Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

Conflicting Oil Recommendation

395 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Glades Cat
For the 2.5 GDI engines, the manufacturer recommends Synthetic 0w-20 oil, as does the Motul site. This other site recommends 5w-30 and describes some of the pros and cons of this engine. Piston/cylinder wall scuffing and oil consumption are a couple of the problems listed. Here is the reference. 2.5 GDi SmartStream G4KN Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability
What do y’all think?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I only use 0-30 mobil1
Glad that we have 10 years 100K warranty on this engine
I have owned 10 Hyundai cars since 2004 and never had an engine or transmission problem.
Reactions: 1
I would use the 30wt.
Reactions: 1
I would stick with what Hyundai recommends. They warranty the vehicle and should any issues arise down the road, using an oil they didn’t recommend make come back to haunt you.
My 2.5T calls for 0/30, and that's what I use. But if I had bought the 2.5 non-turbo model, I'd still use 0/30 since I live in the hot desert. Unfortunately, the reason to call for 0/20 is to save a fraction of a % on EPA fuel economy ratings, rather than being the best oil for the engine. Besides, at the end of the OCI, the 0/30 would be 20 by then, so it's not like the engine is going to grenade or anything like that. Both viscosities would be fine, but those who want the best for their engine, would probably opt for 0/30, which has the same viscosity at start-up (0), but slightly higher at operating temperature. If I lived in a mild climate year round, I might use 0/20, but not in the desert. In the recent past, owner's manuals suggested 2 viscosities for exactly that reason, as well as 2 tire pressures, depending on load conditions. Now, just one, because owners are deem too stupid to be able to handle that, I guess.
Reactions: 2
Ok. I bought 3 5qt jugs of Penzoil Platinum full synthetic 0w-20 oil. It should cover the first two oil changes and break-in tight clearances. It still boggles my mind of using such a low viscosity oil in the hot S Florida climate in these high running temp aluminum engines.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts