Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

ISG - Idle Stop/Go or also known as Auto Stop/Start

16K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  joemsj51 
#1 ·
There is a thread on this topic regarding the Auto Start/Stop in the Santa Fe News, Concepts & Rumor Discussion. Since we now have a 2019+ Santa Fe Forum, I'll start this same topic here. For reference, here is the original post in the News, Concepts and Rumor Discussion.
Https://www.santafeforums.com/2019-santa-fe-auto-engine-stop-start-t14097.html I'm new to this forum and there are restrictions on posting as a new member. I've tried to post regarding the Auto Stop/Start multiple times so if you happen to see more than one post, guess the moderator finally approved one of the other posts.

The Auto Stop/Start feature (Idle Stop/Go or ISG) is one that I suspect will generate a great deal of emotion from various drivers. Some really like it, some really don't like it. I'm not here to argue whether or not this is a good or bad idea, rather the intent is to share information amongst the forum members.

Personally, I'm in the camp of "I don't like it" and wish I could default the feature to not be active every time the car is started. I don't like having to push the ISG button upon startup. I also have a Ford F150 with this feature, and it has been disabled on my F150 (there are about 8 documented ways to disable this feature on the F150). If anyone figures out how to default this to be disenabled upon startup, or finds a way to bypass this feature, I'd be interested... Please share. And just to be clear, I'm for a way to cleanly do this and not void warranty or have to rewire the car so to speak, or hack the car up. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, in the original post on this topic, there was mention that it is hard to know if/when the ISG will actually engage as it does not always engage at every stop. While I don't have too many details on all the criteria necessary for the Santa Fe, since I have a Ford F150, their user manual is pretty explicit about the criteria and parameters necessary for this feature to engage on those vehicles. While it is not specific to the Santa Fe, it is probably similar. So, I'll provide the details from the F150 just as a reference and to give some idea of why the Auto Stop/Start may or may not engage at a given time. See attached file: F150AutoStopStart.pdf

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You can see I responded to your url link back on the other thread Oct 24 when my 2019 SF was BRAND NEW. After 2 mons & mostly in town 1050 miles this ISG has kicked in a fair amount, although it's unpredictable especially in winter when even after driving a few miles the ISG's off & little circled A is still orange. There are long stop lights where I'm fine with it kicking in and saving a few cents worth of gas, but not a fan when it stops by my mail box or entering the garage. It's much smoother than a Chevy Malibu rental that I had in FL last winter.

I really think this and having large 4 cylinder engines (including all mfrs having turbo 4's vs small V6s w/much simpler maintenance) is due to the USGov forcing these fuel efficiencies standards. Subaru Outback and Jeep Cherokees can be ordered with a 6 and RAV4 is only a straight 4 (or hybrid) but all the other compact/mid size popular CUVs seem to have a turbo 4. So we save a few gals of gas each year with ISG but need more frequent batteries and starters?

#4 ·
I really think this and having large 4 cylinder engines (including all mfrs having turbo 4's vs small V6s w/much simpler maintenance) is due to the USGov forcing these fuel efficiencies standards. Subaru Outback and Jeep Cherokees can be ordered with a 6 and RAV4 is only a straight 4 (or hybrid) but all the other compact/mid size popular CUVs seem to have a turbo 4. So we save a few gals of gas each year with ISG but need more frequent batteries and starters?

FYI: Subaru’s use CVT’s as their transmission. They are much more fuel efficient, but there’s been recalls on them, so I don’t consider them reliable. I know, I Own One!
If there is a repair needed on a Subaru cvt, out of warranty, you’re looking at a $7-10,000 CDN repair bill ! That is a hard pill to swallow.

They’ve done this recall in such a way that it doesn’t show up on car reviews, so it looks like they are more reliable than they actually are.
A straight 6 or 8 sp tranny, from another manufacturer, is much more reliable that Subaru’s cvt. Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Just replaced my 2015 Forester XT with a 2019 SF. The Forester received a new CVT under warranty last week and my son now drives it. The car has 179,000 kms on it and I am quite comfortable that it will serve him well. Was impressed that Subaru honoured the warranty given the kms on it.

#7 ·
Had the cvt replaced on the Forester at 135 K. Now at over 140k. Warranty runs out at 160K. I am then on my own.
The Warranty should go from the time the new tranny is put in, and then expire xxx km afterwards, Not at 160.
It’s Subaru’s problem - they should be responsible and fix in case of a 2nd failure.
Anyway, that’s why I’m now looking at a Santa Fe.

Please let me know how it compares to the Forester.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Just FYI... there are some ways to default ISG to OFF (inactive). Some methods are more involved than others. I've documented some of these in another forum. Of course, you can review and see if any method appeals to you and your needs. Hope you find what you need.

Since the Forum will not allow me to post the entire URL here, you will have to put all these pieces together to "build" the URL. (take out the spaces in the line below to create the full URL)

https:// www. hyundai-forums .com/threads/ options-to-manage-the-isg-idle-stop-and-go-function.658336/#post-5936672

#13 ·
Here is another option from Shark Racing.....
https://sharkracing.com/isg-and-auto-hold-memory-module-various-applications/
This module will default the ISG to OFF. You must wire it into your vehicle (remove the center console top and splice it in). Their instructions splice into the main car harness, if you prefer you can splice into the short wire harness on the bottom of the console cover (message me if you are interested in this approach). This module can also default the Auto Hold to ON if desired. Shark Racing also has a module to remember your heated/cooled seat settings, as well as a module to lock/unlock doors upon approach. Hope you can find something that works for your needs..... :grin

#15 ·
Here is another option from Shark Racing.....
https://sharkracing.com/isg-and-auto-hold-memory-module-various-applications/
This module will default the ISG to OFF. You must wire it into your vehicle (remove the center console top and splice it in). Their instructions splice into the main car harness, if you prefer you can splice into the short wire harness on the bottom of the console cover (message me if you are interested in this approach). This module can also default the Auto Hold to ON if desired. Shark Racing also has a module to remember your heated/cooled seat settings, as well as a module to lock/unlock doors upon approach. Hope you can find something that works for your needs..... :grin

No need to do all that.
Just grab a toothpick and during the event where the Start-Stop is engaged to the on-position, jam a toothpick into the side of the switch. Then break-off the excess.

I've take my Hyundai and Kia vehicles to dealer for service 3-4 times and no objections from the Service Department, on my side-stepping procedure.

#19 ·
The only negatives to the Start-Stop feature are premature wearing of the button and premature wearing out of the starter.

Wait - there is a third negative and it drives my wife nuts.
Sometimes a light jerking takes place when the engine shuts off at a red light. I've felt that numerous times also.
The feature was designed as another means for manufacturers to reach the CAFE MPG Mandates of the US Government. Every 0.5% increase in gas mileage becomes important for borderline reachers like the Hyundai / Kia group.

--------------
This will be my last post at this website. I hate it when I ask administration a PM question and they don't answer.
See Ya'

Reactions: kyle chai
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.