and had a new engine replaced last September at 218,053 kms under the recall. I thought I had won the lottery as I love my car and it’s my daily driver as a sales rep. I picked the car up from the dealer last September and it was driving like a brand new car again. A couple of weeks later my wife and I went on a bit of a vacation.

On the first day of our trip I was on a highway behind some slower traffic on a hill and decided to pull out and pass. The vehicle down shifted and that‘s when my issues started. The RPMs went through the roof and I lost all power. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the vehicle to provide any power or go over 80km/hr. Long story short, I now realize that it went into limp mode. When I pulled over and turned the car off I couldn’t find anything obvious so I started it back up and we drove off as if everything was normal again. BTW, there was no CEL or other odd things happening. We dropped the car off at a dealership the next day and they confirmed the issue on a test drive and they said that a code was stored that indicated the waste gate was the issue. They called me up and said that my waste gate actuator was out of spec so they adjusted that into the proper voltage range and the car was driving perfectly. The next day we picked up the car and within 10km of the dealership the car did the same thing. We literally limped through the rest of the week until we could get home. I should also note that the car only went into limp mode when I was heavy on the pedal and the turbo kicked in.

After a lot of back and forth with my local dealer that replaced the engine I decided to pull the trigger on having a new waste gate actuator installed. After dropping over $800 on that service I figured all was right with the car again. I drove it hard for a few longer work trips making the turbo kick in right away from stops as well as passing at high speeds. After two weeks the car started doing the same thing. My dealer has no clue what to do so I have just been driving the car tenderly without issue since then. I am so angry about this issue since I felt like the new engine was the best thing that could have happened to me and now I feel like I am going to be bled dry trying to get this issue sorted.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, but I thought that I would post this for reference purposes as well. I will update my post as I continue to find a fix to my issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good morning all,

Curious to see if anyone has had the same issue i just went through.

I was driving and all was fine, then all of a sudden it's as if my 2017 Santa Fe Sport Limited went into a "Limp Home Mode" I could not get over 40MPH and my RMP was at 5ooo+, and i had no error codes on dash. I was in luck and already going to the dealer and only a few miles away. When i got there i had the Service Manager get in to see how it was driving and he acknowledged that something was definitely wrong. When we got back to the shop he searched for an error code and system was showing everything was operation properly.
Sorry you had such grief. I purchased a used 2017 Santa Fe Sport ULTIMATE. Never had a day's problem with the car, of any kind.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts