Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 that started making a sort of ticking sound while driving on the freeway. I made it to the slow lane and the a loud sound was heard and the car just stopped as I reached the shoulder. We believed that something had hit underneath the car. We found a piece of metal covered in oil with the number 2 on lit. Had the car towed to the dealership where it was purchased. We were told yesterday that the engine was gone and something to do eith the bearings and rod, and the engine had blown. Anyone else have a problem like this?. Very upset that a 5 year old vehicle just out of warranty could sustain this kind of damage! If they don’t take care of this I’ll never buy another Hyundai. Perhaps something did hit underneath?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2016 that started making a sort of ticking sound while driving on the freeway. I made it to the slow lane and the a loud sound was heard and the car just stopped as I reached the shoulder. We believed that something had hit underneath the car. We found a piece of metal covered in oil with the number 2 on lit. Had the car towed to the dealership where it was purchased. We were told yesterday that the engine was gone and something to do eith the bearings and rod, and the engine had blown. Anyone else have a problem like this?. Very upset that a 5 year old vehicle just out of warranty could sustain this kind of damage! If they don’t take care of this I’ll never buy another Hyundai. Perhaps something did hit underneath?
Common problem with the Theta 2 engines in these cars. You should have recived a notification from Hyundai for a software update that would warn you that the engine was about to blow. The check engine light would come on and the car would go into limp mode, preventing a thrown rod as you experienced. if that update is installed, you'll get a new engine installed from Hyundai with a lifetime warranty. Without the update, you'll have a much more difficult time getting a new engine for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Apparently this applied to several of the years, in fact most, however we were informed that the 2016 was not recalled. If you have differing information, please share. We had our car serviced at the dealership and they would notify us of current recalls at the time of service. When we received notifications of recalls we would promptly contact the dealership to have them rectified.no warning light ever appeared.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Common problem with the Theta 2 engines in these cars. You should have recived a notification from Hyundai for a software update that would warn you that the engine was about to blow. The check engine light would come on and the car would go into limp mode, preventing a thrown rod as you experienced. if that update is installed, you'll get a new engine installed from Hyundai with a lifetime warranty. Without the update, you'll have a much more difficult time getting a new engine for free.
Discussion Starter · #3 · a moment ago

Apparently this applied to several of the years, in fact most, however we were informed that the 2016 was not recalled. If you have differing information, please share. We had our car serviced at the dealership and they would notify us of current recalls at the time of service. When we received notifications of recalls we would promptly contact the dealership to have them rectified.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Hyundai corp requested all of our maintenance records. Agreed to “reimburse “ us for rental car. Dealership has had our car for 4 weeks and nothing has been done on it other than to diagnose as blown engine. Initially told us that since it’s 16k out of warranty they would not cover the $18,000 repair! After sending in all documents and further inspection of our car they agreed to pay $13,000 of the $18,000 bill. I believe that they would not pay anything if they did believe that their Theta engine was faulty. How would you proceed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Hyundai corp requested all of our maintenance records. Agreed to “reimburse “ us for rental car. Dealership has had our car for 4 weeks and nothing has been done on it other than to diagnose as blown engine. Initially told us that since it’s 16k out of warranty they would not cover the $18,000 repair! After sending in all documents and further inspection of our car they agreed to pay $13,000 of the $18,000 bill. I believe that they would not pay anything if they did believe that their Theta engine was faulty. How would you proceed?

My 2013 6 cylinder had the same issue at 114,000 miles. They are stonewalling me at every turn. They will NOT work with me at all. I am the 2nd owner. Bought it with 43664. Oil changes every 5000 miles with synthetic oil. I will not buy another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts