Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Santa Fe Hybrid: I was turning on to a highway from a standing start on a fairly steep incline. When an opening occurred in traffic I started to pull out and noticed total lack of acceleration as I pushed the accelerator. Now cars from traffic starting to get closer even though accelerator pedal nearly to the floor. I really thought I was going to get sideswiped when the car suddenly lurched forward nearly causing me to run off the road on the other side. The auto hold feature was NOT on but it seemed like some sort of feature that might prevent the car from moving backwards while moving foot from brake to accelerator had been activated (is there such a feature?). My wife (who drives the car 90% of the time) had noticed a “revving noise” and a delay when driving up our relatively steep driveway if she needed to slow excessively or even stop on ascent and then resuming. Just had it in for 1 year check up 2 weeks ago. Called the dealership who said “never heard of such a thing” and suggested diagnostics which we plan to do. I post this to others to see if there might be a feature or setting and also a warning that at least someone is having a problem with this. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most modern cars have that 'feature' that prevent vehicle from going backwards, to avoid transmission issues. And no, it has nothing to do with 'auto hold', which is basically the same thing, BUT you can have your foot off the brake. The other feature is there all the time. You can try it on steeper hills, and you'd notice the vehicle never goes backwards. As for your other 'problem', I've noticed that on my last 3 Hyundai vehicles, but it's momentary. And yes, the accompanying lurch doesn't feel very refined. Ha ha. It happens when I approach my garage at minimal speed, and feels like the tranny is still in 2nd gear, but when I apply a hair more throttle to jump the little 'step', it momentarily feels like there's no power, then you get the lurch, and power again. What I did with the 2021 Palisade, and do with the 2022 Santa Fe and 2023 G70, is get the tranny in 1st with the paddle, and problem solved. By the way, I have to do the same thing if I need power suddenly, like when I get to the subdivision entrance, and I can make it, I get on the throttle before stopping. The trannies get confused there too, and the lurch on the SF DCT is horrible, but it does downshift. The regular tranny does NOT downshift if not super slow, and acceleration is super sluggish, so it's better to downshift to 1st manually in those cases.

Finally, you said you were stopped, so not exactly what I stated above, but my guess is since you were turning right, it takes very little throttle to spin the tires, and T/C is very intrusive on these vehicles, so your traction control probably took over, feeling that (endless) pause. In those cases, I never try to get a jump on fast traffic, since it's dangerous. I leave enough space to turn sedately, then get on the throttle once front wheels are straight. Otherwise, you'd have that intervention more times than not. You could turn T/C off, but you'd just spin instead, so not good either. My suggestion before even wasting your time with a dealer is try to duplicate the issue again with the information provided above, and you'll be able to check if it's a problem, or you just need to change your method of launching :). Hope it's the latter. Ha ha. Oh, and you could check for the T/C symbol flashing on your dash, if that's what it is. But with your regular transmission, I really doubt it's anything wrong with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was turning left across incoming traffic and should have had plenty of time to turn. I am used to the hill hold feature on my Honda Ridgeline and this was very much different and I had never experienced it with the Santa Fe. There was enough delay that I was asking my wife (who mostly drives it) “what is going on?” When it suddenly lurched forward nearly propelling me off the other side of the road. It appears unpredictable other than starting in an uphill position. I really liked this vehicle before experiencing this event but now I think it’s dangerous. You need to be able to trust the response to pressing the accelerator (my master of the obvious statement of the day). I’m pretty much obligated to have Hyundai check it out but resigned they will blow it off if there’s no one else reporting this to be a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I failed to specifically mention my concerns about this being a hybrid vehicle. I’m just thinking this might be a software glitch that delayed sending power to the wheels. I doubt that would be picked up during diagnostics especially if it is inherent to the programming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh, it's a hybrid? Different animal, but probably similar issue: 'confusion'. Did you have it in hybrid mode? If yes, that'd explain it. System was expecting to use electric power only, but a deep throttle application summons the engine, hence the delay, and sudden power surge after firing up. At this point, the system should be A LOT more sophisticated than that, but sadly, it's not. And same thing with the DCT-8 on my SF. At any rate, try finding a specific hybrid forum for better luck, but in the mean time, I'd try just engine power (hybrid mode off) when you can anticipate that particular intersection. Oh, and that stupid ISG off as well (if applicable), so your engine is running. Hopefully Hyundai has a fix for that, but I've always read weird reactions from hybrid vehicles to that kind of situation. It's similar to the DCT behavior on my SF 2.5T, when you're going very slow, where tranny is still in 2nd, and suddenly get on the throttle, where the TCM was anticipating a 2-3 gear change, and then a 2-1 is needed. Seems like it takes forever to happen, and same lurch when power is finally available. That's when I use the paddles to avoid that. The sad thing is a more aggressive 2-1 downshift would eliminate that completely (like my ex-Porsche did), and that already happens on all other downshifts (at 2K rpm) in sport mode (which I always use)... except 2-1. So I just do it manually. So far, no other tranny issues to report.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, it's a hybrid? Different animal, but probably similar issue: 'confusion'. Did you have it in hybrid mode? If yes, that'd explain it. System was expecting to use electric power only, but a deep throttle application summons the engine, hence the delay, and sudden power surge after firing up. At this point, the system should be A LOT more sophisticated than that, but sadly, it's not. And same thing with the DCT-8 on my SF. At any rate, try finding a specific hybrid forum for better luck, but in the mean time, I'd try just engine power (hybrid mode off) when you can anticipate that particular intersection. Oh, and that stupid ISG off as well (if applicable), so your engine is running. Hopefully Hyundai has a fix for that, but I've always read weird reactions from hybrid vehicles to that kind of situation. It's similar to the DCT behavior on my SF 2.5T, when you're going very slow, where tranny is still in 2nd, and suddenly get on the throttle, where the TCM was anticipating a 2-3 gear change, and then a 2-1 is needed. Seems like it takes forever to happen, and same lurch when power is finally available. That's when I use the paddles to avoid that. The sad thing is a more aggressive 2-1 downshift would eliminate that completely (like my ex-Porsche did), and that already happens on all other downshifts (at 2K rpm) in sport mode (which I always use)... except 2-1. So I just do it manually. So far, no other tranny issues to report.
Thanks. From what I see it might require adding a memory module to disable ISG permanently or else the need to sort through settings each time you start up. I don’t think there’s a disable button that allows you to do this as on earlier models.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hybrid has a 1.6L turbo 4 with a 6 speed transmission in 2021. Could be an electric to gas to gas with turbo issue. Definitely bring up with tech support ASAP. As an aside, I have the 2.5 Caligraphy with DCT and like it. On rare , but specific occasions I know it is a DCT, usually while creeping start/stop into my garage for the yellow proximity alarm to light so I know i'm far enough in to be able to open the rear with the garage door closed. Traded 8sp Hyundai Genesis for the SF and find ride and fuel economy to be about the same, driver aids work far better than the 2015 Genny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it to Hyundai this afternoon and as expected nothing found on interrogation of the system nor on test drive situation (starting on an incline). I’m not all that surprised since this has only happened to me once in 8 months. Since another post suggested using the paddle shifter to select 1st gear I have played around with this and found that the transmission stays in manual mode for 4 1/2 seconds after your last paddle shift so I asked the dealer if it’s OK to hit the “D” button to select normal automatic shifting once you’re sure the vehicle is responding as expected and the answer is ‘yes’ (will shift to that mode without causing damage.
Since I didn’t know this was a dual shift transmission (DST). I reviewed this YouTube video on the subject. I now agree with your assessment on the probability this might be the problem. I’m glad to know the difference between DST and standard automatic transmissions and think dealers might want to forewarn buyers of the differences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
An alternative method to put tranny back in D is to hold the '+' paddle for a second or so. My SF beeps when doing that, which is kind of annoying, but not a big deal. Since I also use sport mode all the time, mine doesn't revert back to D unless I stop (where car beeps again), or I change back to D with the paddle or D button. Glad you saw that video to understand how DCTs work :). Oh, and if you don't want to have the foot on the brake pedal, just click on 'auto hold', and the car would hold the brakes for you (and light up the brake lights as well). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for tip on using ‘+’ paddle to get back in drive mode. I often use auto hold but not that particular day. As I understand it you need to select Sport mode each time you start the vehicle. My dealer insists there’s no approved memory module that would keep the sport mode setting and strongly advised against anything aftermarket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, I have to hit both sport mode (one turn to the right on the knob) and ISG-off button every time I start the SUV. I got used to that already, so not a big deal. Not worth messing with the wiring to install anything aftermarket indeed. And if you need to take off quickly, give the SUV time to engage the clutch first (for a fraction of a second), then get harder on the throttle. And like the video showed, avoid 'crawling' as much as you can. You want the clutch slipping the least amount possible not only to minimize wear, but to minimize HEAT, especially in hot climates, like mine (TX). Learn to 'feel' the transmission, and try to help it where it needs help. That keeps you focused on your driving too :). Treat it like a manual without a clutch pedal. It's quirky, but really like it; hope mine was built right, and doesn't give me any trouble. We'll see.

The auto-hold is really nice on the SF and G70; I can take off super smoothly, without feeling anything. It requires good throttle control, but again, it keeps you focused on your driving :). The brakes on the G70 are really weird, since they intervene even when braking mildly, so you have to anticipate that for smoothness, but I already found how. The SF is really nice by comparison, but they still require finesse to be super smooth, which is the way I like to drive. Ha ha. But it has to be deactivated before parking, or the EPB will engage automatically after selecting P, which I don't like (unnecessary wear and tear on flat roads).

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid Limited
6 Posts
Good conversation...

We also have a hybrid (2022), and much of what you describe around the delay, or lurch, when starting from a stopped position matches our experience. Yes, I do believe it is behaving as designed, especially if you have the drive mode in the (default) ECO position. The delay I experience is when the vehicle switches from pure electric motor to gas, and I can basically predict when it will occur depending upon how much "gas" I'm giving the throttle. If this is overly bothersome, I will switch to Sport mode which results in almost instantaneous engagement with the gas motor.

As noted, with the hybrid there is no way to prevent the gas engine from shutting down when the vehicle is stopped, hence no ISG button. Also, just a note, the hybrid does not have a DCT like on the 2.5T models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, just a note, the hybrid does not have a DCT like on the 2.5T models.
That must be a relief to you guys. I really like how mine drives with the DCT, but wish it was a more reliable/robust regular TC unit. No family SUV should have a freaking DCT, and even less when Hyundai has been having tons of issues with the ones on 1.6T engines. Just today, my late 2022 stutter badly (like if the clutch was warped on a manual car) when starting with a light throttle on a flat road. It never did that until now, with about 3,500 miles on the clock. Hope that's not the beginning of the end of the freaking tranny, now that I'm almost 2K miles away from home. It'd be an absoute disaster if something was to happen to it this far away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts