Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At highway speeds my 2013 SF Sport seems to wander a bit. I need to make a lot of corrections with the steering wheel to maintain a straight track. I'm getting more used to this now, but when I first got the vehicle it was a bit unnerving at times. Has anyone else noticed this quirk?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At highway speeds my 2013 SF Sport seems to wander a bit. I need to make a lot of corrections with the steering wheel to maintain a straight track. I'm getting more used to this now, but when I first got the vehicle it was a bit unnerving at times. Has anyone else noticed this quirk?
Never thought I would be replying to my own post. Lol! After having my SFS for almost 3 months now, I can honestly say the "wandering" is not noticed as much. I'm sure the car has not corrected itself, it's just that I have become accustomed to the driving characteristics of this vehicle that I don't even notice it anymore. As a matter of fact, I love the way the SFS drives and I look forward to taking it out on the highway whenever I get in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got my Sport 2.0T and have driven it 1000 miles. I thought the same thing at first but now believe that it has to do with whether I am driving in sport mode or comfort mode, etc. In sport mode, my steering feels to be real sensitive and I have to do a lot of correcting. In comfort mode, car tracks like an arrow to me. Having said that, I absolutely love this car!!!! Real solid feel and great performance. Best car decision I have made in a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got my Sport 2.0T and have driven it 1000 miles. I thought the same thing at first but now believe that it has to do with whether I am driving in sport mode or comfort mode, etc. In sport mode, my steering feels to be real sensitive and I have to do a lot of correcting. In comfort mode, car tracks like an arrow to me. Having said that, I absolutely love this car!!!! Real solid feel and great performance. Best car decision I have made in a long time.
Well happy trails to you. I will try the different steering modes to see which one works best for me. I just left it in sport mode and never really drove it very much in the other modes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read many complaints about this issue but I've either never noticed an issue or my Santa Fe just doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard the same thing. Supposed to use sport mode on highway and Comfort mode to park. Someone said it is in the owners manual...

·
Registered
41 Posts

I noticed the same thing when I first got mine...(though it would track straight when taking my hands off the wheel for a short time)...

Now, approaching 9,000 miles later, I don`t notice a thing...and have gotten used to the way it handles...(actually, I love the way it handles)

I`m guessing it`s probably the same way folks thought about 'power steering' when it first came out..(just dated myself)...Some even thought power steering was dangerous, as the steering was so sensitive compared to what they were used to...

Anyway, for what it`s worth, that`s my take on it..

Enjoy your ride...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed it a little, and read about it in some online reviews, so I've been sensitive about it, but it's no more twitchy than any of the other cars I've driven recently. Honestly, I can't stand driving in anything but sport mode; the other two are too light, especially comfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The "wandering" feeling is really just that, a feeling. It's a product of electric steering I believe vs. hydro. I'm used to it now. The steering is VERY accurate, so even a slight movement registers well and I used to over correct often, but not anymore!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The "wandering" feeling is really just that, a feeling. It's a product of electric steering I believe vs. hydro. I'm used to it now. The steering is VERY accurate, so even a slight movement registers well and I used to over correct often, but not anymore!
This is probably very accurate. In also notice it when I drive the SFS but have not put many miles on it yet. I used to notice it on my F150, which also has electric power steering, but I no longer notice it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like it only in Sports mode, the other modes give me too lose a feel for my liking. I guess it's a very individual choice.

I love the way my Santa Fe feels & handles which no doubt is very different from my Ford earlier which was too sharp. Outstanding dynamics (like in Ford) require lot of constant effort to drive & which is something I no longer enjoy, intact I have started treating it as a punishment, as driving is not as relaxing as in a Santa Fe.

Hyundai as per me have done a brilliant work with Santa Fe's handling & overall drive feel. It somehow as per me is the right balance - neither too soft neither too precise.

Choose the mode that best suits your tastes......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently purchased used 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T FWD. Took first long trip from NY to Fla.Definitely is a Highway Wanderer. Had tires pumped up to 40+PSI and thought that was problem.Lowered tires to 33 and it helped a little.
Tried all 3 steering modes and normal seemed the best, but it still was wandering. Took in for wheel alignment and found rear wheel caster off but no caster adjustment possible(nothing appears to be bent).
Just set the tow Front & Rear to spec and will see if it helped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something to consider.. Tire quality.. Some tires are not as of high quality as others, so buy a quality name brand tire. My 2015 came with Kumho it is a ok tire but I will change them out soon to YOKOHAMA Parada Spec X High Performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I will be buying new tires after the summer.
The wandering is less noticeable after the wheel alignment but it is still annoying.
I am not happy that I was unable to get rear wheel alignment adjusted to specs & I believe that is the real problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts