Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cylinder 2.7 engine
97,000 miles

I recently had my check engine light go off with the following warning:

P2187 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 1)Code
P2189 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2) Code

I didn't have any issues while driving, idleing, or starting the vehicle.

A few days later I stopped to refuel and after filling the tank (I didn't try to top it off) the vehicle wouldn't start, it would just stall out. I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep up the RPM's and drop it into drive as if I were driving a manual. Once I got home I turned it off and was able to crank the car back up with no issues. A few days later I went back to a different gas station and refueled to see if I could repeat the problem. Same issues presented itself and after returning to my house I was able to turn it off and crank it back up with no issue.

Initially I was thinking there was an issues with my air intake or the MAF sensor based on my conversation with the guy at the auto parts store. I check for cracks in the vacuum hoses and inspected and cleaned the MAF. I did all this in the time between my two issues at the gas station so I think it's a fuel related issue as opposed to air.

Anyone else have this stalling after refueling problem and know what needs to occur to fix it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Tommy

·
Registered
2 Posts
your canister purge valve has likely failed. just had the same thing happen to me. about 75 bucks at autozone. be sure and find a youtube video to locate the valve. it's behind and under the throttle body intake. good luck. my scanner showed a 0441 code if you want to confirm before you shell out the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your canister purge valve has likely failed. just had the same thing happen to me. about 75 bucks at autozone. be sure and find a youtube video to locate the valve. it's behind and under the throttle body intake. good luck. my scanner showed a 0441 code if you want to confirm before you shell out the money.
Thanks for the reply Songbird. I was able to change out the purge control canister valve this weekend. I went to the gas station and refueled without any issues. The code that came up on my check engine light is differently so I'm not sure if there is another issue with that I need to address. Do you know if the check engine will go off automatically if the issue is resolved? Or should I disconnect the battery to see if the check engine light comes backs on after being manually reset with a battery disconnect?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
if it were me, i'd disconnect the neg terminal five minutes or so, then hook it back up, reset my radio stations and proceed with my life. check for codes the next time the cel comes on. good luck with your santa fe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cylinder 2.7 engine
97,000 miles

I recently had my check engine light go off with the following warning:

P2187 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 1)Code
P2189 System Too Lean at Idle (Bank 2) Code

I didn't have any issues while driving, idleing, or starting the vehicle.

A few days later I stopped to refuel and after filling the tank (I didn't try to top it off) the vehicle wouldn't start, it would just stall out. I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep up the RPM's and drop it into drive as if I were driving a manual. Once I got home I turned it off and was able to crank the car back up with no issues. A few days later I went back to a different gas station and refueled to see if I could repeat the problem. Same issues presented itself and after returning to my house I was able to turn it off and crank it back up with no issue.

Initially I was thinking there was an issues with my air intake or the MAF sensor based on my conversation with the guy at the auto parts store. I check for cracks in the vacuum hoses and inspected and cleaned the MAF. I did all this in the time between my two issues at the gas station so I think it's a fuel related issue as opposed to air.

Anyone else have this stalling after refueling problem and know what needs to occur to fix it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Tommy
I had that problem on earlier car. Found the evap. purge valve would stick open and would flood the car with the air from the fuel tank when you would fill it up. fuel vapors.It could also give you the lean codes. if it's stuck open, it will allow to much air and that it get too lean at idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts