Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening we just purchased a 2021 Santa Fe calligraph he trim the finance person is trying to sell me a six years extended warranty for $1500 knowing that this car comes with a five year warranty should I buy the six years extended warranty if I do stick to the five year warranty is that pretty well bumper to bumper except for wear and tear thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
good evening we just purchased a 2021 Santa Fe calligraph he trim the finance person is trying to sell me a six years extended warranty for $1500 knowing that this car comes with a five year warranty should I buy the six years extended warranty if I do stick to the five year warranty is that pretty well bumper to bumper except for wear and tear thank you
Hyundai warranties are different in the USA compared to Canada. For the exact terms of your warranty, check the Hyundai Canada website.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMHO do you feel Hyundai needs backed-up by a dealer? The guy selling the warranties can't he explain in detail to you all and any of your questions? Finally are they selling warranties to make money or because they're worried about the product they're selling? If you answered yes to any then I'd buy it but... offer $1k, be worth that for your peace of mind. You're welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a rip. When i bought mine it was pretty much they weren't getting anything added in at the finance managers office. Pretty sure after I drove off there wasn't any profit to keep the lights on for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMHO do you feel Hyundai needs backed-up by a dealer? The guy selling the warranties can't he explain in detail to you all and any of your questions? Finally are they selling warranties to make money or because they're worried about the product they're selling? If you answered yes to any then I'd buy it but... offer $1k, be worth that for your peace of mind. You're welcome.
When a dealer sells an official Hyundai Extended Warranty, it is just like selling any other Hyundai part or accessory. The dealer is not responsible for the warranty repairs, Hyundai is responsible. Obviously one takes a warranty claim to a dealer, but Hyundai reimburses the dealer for the Extended Warranty claim, just like they do for the original manufacturer's warranty claim.

It gets a little more complicated when a dealer is selling a third party extended warranty, or if the dealer is selling their own extended warranty (where they are on the hook for claims).

In the USA, one can purchase a Hyundai Extended Warranty from any dealer (not just where the car was purchased), and the warranty work can be done at any Hyundai dealer. It also does not have to be purchased at the time the car is purchased.

Whether or not an extended warranty is a reasonable deal, depends on how much one pays for it, as the dealer can charge whatever they can get (just like they do for the cars), regardless of what the dealer cost is for the warranty. Some dealers are willing to sell an extended warranty for a couple hundred dollar profit, and some try and get a couple of thousand dollars profit for selling it.

As I mentioned earlier, Hyundai Canada offers a different manufacturer's warranty than is given in the USA. For example, in the USA there is a 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, in addition to the 5 year / 60,000 mile basic new car warranty. The extended powertrain warranty does not exist in Canada to the best of my knowledge, and exists only in the USA as far as I know.

So determining whether an extended warranty is worth it depends on several factors such as:
  • What is the manufacturer's new car warranty in your country.
  • What are the terms of the Extended Warranty (there are several options available).
  • How long do you expect to keep the car.
  • How much is dealer charging for it (always try and negotiate hard if you are really interested, because their first offer is usually ridiculous).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never buy an extended warranty it is a rip off! Bad experiences in the past, won’t do that again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts