Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was getting ready to take apart our new SF hybrid so I could swap the USB data port with the USB charge only port under the console. There is no good place to secure it in the cupholder area. So glad I figured out an alternative. I wasn't looking forward to taking apart the entire console. It's the Carlink module and I put some felt tape on it so it wouldn't scratch up the cover.

Automotive design Trunk Audio equipment Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Personal luxury car Carbon Gadget Automotive design Auto part

Communication Device Gadget Cameras & optics Finger Automotive design

·
Registered
63 Posts
But you cannot close the cover, right? My wife wouldn't like that. Ha ha. I use that port to charge my phone (CarPlay turned off on my phone), which I put where the wireless charger is (turned off) with insert removed, and with a black 1-ft cable, and cover closed. My wife uses the same setup with her phone, with CP on, and works perfectly. The wireless charger is crap, so you need to connect a cable anyway, especially if you're using the phone (which most of the time we are), so a wireless adapter seems like a waste of money for us.

At any rate, if I had to use that adapter, I'd use a longer cable, connect it like you did, but attach the unit under the dash out of view somewhere. There must be a hole somewhere behind the cover, no? You could fish the cable, and avoid removing the console, which I'd absolutely avoid doing too :).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But you cannot close the cover, right? My wife wouldn't like that. Ha ha. I use that port to charge my phone (CarPlay turned off on my phone), which I put where the wireless charger is (turned off) with insert removed, and with a black 1-ft cable, and cover closed. My wife uses the same setup with her phone, with CP on, and works perfectly. The wireless charger is crap, so you need to connect a cable anyway, especially if you're using the phone (which most of the time we are), so a wireless adapter seems like a waste of money for us.

At any rate, if I had to use that adapter, I'd use a longer cable, connect it like you did, but attach the unit under the dash out of view somewhere. There must be a hole somewhere behind the cover, no? You could fish the cable, and avoid removing the console, which I'd absolutely avoid doing too :).
Correct you cannot close the cover with the module behind it. I don't see us ever closing that cover. The cup holders are sparse as it is. If I was going to close the cover I'd just put the CP module in the cup holder. My wife doesn't like CP so it won't be plugged in most of the time. We will use it on trips for Waze and Spotify. I bought it a while ago to use with my '20 GMC AT4 (which by the way has four data capable USBs - two USB-C and two regular - and an additional USB-C and regular in the back seats which aren't data capable).

Yes the wireless charger is very slow and the phone gets pretty warm. Not a great design. On my trip home from Houston after buying the SF my phone wouldn't get above 78%. Turns out that the optimized charging on my Iphone finally started working. Turned it off and my phone started charging again.

How is the charging speed from the USB? Is it high speed or just a regular 1 amp USB?

I searched for a hole and couldn't find one. You could drill a hole and install a grommet but I won't be doing that.

One thing I do like about the wireless charger is that it dings on power off so you don't forget your phone. My Kona and our Telluride also did that.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Vehicle door Car Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive design

1 - 3 of 3 Posts