Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The 2 most comparable to our SF are the Highlander and PathFinder, which has a 9-sp auto. Didn't you check those? I like the SF better though, at least in Calligraphy trim. So no new transmission? Man, the chances to screw up the calibration of the HPFP are pretty high, and that's why Hyundai was replacing the transmissions. But if they're forced to do something, like apparently they will with the recall, there's no way they'd replace all transmissions, so guess they need to start experimenting changing just the HPFP, and see what happens. Guess yours will be the guinea pig :(. By the way, without a loaner or rental, you qualify to get it lemoned. Did you look into how hard is that in your state? But I'd first ask Hyundai for a buyback, or you'd be forced to look into the lemon law. They should give you more than trade-in value for sure, and probably what you're looking for.

· Registered
19 Posts
I don't need an 8 passenger SUV so the Highlander and PathFinder aren't on my list. So, I am in IL and the lemon law ends after 12 months or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. I just learned about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is a federal lemon law where apparently you have up to 4 years to file? Have to look into that. I tried to get a new Case Manager at Hyundai Consumer Affairs as I sent the buyout info to him over 3 weeks ago and he never sent it to that team. Now all of a sudden a new person I talked to said they don't really offer a buyback this early in the process? Seems like it depends on who you talk to over there. They're not very well trained or responsive, that is for sure. Pump is supposed to be in on Wednesday, we will see.

· Registered
19 Posts
2021 Santa Fe FINAL UPDATE: My Santa Fe is GONE! Hyundai kept pushing back the eta on the backordered transmission high pressure oil pump and I didn't want to deal with it any longer. Hyundai also said it would take another 6 weeks for a buyout quote! Typical ridiculous Hyundai issue. So I found a dealer who would take it in on trade as is, sitting at the dealer. Not my problem anymore. Best of luck to all who are dealing with this issue.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles. But glad the saga is over. May I ask you how much did you get for your SF? And what did you get instead, and how much did you pay vs MSRP?

· Registered
185 Posts
2021 Santa Fe FINAL UPDATE: My Santa Fe is GONE! Hyundai kept pushing back the eta on the backordered transmission high pressure oil pump and I didn't want to deal with it any longer. Hyundai also said it would take another 6 weeks for a buyout quote! Typical ridiculous Hyundai issue. So I found a dealer who would take it in on trade as is, sitting at the dealer. Not my problem anymore. Best of luck to all who are dealing with this issue.
glad to hear this drama is finally over for you now, hopefully you didn't have to take much more from your bank account to get back to "normal." Hyundai used to really step up and take care of issues but seems not so much anymore. My '18 soon is to be traded in on another mnfctr, my '02 will be with me another few thousand though, it's a tank.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yeah, older vehicles are a lot more reliable indeed. And the COVID fiasco made that even worse; QC is crap on all vehicles now, so it's 'pick your poison' now. Ha ha.

· Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. But glad the saga is over. May I ask you how much did you get for your SF? And what did you get instead, and how much did you pay vs MSRP?
Trade in value was 10% below midrange KBB trade in value. I had to work them up a bit, but figuring they were taking an inoperable FWD vehicle with an uncertain repair date, I was OK with it.
I bought a 2023 Volvo CX60 Ultimate for 2.5% less than MSRP. My 3rd Volvo.

Happy Holidays!

· Registered
19 Posts
glad to hear this drama is finally over for you now, hopefully you didn't have to take much more from your bank account to get back to "normal." Hyundai used to really step up and take care of issues but seems not so much anymore. My '18 soon is to be traded in on another mnfctr, my '02 will be with me another few thousand though, it's a tank.
I was happy with the deal, the Volvo dealer was the only dealer who offered to take the Santa Fe in on trade before it was repaired. Hyundai is a mess, will never own another one again. I went to clean out some items in the car and they had easily 50 cars in their "waiting for parts" lot. Now, I better get my expense reimbursement soon!

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Thank you. The Ultimate should feel similar in power to the SF 2.5T, no? It's 6.6 sec to 60 mph (vs 6.0 for the 2.5T SF), so similar enough for me. But curious how it feels to you. What about cabin noise? It must be quieter, right? And cargo space? Seems quite a bit smaller than the SF, but it's only 3" shorter, so who knows. Anyway, I might look into those if I have to bail on the SF. Just can't imagine owning an ugly Outback Touring XT. Ha ha. But need to research Volvo reliability and features compared to the Calligraphy.

· Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I gave up some cargo space but I really never needed it that much.
I haven’t felt much of an acceleration difference. The CX60 does not have a sport mode like the Hyundai so in sport mode I would say the Santa Fe is quicker, but, the Volvo transmission is so much smoother and handling is much tighter. The Volvo comes with 3 power plants, the 247hp I4 turbo mild hybrid B5 where the battery is mainly used to restart the engine and run A/C while stopped at a light, a 295hp I4 turbo with a supercharger mild hybrid B6 which is a tad bit quicker. I didn’t think it was worth the extra $$ though. Didn’t drive the T8 which is a plug in hybrid with like 400hp.
The Volvo is much much quieter than the Santa Fe and the ride is firmer. My Ultimate has 21” wheels so you feel the road a little more which I actually prefer, but it is not harsh and you don’t get that rear wheel “hop” that my Santa Fe would get over bumps.
Fit and finish is superior in the Volvo and even though some complain about the info system I actually like it built into the dash which is a little nicer looking than sitting on top of it. It also has Google assistant so you say Hey Google and can adjust interior temp, seat heaters and steering wheel heater, etc. via voice. Hope that helps.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thank you for that info. I might look into that if I have any issues with my SF. I could give up just a little cargo space, so I'd have to check that first. The CX90 looks way too big, more like the Palisade. If too small, would have to wait for the upcoming CX70, but not sure when it's coming out. And I wouldn't want to buy the first year, especially nowadays. Ha ha. Sounds like the Ultimate is the best value for the CX60 indeed. It just has to have ventilated seats, and decent leather (Napa would be nicer, like the SF). Thanks again for taking the time to help. Quietness is very important to us, so if reliable, looks like my first Volvo might be in my near future. Ha ha. I don't want any more BMWs, Lexus, Acuras, etc.

· Registered
18 Posts
Picture of the actual recall attached below, courtesy of another forum. This was in Canada, but the recall clearly includes the US market, since the SF mentions the US market production date range. I saw it coming, as more and more SFs were having tranny issues. Mine cleared the recall by a hair (04/09/22), so just mildly concerned Hyundai got the dates right. Ha ha. Anyway, no fix yet, but I assume Hyundai will have to replace the pumps now, rather than the transmissions. We'll see. Hope this helps.
View attachment 2524
So today I went to my dealership for a DCT software update on my 2021 Calligraphy.
I was told that they would check transmission for any errant codes. If there were any error codes they would replace my DCT and update software in about 1.5hours. Luckily there were no codes and they updated my software.
I asked what the software update would do.
Dealer stated it would give an earlier warning and allow me to “limp home” rather than die on the side of the road.
As far as dealer is concerned my recall has been completed. Obvious they cannot guarantee transmission won’t go south in the future but if it does it’s still under the 236 recall.

· Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for that info. I might look into that if I have any issues with my SF. I could give up just a little cargo space, so I'd have to check that first. The CX90 looks way too big, more like the Palisade. If too small, would have to wait for the upcoming CX70, but not sure when it's coming out. And I wouldn't want to buy the first year, especially nowadays. Ha ha. Sounds like the Ultimate is the best value for the CX60 indeed. It just has to have ventilated seats, and decent leather (Napa would be nicer, like the SF). Thanks again for taking the time to help. Quietness is very important to us, so if reliable, looks like my first Volvo might be in my near future. Ha ha. I don't want any more BMWs, Lexus, Acuras, etc.
The seats are ventilated and are the most comfortable seat of any car I’ve had since my last Volvos in the late 80’s early 90’s.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts