Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2022 Santa Fe back in late August and it already says the GPS is outdated. In looking at an update it says I need a 64 gb thumb drive. Does that sound right? If so once downloaded which USB port in the car do you put the thumb drive in. Is there one by the info system I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a new 2022 Santa Fe back in late August and it already says the GPS is outdated. In looking at an update it says I need a 64 gb thumb drive. Does that sound right? If so once downloaded which USB port in the car do you put the thumb drive in. Is there one by the info system I'm not seeing?
I updated mine recently, it's the USB port in the center console, below the trans shifter buttons. It took about 30 minutes to download and install the update on the flash drive. Then took another 45 minutes to upload it to the system in the car.
I didn't see any difference. For me their NAV system is a joke and waste of time. You have to press so many buttons to get the nav directions. Then it takes you weird ways. And it won't let you do anything while you are driving or even sitting at a light. Not even voice commands to enter the address, it has to be done ONLY IN PARK. Even the voice commands only allow you to speak the categories, that is a complete joke.

I just connect my phone to that same USB port and use Google Maps. I finally figured out how to use Google Maps from the phone, and then get the radio working. You have to press the MODE button on the steering wheel. The the map stays there with the radio next to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks
If you can remember, can you list the steps you used in getting google maps and the radio working? is it just as simple as PRESSING the MODE button on the steering wheel. If not I'm 75 so may have to get the 5-year-old next door to help me. 🤣

·
Registered
64 Posts
thanks
If you can remember, can you list the steps you used in getting google maps and the radio working? is it just as simple as PRESSING the MODE button on the steering wheel. If not I'm 75 so may have to get the 5-year-old next door to help me. 🤣
It's easy, but I don't think it's in the manual anywhere. But it only works if you have the phone connected to the usb port in the console. (The one below the transmission shift buttons) The USB ports behind the console are chargers only.

... Install Android Auto app on your phone. (I'm not sure if it works with Apple this way)
... Connect your phone to the USB port in the console.
... I wait about 10 seconds to make sure the radio says Media Connected.
... Press the MEDIA button on the console panel. It's next to the RADIO button. Now you can see Google Maps and a button to open other apps. (This is now using the Android Auto app)
...To get the radio working, press the MODE button on the steering wheel (left side). Now you can use the right side of the display to view the radio mode and stations. AM, FM, SATELLITE.
... I also do this to play music from Spotify or Prime Music in the Android app.
That's It !

Sometimes I have an issue in this mode where the touch screen stops working. I think it's the Android Auto app causing it. I will have to press the RADIO button on the console panel, then back to MEDIA and it works again.

Good luck. Please post your results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's easy, but I don't think it's in the manual anywhere. But it only works if you have the phone connected to the usb port in the console. (The one below the transmission shift buttons) The USB ports behind the console are chargers only.

... Install Android Auto app on your phone. (I'm not sure if it works with Apple this way)
... Press the MEDIA button on the console panel. It's next to the RADIO button. Now you can see Google Maps and a button to open other apps. (This is now using the Android Auto app)
...To get the radio working, press the MODE button on the steering wheel (left side). Now you can use the right side of the display to view the radio mode and stations. AM, FM, SATELLITE.
... I also do this to play music from Spotify or Prime Music in the Android app.
That's It !

Sometimes I have an issue in this mode where the touch screen stops working. I think it's the Android Auto app causing it. I will have to press the RADIO button on the console panel, then back to MEDIA and it works again.

Will do in a couple of days

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That's It !

I've chicken out. I got as far as getting the 64-thumb drive and downloaded the map to it but I'm worried about me screwing something up so I'm going to hold off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've chicken out. I got as far as getting the 64-thumb drive and downloaded the map to it but I'm worried about me screwing something up so I'm going to hold off.
The system update is really easy. Once you have the flash drive inserted into the port, go to the settings menu and find the area for the system update. But again it takes time. So be patient.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The system update is really easy. Once you have the flash drive inserted into the port, go to the settings menu and find the area for the system update. But again it takes time. So be patient.
CaptainJackOC
I'm going to bite the bullet and update as the GPS is not accurate and starting to p___ me off. Any way I put my new Thumb drive in my computer and was going to format it and it asked me to choose one of these formats exFat or NTFS. All my stuff is Win10 and NTFS, never heard of "exFat". Is that something Hyundai uses? On that particular Thumb drive which format should I use?

·
Registered
64 Posts
CaptainJackOC
I'm going to bite the bullet and update as the GPS is not accurate and starting to p___ me off. Any way I put my new Thumb drive in my computer and was going to format it and it asked me to choose one of these formats exFat or NTFS. All my stuff is Win10 and NTFS, never heard of "exFat". Is that something Hyundai uses? On that particular Thumb drive which format should I use?
Use EXFAT formatting. NTFS is only when using it on a Windows computer. ExFat is just a generic format. It will erase anything else already on the flash drive.

And from what I recall, it took 30-40 minutes for it to download and install it onto the drive. Then when using it in the car to run the update, that took another 45 minutes. And you can't use the system during that time. I just sat in the garage and basically took a nap during that time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use EXFAT formatting. NTFS is only when using it on a Windows computer. ExFat is just a generic format. It will erase anything else already on the flash drive.

And from what I recall, it took 30-40 minutes for it to download and install it onto the drive. Then when using it in the car to run the update, that took another 45 minutes. And you can't use the system during that time. I just sat in the garage and basically took a nap during that time.
are there prompts walking you through once the t-drive is inserted? how do you know the process is finished?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts