Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a 250 mi road trip (500 RT) to visit family, driving from Minnesota to Wisconson this weekend, our first sorta long road trip since buying our new Santa Fe late October. We'd done a 160 mi RT trip in early December returning in a minor snow storm but this weekend we lucked out, all the snow stayed south of us in Illinois except for a real brief squall by the WI Dells. Some observations in my Limited AWD 2.4L now at 1700mi:

1. Smart Cruise Control works great almost too great. I'd played with it a bit on shorter drives but had it set 95% of the time. I tend to drive with the smaller digital speed in the middle of the steering wheel instrument cluster display, occasionally flipping into the MPG monitoring. The SCC is so smooth you'll not notice coming up on trucks you slow down to 68 or so if you're not paying attention, so I guess the Front Collision Avoidance works too. I drove in both Comfort and Smart modes all except #3 below, so when you do go left to pass the car takes a bit to downshift & get to speed (not a problem unless a speed demon comes up on you German autobahn style and you're going uphill).

2. Lane Keeping Assist/LKA sorta works ok especially in daytime. For some reason MN roads have less steering wheel "jiggle" than WI, is it different road paint but I'd think the Feds put specs on that for interstate freeways? I shut off LKA for a while in WI but eventually found if I keep both hands rested on the bottom center wheel it would "drive itself" when the traffic wasn't too heavy. Obviously me as driver is still totally focused on the road and I need to do lane changes to pass, but the SF will handle most minor freeway curves. The problems are an exit ramp on a curve with no dotted lines to follow on right, you get a couple beeps. And it doesn't work near as well at night despite the LED headlights on the Limited. But still makes for an easier long drive just don't FIGHT the LKA, or just shut if off to drive it the old way.

3. Miles per gallon is ok as I did not expect stellar numbers. I get around 22 in town using remote starts during cold MN winter and as high as 29 on an earlier 65+ mph 75 mi drive. I've checked and filling up at Costco my dash MPG is actually 1 MPG -worse- than real MPG measured at the pump however yesterday filling at a convenience chain that has top tier 91 with no ethanol I showed dash 1 MPG better than at that WI pump. Whatever, they are close?
- We got 27.5 MPG one way MN to WI using 10% ethanol gas, no wind, no confession but may have been slightly over 70 :angel
- We got 29 MPG return using 91 no ethanol, same speed, no wind but gas was $.80/gal more than 87 (I have a reason I did it just once, no plans to use 91 octane long term since paying $9.60 more to get 1.5 MPG better is silly)

- I used Comfort or Smart (really seems like Comfort most of the time) but switched to Sport when I needed to enter the freeway then get across 5 lanes of traffice in 2 miles for a left exit. 14 MPG for 3 miles gunning it. Won't do that often, tach never dropped below 3k rpm and normal using Smart at 70mph is 2k rpm. Just nice to know the SF can really get tromped if you need it and not hit 5k rpm either. Note our old Jeep GC small V8 got 14mpg in city on a good day, 19 on freeway so getting 22/28 in Santa Fe is a big improvement but not as good as RAV4 or CRV.

Oh yes, using myHyundai Android app even after yesterday's 220 mi drive half in dark now my battery only shows 82% charged, huh?

Sorry for this long post, hopefully stir up some feedback from this quiet group. Any other 300, even 1000 mi or km road trips?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We took a 250 mi road trip (500 RT) to visit family, driving from Minnesota to Wisconson this weekend, our first sorta long road trip since buying our new Santa Fe late October. We'd done a 160 mi RT trip in early December returning in a minor snow storm but this weekend we lucked out, all the snow stayed south of us in Illinois except for a real brief squall by the WI Dells. Some observations in my Limited AWD 2.4L now at 1700mi:

1. Smart Cruise Control works great almost too great. I'd played with it a bit on shorter drives but had it set 95% of the time. I tend to drive with the smaller digital speed in the middle of the steering wheel instrument cluster display, occasionally flipping into the MPG monitoring. The SCC is so smooth you'll not notice coming up on trucks you slow down to 68 or so if you're not paying attention, so I guess the Front Collision Avoidance works too. I drove in both Comfort and Smart modes all except #3 below, so when you do go left to pass the car takes a bit to downshift & get to speed (not a problem unless a speed demon comes up on you German autobahn style and you're going uphill).

2. Lane Keeping Assist/LKA sorta works ok especially in daytime. For some reason MN roads have less steering wheel "jiggle" than WI, is it different road paint but I'd think the Feds put specs on that for interstate freeways? I shut off LKA for a while in WI but eventually found if I keep both hands rested on the bottom center wheel it would "drive itself" when the traffic wasn't too heavy. Obviously me as driver is still totally focused on the road and I need to do lane changes to pass, but the SF will handle most minor freeway curves. The problems are an exit ramp on a curve with no dotted lines to follow on right, you get a couple beeps. And it doesn't work near as well at night despite the LED headlights on the Limited. But still makes for an easier long drive just don't FIGHT the LKA, or just shut if off to drive it the old way.

3. Miles per gallon is ok as I did not expect stellar numbers. I get around 22 in town using remote starts during cold MN winter and as high as 29 on an earlier 65+ mph 75 mi drive. I've checked and filling up at Costco my dash MPG is actually 1 MPG -worse- than real MPG measured at the pump however yesterday filling at a convenience chain that has top tier 91 with no ethanol I showed dash 1 MPG better than at that WI pump. Whatever, they are close?
- We got 27.5 MPG one way MN to WI using 10% ethanol gas, no wind, no confession but may have been slightly over 70 :angel
- We got 29 MPG return using 91 no ethanol, same speed, no wind but gas was $.80/gal more than 87 (I have a reason I did it just once, no plans to use 91 octane long term since paying $9.60 more to get 1.5 MPG better is silly)

- I used Comfort or Smart (really seems like Comfort most of the time) but switched to Sport when I needed to enter the freeway then get across 5 lanes of traffice in 2 miles for a left exit. 14 MPG for 3 miles gunning it. Won't do that often, tach never dropped below 3k rpm and normal using Smart at 70mph is 2k rpm. Just nice to know the SF can really get tromped if you need it and not hit 5k rpm either. Note our old Jeep GC small V8 got 14mpg in city on a good day, 19 on freeway so getting 22/28 in Santa Fe is a big improvement but not as good as RAV4 or CRV.

Oh yes, using myHyundai Android app even after yesterday's 220 mi drive half in dark now my battery only shows 82% charged, huh?

Sorry for this long post, hopefully stir up some feedback from this quiet group. Any other 300, even 1000 mi or km road trips?
I have not been on a long drive, just a couple short drives and local driving.

Smart Cruise: I love the feature, and the "smart" feature works well on mine. One thing I've noticed is that Cruise does not hold its speed well (when nobody is in front of you). I can set cruise at 78 (speed limit is 75) and the car speed will slow to 75 or 76 and stay there for extended periods of time/distance (as in miles). I've never had a car that allowed this much variation in the cruise speed so it is a bit to get used to. On top of that, I've noticed the speedometer is off by 2 mph at 78 mph. I've compared car speed to multiple GPS units, roadside radar signs, etc. and other traffic. So, I find I have to set cruise at about 81 so I can try to maintain about 78 or 79 on the interstate. Not thrilled on this but guess I'll get used to it.

LKA: I use this all the time, just a good help. I have not used it much at night so I don't have any valid input there. But, appreciate your input and will watch to see how mine reacts at night. I find left turn lanes can be a bit challenging as it tries to pull to the left until the painted stripe returns in view. Not that it is bad, but it does pull slightly to the left at times. I will continue to use this function especially during the daytime and will see how it works at night.

MPG: I find the vehicle is overly optimistic on MPG - by about 1 to 1.5 MPG. I have tracked all mileage and fuel usage from day one on Fuelly (1200 miles so far). My current average is 24.7, which is less than the car calculates (every tank the car is more optimistic than hand calculated). If it were only one tank, might be OK but so far, it has been every tank turns out this way. I'll continue to watch Fuelly to see how I compare to the masses, but when I first added my car to Fuelly (September) there were not any other 2019 Santa Fe's with the 2.4 engine. We'll see..... Wish the speedo was a bit more accurate. I know my F150 truck was the same way, and there is a way to adjust the vehicle fuel usage calculation so I've been able to adjust it for my truck. If someone finds a way to do this on the SF, I'd love to know so it was a bit more accurate.

Most of my driving has been in Comfort. I've just recently tried the Smart mode. Too early to tell much difference (in my opinion). So, at this point, I don't have a lot of input on this topic. Maybe when I get more miles on it I'll have more input.

BlueLink and battery charge. I've went south for a few weeks. My SF is at home in the garage. I put a battery maintainer on the car before I left home. When I left, battery was at 68%. Four days later, was at 76%. Then I lost the ability to get a Status from the Bluelink app. I finally called bluelink support 2 weeks later and asked them why I could not get a current status. Was told: the Status function will only work for 4 days after the last vehicle start. What the heck (not the work I'd like to use). What if I left the car parked at the airport? You will lose the ability to see the status after 4 days, unless you remotely start and stop it. I cannot do that since my SF is parked in the
garage (we all know how bad that would be). A big shortcoming in the tool in my opinion. If I remember, I might post an update of the battery charge once I get home since the SF has been on the maintainer for a few weeks now. While I had Bluelink support on the phone they told me anything from 60% charge to 100% charge is GOOD. (I'm just repeating what I was told). I also asked the Bluelink support agent about the remote find and why I couldn't remote find my SF now. This feature only works if you are within a 1 mile radius of the vehicle. So, if you go to a concert or department store and forget where you parked, this could be helpful. Outside the 1 mile radius, you won't get a location. Which led me to the question of stolen vehicle and tracking.... was told you'd have to file a police report, call bluelink support and then they could track the vehicle, and even slow the speed of the car if needed to assist in recovery with the help of the police. OK this is good to know but hope I'll never need it. Wish there was a good manual on Bluelink which explains how things work, and the limitations with each feature.
While there are some things I don't like, overall I'm happy with my SF Just need to get used to some of the uniqueness of the vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great review & congrats on the 2.4 AWD. Thanks for all the info.

Won’t be getting another vehicle not until another year or two. Just hanging around the forums to see what pops up for now.

For now, thinking about a RAV4, SantaFe, Sorento.
*Leaning towards the SF 2.4 AWD so far. I think it may be more reliable than the 2.0T, although that extra oomph would be nice. We’ll wait and see as more of these new SF’s hit the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
GMAN- Go with the Santa Fe. RAV4 is much smaller- the interior is cheap looking (I rented one today for a business trip) and lacks the technology and ride quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2nd WI RT, MPG worse & weird thing

We took a 250 mi road trip (500 RT) to visit family, driving from Minnesota to Wisconson this weekend, our first sorta long road trip since buying our new Santa Fe late October. We'd done a 160 mi RT trip in early December returning in a minor snow storm but this weekend we lucked out, all the snow stayed south of us in Illinois except for a real brief squall by the WI Dells. Some observations in my Limited AWD 2.4L now at .......
So I quoted myself from Jan 14 as I took basically the same trip this past weekend although closer to 450 miles roundtrip (vs 500 in January) since it was so flipping cold we didn't run around much. The Smart cruise and Lane assist worked fine as before. I've learned with the cruise when coming up on slower right lane traffic I keep my right thumb by the Cancel steering wheel button and just press the gas to smoothly go into the left lane vs artificially slow down then re-accelerate, & then click Resume. Couple other comments:

1. MPG was slightly worse. 28 mpg on the way there 70+ mph vs 29 for same trip in January. That's a car reading (I was down south for a month+ returning 10 days ago right before our blizzard so actual gas fill readings all messed up). Returning was only 24 mpg but into a 20 mph head wind, record wind chills. Sure didn't expect record cold after biggest snowstorm in decades, after weeks in the 80s down south, glad we got away. BTW SF did fine on bad snow & ice roads a week ago, been in 4WD LOCK quite a bit in slow rural roads.

2. Weird thing. Sat night parked outside at my kid's house my wife got back in a different car and the parked SF hatch was WIDE OPEN @ 10pm. Thankfully it's a small rural town but when I'd last driven it at 7pm the hatch was shut, we didn't even use the hatch. All I can think of is when I was going to bed I folded my jeans with the smart fob in the pocket and the chapstick plastic pressed the car fob hatch button?!?! Needless to say the fob rested on the dresser overnight and I used the myHyundai app to check status at 11pm and next morning 7am (I'd backed in and couldn't see the hatch w/o going outside). Nothing in the car to steal but LESSON HERE: carry the key fob alone in the pocket. Somehow my wife needs to ensure her purse stuff won't do the same. Never had that happen in 7 years on my Camry fob accidently opening the trunk, so need to watch this & see if it's somehow the way the SF fob's laid out. I did remote start my older Grand Cherokee once bending over the the fob in my pocket, and that took two presses to do.

SF now at 2400 mi, pretty low for one new Oct 21 but was a mild winter prior to us leaving Jan 20 for FL & it's seen a lot of use the past 10 days after the mega-storm. Still very satisfied with purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts