Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of back and forth, Hyundai has offered to cover 80% of the cost of replacing my 2013 Santa Fe 6 cylinder engine due to excessive oil consumption. The dealer just quoted me an "conservative" estimate of $11,000 for a short block and related parts which seems high (my 20% would be as much as $2200). How much should a repair like this cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
After months of back and forth, Hyundai has offered to cover 80% of the cost of replacing my 2013 Santa Fe 6 cylinder engine due to excessive oil consumption. The dealer just quoted me an "conservative" estimate of $11,000 for a short block and related parts which seems high (my 20% would be as much as $2200). How much should a repair like this cost?
I have a 2014 Santa Fe that had the same issue. Had to take it to the dealer three times to show the oil level was going low without a leak anywhere. The dealer then sent the issue to Hyundai headquarters and they replaced my engine for free. Said they had issues with some engines valve ports were not drilled out all the way causing this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Santa Fe that had the same issue. Had to take it to the dealer three times to show the oil level was going low without a leak anywhere. The dealer then sent the issue to Hyundai headquarters and they replaced my engine for free. Said they had issues with some engines valve ports were not drilled out all the way causing this issue. Mine is a 2.0 four cylinder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I followed the same procedure. I go through an average of 3 qts of oil every 1000 miles. I researched the class action law suits about this concern and my year and model are not listed. I am being told that only the 4 cylinder is getting a free engine at this time; however, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 follows. 80% is a decent offer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 and they only said they'd cover 50% after going through that same process. How is that determined? Don't you think it would all or nothing? They obviously have manufacturing defects and should have been recalled long before. I'm very upset with everything I've had to do to get here and still pay a very large sum of money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had the same problem with our 2013 Santa Fe Sport. We contacted one dealer who was going to charge us the full price to put in a new engine, plus a diagnostic fee. After reading the posts in this forum, we contacted another dealer less than 10 mi away who did a free diagnostic and is replacing the engine for free. They said they have a ton of Hyundai's that they'll be putting new engines in. It's a known issue and Hyundai corporate is cooperating. We even got a call from a representative from Hyundai. They offered a rental car for the duration. So my advice is to check around with different dealers until you get a reputable one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much bedbugbeagle, that's really helpful. Anybody know a specific dealership in the TriState area that offered the replacement fully covered? I've called a few but they've been a little evasive about the question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much bedbugbeagle, that's really helpful. Anybody know a specific dealership in the TriState area that offered the replacement fully covered? I've called a few but they've been a little evasive about the question.
Try calling Hyundai customer relations. They were very helpful according to my husband. They gave us the the code we needed to give to our local dealer to get our engine replacement. Plus they offered a rental car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts