Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, just bought a 2021 Santa Fe limited AWD. According to Hyundai, all models have an 18.8 gallon fuel tank. Ours is under 15 gallons, I know because I ran it past the fuel warning. Anyone know why the discrepancy? Also for folks looking at these we picked ours up in Salt Lake city, AWD is harder to come buy in our area. Anyhow we put about 700 miles on the car taking it easy (mostly under 55 for break in) and seeing the sights in Utah. Then we booked home about 500 miles at 75-80 mph. Gas mileage at those speeds was 28-29 mpg using the smart mode. Impressive. So far love the car, a lot of tech hope it holds up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Regarding my post above (I don't do social media so I don't know how to edit it) the manual states the fuel capacity is 70.8 U.S. quarts, that would be about 17.7 gallons.....Hyundai website says 18.8, the book says 17.7, I ran it down to a few miles remaining and after the fuel warning went on and all I could put in was about 14.5 gallons. Is my gauge off?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a difference between total volume and "useable" volume (like light aircraft). You might find that if you ran the fuel down so that the vehicle actually stopped then refilled, then you might need to put in 17+ gal to completely fill....but I wouldn't go that far! There's an inbuilt safety margin in regards to the refill warning light ...not good practice to run it dry... the fuel pump needs to be kept "wet" . running it dry will in all likelihood do some damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a difference between total volume and "useable" volume (like light aircraft). You might find that if you ran the fuel down so that the vehicle actually stopped then refilled, then you might need to put in 17+ gal to completely fill....but I wouldn't go that far! There's an inbuilt safety margin in regards to the refill warning light ...not good practice to run it dry... the fuel pump needs to be kept "wet" . running it dry will in all likelihood do some damage.
Yeah, I don't think that applies here. The Hyundai website number means four gallons of fuel and over 100 miles of range would still remain after the gauge warning light has come on and fewer than a 12 mile range was left showing on the indicator. If you use the 17.7 gallon number from the owners manual that still would leave a better than 3 gallon surplus. That's a very long filler neck. Of course if you're fuel pump is "dry" you're out of gas. Not good unless you like walking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts