Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the forum and new to Hyundai. We just bought, yesterday, a 2022 plug-in hybrid. So far we love it. It is predominantly my wife's car, but we bought it to offset my gas guzzling Dodge Ram 1500 and Jeep Wrangler. I think we felt like we had to reduce our carbon footprint some how. Are there any other PHEV owners out there? I'd love to compare notes.

Mike and Sherry
Northern California
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
New to the forum and new to Hyundai. We just bought, yesterday, a 2022 plug-in hybrid. So far we love it. It is predominantly my wife's car, but we bought it to offset my gas guzzling Dodge Ram 1500 and Jeep Wrangler. I think we felt like we had to reduce our carbon footprint some how. Are there any other PHEV owners out there? I'd love to compare notes.

Mike and Sherry
Northern California
View attachment 2349
Morning! I finished my paper work on a 2022 PHEV Luxury yesterday.... very excited. I've driven a 2018 Fusion Energi for the past 3 years so I'me excited to go back to a AWD (as I'm in Canada, used to drive F150's for 15 years) and have some extended range from what the Energi was. Although one hiccup is the dealer received a "Stop Sale" on mine because of a display cluster recall, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick up my new ride. If your daily commute is not too bad you'll love not spending money on gas for your PHEV!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mike & Sherry...
Beuty, how's it ride? I see the writing on the wall but am leery about making the jump. Would you mind sharing a little info such as I see you're in North Cali, there's support there (stations) for fueling support and what is the range? Thanx, hope it's a great car for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Got my PHEV on September 23. Love the car, especially the 31 mile range on EV. Don't like the fact that Hyundai's brochure, blue link, and dealers are all misleading regarding remote start capabilities. You CANNOT control heated and cooled seats with presets in remote start despite the fact that it says you can in Santa Fe brochure. This will most likely lead to a class action suit against Hyundai. Let me know if you'd like to join. Enjoy your new ride!!!

Mike and Sherry
Northern California
View attachment 2349

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Mike and Sherry
Northern California
View attachment 2349
I got my early November. Got almost 5,000 km (3,300 miles) on it so far. I love it. In order to get PHEV I had to get the luxury model which I normally wouldn’t have splurged on but really wanted to get my hands on a plug in while the government incentives were still active. It’s a beautiful vehicle with nice finishes. This trim will certainly hold its value.

I’m up here in Atlantic Canada where it gets lots of snow and very cold temperatures. The AWD is a must and this is one of few on the market right now in AWD. The only issue so far is that I can’t get heat to keep my windshield from fogging up. You need to run the ICE for heat but I can do most of my driving in EV mode. So sometimes I burn gas just so I can see out the windshield. Otherwise it would be mostly EV.

I get great mileage on all the small local commutes. Anything within 50 km (30 miles). I plug in as soon as I get home for any nighttime running around with the gets. I average under 2L/100km (120 mpg) for half of my local EV driving. The other half of my “tank” has been longer highway commutes where I’m mostly in hybrid mode. I’m getting over 1,200 km (750 miles) per tank and its a small 45L (12 gallon) tank. Amazing fuel efficiency if you monitor and control your EV mode driving. When I’m out of battery the car is kind of a pig on gas as it is such a large vehicle. Hybrid should be about 30% less consumption but mileage drops to about 10L/100km (25 mpg) in this mode. It would kill me to have a regular SF with normal fuel consumption < 20 mpg.

I invested in a Level 2 charger. That way it’s worth plugging in after work, during supper and before heading back out for evening activities. I got half of it reimbursed through govt subsidies so worth it for me. Otherwise, it would take overnight (almost 11 hours) to fully recharge with the Level 1 charger you get from Hyundai.

I love the Santa Fe. It’s my first Hyundai. I’ve always driven Subaru’s. I only wish I had a slightly smaller SUV so that I’m hybrid mode is was better on gas consumption. Luckily they make the Tucson which is a little smaller. This was my choice so nothing against the vehicle. However, if you’re not diligent about plugging it in and be aware of fuel consumption, this car is not going to save much fuel or emissions. A 1.6L turbo is not an efficient way to move around such a large vehicle. I have a large family and this is replacing our mini van so it fits our needs.

Another reason this car (or any other PHEV) may not be for you is if you have a heavy foot. To stay in EV mode, you are only accessing the 95 HP motor. If you are heavy off the stop line, swing right out to the passing lane on the highway or like to fly up the hills then you are not going to be in EV mode. It will call on the engine for more HP. It’s still hybrid mode but like I said it’s not very fuel efficient. On that note, I would not recommend the Santa Fe hybrid only vehicle. PHEV or nothing if you care about fuel consumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I am new to the forum too. We bought the Luxury PHEV in late summer. We live in the prairies of Canada where winters are extremely cold. We were loving the vehicle until this month when it began to have serious issues in the cold. Even with the DEFA block heater plugged in overnight it would not run the next day Jan 1 and gave a Hybrid system warning light. Was towed to the dealership and they basically warmed it up, cleared the codes and gave it back to us only to have the same thing happen a few days later. My husband went to leave work after it had been parked outside all day and it gave the same warning light and would not run although the electronics turned on. The vehicle will not go into gear when this happens. So he was stranded and it was towed in again. It has now been at the dealer for over two weeks. They tried one fix related to the oil pressure system but it still has the same errors popping up and won't run when it has been out in the cold. So we are without our new vehicle and waiting for answers. Pretty disappointed that a vehicle sold in Canada is not reliable in our weather so far. Like I said we have loved the vehicle until now. Wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else in colder climates is in a similar spot.

UPDATE: So we got the PHEV back after it had been at the dealership for 4 weeks. They apparently replaced the control module for the oil pressure part they had replaced before. It seemed to run fine for 3 days and then we started it up after a night of -31 celsius (we had the DEFA block heater plugged in all night) and while it initially seemed fine with no indicators, a few seconds later the check engine light came on and stayed on. Drove it to the dealership and there were no service advisors available, and no courtesy cars. So we are now down a vehicle again going into a work week and have no idea what is wrong with it. Getting very frustrated with this vehicle and also disappointed with the service at Winnipeg Hyundai on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, MB.
Will update if we get a resolution to these issues as we still like this vehicle otherwise and hope it works out. For those of you in warmer climates, -30 is a common temperature throughout January and February in the prairies of Canada.

Jacky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike & Sherry...
Beuty, how's it ride? I see the writing on the wall but am leery about making the jump. Would you mind sharing a little info such as I see you're in North Cali, there's support there (stations) for fueling support and what is the range? Thanx, hope it's a great car for you.
We just love it. Extremely comfortable and surprisingly luxurious feel. Good size - spacious but also corners great, like a much smaller vehicle. Filled up about 3 weeks ago, currently at almost 60 mpg which set to calculate from each fill-up. We've done much city driving (mostly EV) and a couple of longer jaunts (combined EV and hybrid). Prior to this last fill-up, we did a 6-hour mostly highway trip to visit our daughter and got 35 mph, which we were quite happy with. It's a great car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just love it. Extremely comfortable and surprisingly luxurious feel. Good size - spacious but also corners great, like a much smaller vehicle. Filled up about 3 weeks ago, currently at almost 60 mpg which set to calculate from each fill-up. We've done much city driving (mostly EV) and a couple of longer jaunts (combined EV and hybrid). Prior to this last fill-up, we did a 6-hour mostly highway trip to visit our daughter and got 35 mph, which we were quite happy with. It's a great car.
Forgot to add, we've had no trouble finding charging stations, although on the long trip we were not wanting to wait for the time it takes to charge the battery so stayed on hybrid. The electric range is pretty close to 30 mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts