Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
2021 Santa Fe UPDATE 2: So, after nearly 3 weeks the Wisconsin Dealer admitted they could not look at it until 2-3 more weeks!! What? I called my local dealer who said have it brought down to them and they will look at it right away. I got Hyundai to agree to pay for transport 239 miles to my dealer. Car is to be picked up today and delivered no later than Saturday. Fingers crossed. Found Hyundai Consumer Affairs is pretty much useless other than willing to reimburse certain items. They arranged nothing and I had to get a transport company and of course pay for it up front. I sent all expenses to them and they agreed to pay $1400 of the $1800 I have in this so far. I will call them back and have a discussion.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What a nightmare. Really sorry to hear (or read). And $400 is still a lot of money to pay out of pocket, but at least Hyundai accepted to pay the majority of that expense. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, and please keep us posted.

Registered
2021 Santa Fe UPDATE 3: My Santa Fe arrived at the dealer yesterday and they called to tell me it will be looked at on Monday. Nice to be back with my home dealer. But, shame on the WI dealer for not even looking at it in 3 weeks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Glad to hear that. Now your new problem is how long it's going to take to get a new tranny, since that's most likely what Hyundai will do. But please continue to keep us updated. And yes, now is a bad time to need service of any kind; most dealers are backed up for weeks, and don't think it's going to change anytime soon. And unfortunately, same thing with parts availability, especially with something that Hyundai prefers to install on a new vehicle, rather than a repair. So keep pushing :). Best of luck.

Registered
2021 Santa Fe Update 4: My dealer called yesterday about 2:30 and said my Santa Fe was done! Wait, what? They said it showed no codes! Huh? I have the code DTC P1C2D03 on My Hyundai App on both 10/8 and 10/9 which are the dates it broke down. They said the codes don't remain in the car. Is that true? I thought codes stay until they are cleared? Anyway, they performed the TCU software update and said it drove fine in a test drive, which was about 5 miles. No charge of course and now hoping Hyundai will honor their payment agreement. I drove it home, also about 5 miles and the car ran better. It used to lurch a little stopping at a stoplight before the engine cutoff, and it would often have a delay to restart when I would remove my foot from the brake. I always thought that was just normal, but that is now gone. I'm hesitant to take it on any lengthy trip and especially to an area that is far from my dealer. The service I received from a remote dealer was horrific. I have to commend my dealer for A. Blocking out a time slot for me to look at it and take action on fixing it, and B. in the midst of a complete remodel which has their service bays cut down to 4. I have come to expect that level of service from them. I now have to make the decision do I keep it and worry, or, trade it in on another Hyundai, or another brand. Have some decisions to make.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The codes don't disappear, even soft ones. They must have deleted them on purpose (by Hyundai directions), or inadvertently. Even the lowest priority soft codes (that don't illuminate a CEL) stay saved for dozens of ignition cycles. Any hard code, like the ones you got, stay in memory until cleared. So that's BS to me. At any rate, my guess is the TCU update erased them. Finally, all the TCU update does is to avoid the transmission shutting down completely, in favor of a 'limp mode'. But it does NOT fix the actual problem with the oil pump. I'm really surprised they didn't replace your transmission after having the codes; that's the first time I hear of that. Highly disappointed. At any rate, before deciding to sell it, which is probably what I'd do, even with a $10K loss (including taxes and accessories), is call Hyundai and ask them exactly what the darn limp mode is. I'd like to know maximum speed allowed (anything less than 60 on interstates would be dangerous), and for how long. If less than 60, I'd sell it, since it'd still leave you stranded, although not in the middle of nowhere. I also use the SF for long trips, but with a failure like yours and no new tranny, I'd probably demand a new tranny out of principle, and see what happens, especially if your code was included in the list on the recall. Then decide if you still want to sell it. But I wouldn't trust it either with the same tranny. Plus I'd feel bad dumping a ticking bomb on an unsuspecting buyer. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
It doesn't matter if it's FWD or AWD, but it has to have the 2.5T engine, since it's the only engine with the DCT-8 on a SF, and only comes in Limited and Calligraphy trims. Having said that, it's actually a really good question, since AWDs could be different, and require a higher-volume pump, for instance. We need to check the reported failures, and ask the owners if their SFs were FWD or AWD, and see if there's a trend there. If they were only AWDs, it'd be music to my ears :).

Registered
2021 Santa Fe UPDATE 5: So...I drove the car Tuesday and Wednesday all was good. I drove it Thursday and all of a sudden it started shifting rough. When I accelerated at a stop sign or light, it wouldn't shift till 3500 RPM and was sluggish. I turned it off and on several times and continued driving and no change. Then, the engine light came on. I was turning 2200 RPM at 50mph which isn't right! So back to the dealer. They called Friday afternoon and said it was repaired and they performed another NEW update. I went to the dealer late yesterday evening to pick it up, got in, started it and the ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON! It would not turn off, so I shut the car down went back to the service desk and told them and said I think it's time for a new transmission!! Waiting to hear something today, but not holding my breath. Then Hyundai Consumer Affairs says I now have to submit my $1800 in expenses to the Recall Campaign department for review. So I guess the $1400 offer is not good anymore? I am about done, after 6 Hyundais, 3 Santa Fe, 2 Elantra and a Kona I am looking at Honda and Toyota. Whenever this gets fixed I'm trading it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Damn; that's unfortunate. But I saw it coming. Hyundai should have done something more than software updates after getting into limp mode. Once it gets into limp mode, they were supposed to fix it, or replace it. Glad that at least you weren't in a trip, causing even more grief and related expenses. I don't blame you for bailing on it, but it'll probably cost you a pretty penny. I've been there many times, and I'm tired of that (and my wallet is too. Ha ha), so hope to dodge the bullet with my current 2 Hyundai/Genesis vehicles. Good luck, and let us know how this ends up.

Registered
2021 Santa Fe UPDATE 6: Sorry for the delay in update, I was out of town and had work stuff going on. Here is the latest. The dealer told me the car is non-drivable and they had to order a transmission oil pump which of course is backordered. I have asked for the trans to be replaced but that has gone on deaf ears. As of yesterday there is no ETA on the part but they promised to call me today with an update.

Hyundai consumer affairs agreed to $1400 in reimbursement after declining my counteroffer. I have 60 days to accept the offer in which I agree the repairs were completed and then basically give away all my rights to pursue Hyundai for this issue. I asked them to extend the drop dead date until after it was repaired to my satisfaction. In an email response today they stated the Santa Fe may be eligible for a buyback option where Hyundai buys the vehicle back from me. I can't reach my Case Manager to get some more information on that, but its an option, if it is at full trade in value or above and I still get my $1400, as I have equity in the car.

I don't blame my dealer they are doing everything they can, but it seems like Hyundai's strategy is to try A, if that doesn't work, try B, then C, etc. vs. just replacing the transmission.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
In the US, that means Limited and Calligraphy Santa Fe models, with both FWD and RWD... although it's not clear which drivetrain is more affected by the 'failures' (FWD or AWD), since the transaxle is different, I'd guess (unless there's a separate transfer case, which I doubt). I'd like to know that, but I suspect the more popular AWDs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The dealer told me the car is non-drivable and they had to order a transmission oil pump which of course is backordered.
And which pump is that? If it's the HP one, Hyundai is replacing the transmission. If the HF one, then the pump. Curious which one. Ask dealer for the code(s), or just look them up on your MyHyundai site, so you can share with us, and find out exactly what it is. If it's the HP pump, demand a new tranny. And of course I wouldn't accept any settlement until the car is fixed, which means driving it a few hundred miles after the repair is done. And also get in writing that if it happens again, you'd get a new transmission. Good luck.

Registered
It's the High Pressure Electric Oil Pump/Pump ASSY, Electric Oil. Have requested a new tranny, this is where we are at.

Here are the codes:

P1C2D03
POWERTRAIN
TCU
11/03/2022
11/03/2022

P1C2D03
POWERTRAIN
TCU
10/31/2022
10/31/2022

P1C2D03
POWERTRAIN
TCU
10/11/2022
10/09/2022

P1C2D03
POWERTRAIN
TCU
10/08/2022
10/08/2022

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thank you. It's the same code 4 times, at different dates and mileage as stated. And yes, that code is listed on the TSB (but not the recall) I'm attaching below, which is: P1C2D03 HP EOP motor position sensor. You should absolutely get a new tranny with that code. Please keep us updated, and thank you for posting that. Good luck.

Attachments

Registered
2021 Santa Fe UPDATE #7: Latest update, no part, no repair, was told it would ship 12/1 no ETA available. Still no response from Hyundai if they will extend my reimbursement and as far as a buyout, they've had my information for 2 weeks and I've heard nothing. To add insult to injury my wife wanted to drive a Santa Fe Hybrid and she loved the way it drove. Ugghhh, so I sat down with the sales person and they were $3k off on the trade and added a $2000 market adjustment above MSRP. I tried to convince them since this was my 7th Hyundai they could waive that adjustment. They took $500 off MSRP and added $500 to the trade in. After they told me this is a highly desired vehicle and it won't stay on the lot. It's still there 3 weeks later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh man. But at least you still got a loaner or rental, right? So are you getting a new transmission, or what exactly shipped today (12/1)? And from where? Hopefully Alabama, and not Korea. If you get a buyback, Hyundai should pay you what you have on the SUV, minus a mileage adjustment that shouldn't be that much. So how does the hybrid feel power-wise compared to our 2.5T? It has the 1.6T, right?

Registered
Oh man. But at least you still got a loaner or rental, right? So are you getting a new transmission, or what exactly shipped today (12/1)? And from where? Hopefully Alabama, and not Korea. If you get a buyback, Hyundai should pay you what you have on the SUV, minus a mileage adjustment that shouldn't be that much. So how does the hybrid feel power-wise compared to our 2.5T? It has the 1.6T, right?
NO LOANER! Dealer is out of them, but, I am on the list! HA! I decided against a rental because $40 a day doesn't cover the full rental and I don't want to incur any more costs. My 2011 Santa Fe is doing the job for now.

No transmission replacement, what supposedly shipped yesterday is the high pressure oil pump, no clue where that is coming from. Hopefully, not Fischer Price or Little Tikes! At least I still have a sense of humor about this.

The dealer offered $30k trade for my Santa Fe. Kelly Blue Book trade in value range is $32 -$35 and the dealer wouldn't come up at all. Honda, Mazda, Nissan dealers wouldn't give me a quote until they saw the car which of course they can't, yet.

The Santa Fe Hybrid drives very nicely with a smoother ride and a tad bit quieter. It does have the 1.6T with a 6 speed trans and HTRAC. It is not as quick as the 2.5T and the trans seems to stay at higher RPM's if that makes sense.

Top replacements options are Mazda CX-50 and CX-5, both very nice but the standard power option is weak, so you need to upgrade to the turbo, to get them with my Limited options are quite pricey. Plus there are not many in dealer stock, if at all. So it's a $500 deposit and order and wait time.

Also drove the new Honda CRX and Passport. CRX is meh, very utilitarian with lots of plastic in the interior and would need the Hybrid to get any power. No one has them in stock near me and the wait is 6-12 weeks and a $1000 deposit. Passport sticker was close to $50k. Nissan Rogue is loaded and drives nice but Nissan had massive CVT issues and the engine is a 3 cylinder variable compression Turbo which screams stay away! That and the dealer near me had 40 Rogues in stock, yes that's right, 40 in stock! Why is that??? My brain thinks no one wants them.

Can't find a Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid or a Venza near me to test drive. and they have the same wait time and deposit. So, we are waiting for this nightmare to be over and then will make a move.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts