Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
141 - 160 of 181 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
I just noticed the 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV as sold out on the Hyundai Canada website.

edit: wait…what.. how can Hyundai Canada be “sold out” for 2023 Santa Fe PHEV when they haven’t even opened the order portal?

· Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed the 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV as sold out on the Hyundai Canada website.

edit: wait…what.. how can Hyundai Canada be “sold out” for 2023 Santa Fe PHEV when they haven’t even opened the order portal?
Here’s what I have. I placed my $500 on Jan 20th of this year … and have been patiently waiting. It’s for a Santa Fe Luxury PHEV. My sales guy has not been getting regular updates from Hyundai, in my opinion. In late November I phoned one of the other dealers in Hamilton ON and was told that the 2023 PHEV production is sold out and to expect 18-24 months for an order placed at that time. So I had a discussion with my sales guy in early December and he again confirmed to me that I’m 1st on their list for this PHEV. Also said they are on allocations as are all other dealerships. I asked about the numerous reasons I’ve read on various media (including this forum) about the severe delays to Ontario customers. I was given the reply that it is still about parts shortages and the high level of world demand for their EV’s, PHEV’s and Hybrids. I’m pretty sure we could discuss these points and many other reasons until we’re blue in the face! Now I was told to expect my delivery late 1st quarter into the 2nd quarter of 2023. I did ask about my vehicle being moved into the 2024 production model but was told my order from January does fall into the 2023 production. So only time will tell. I have checked out other offerings from Toyota etc and they are also having really long lead times. Tesla appears to be in the 4 month area but, as you know they’re all electric and muchos $$. The Toronto Star had a good article on this subject at the end of October and Hyundai had the longest EV/PHEV/HEV lead times (18-24mos) and Toyota not far behind. So if you do want to go elsewhere and go for an electric option you’re just going to the end of another long line up! I’ve just read over the last week or so that the Santa Fe PHEV received a very favourable Consumer Reports review for the 2023 model. So ... I wait patiently.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Now I was told to expect my delivery late 1st quarter into the 2nd quarter of 2023.
That is the first piece of positive news I have heard in a while. My preorder was January 17th so it will be interesting to hear what the dealership tells me when I phone them in a couple of weeks.

But here is my question. If your source said, back in November, that the Santa Fe PHEV was sold out then that leads me to believe the allocation only rumours are true. The portal isn’t open for HEV/PHEV orders so there is no way to know how many actual orders there are. Hyundai probably came to the conclusion of sold out by dealership allocation numbers instead. That means dealerships know for sure how many they are getting but don’t want to say because it could slow down sales because people will look elsewhere.

· Registered
14 Posts
That is the first piece of positive news I have heard in a while. My preorder was January 17th so it will be interesting to hear what the dealership tells me when I phone them in a couple of weeks.

But here is my question. If your source said, back in November, that the Santa Fe PHEV was sold out then that leads me to believe the allocation only rumours are true. The portal isn’t open for HEV/PHEV orders so there is no way to know how many actual orders there are. Hyundai probably came to the conclusion of sold out by dealership allocation numbers instead. That means dealerships know for sure how many they are getting but don’t want to say because it could slow down sales because people will look elsewhere.
i wonder what hope i even have since we put our deposit down in July 2022 for a 2023 Luxury PHEV…shortly after our sales guy sent us the sales training info….

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
i wonder what hope i even have since we put our deposit down in July 2022 for a 2023 Luxury PHEV…shortly after our sales guy sent us the sales training info….
you ask what your queue number is at the dealership and what their allocation is and there is your answer. I doubt they will be quick to tell you. Remember there is a huge queue in every other brand for HEV or phev so don’t be quick to pull your deposit.

and be prepared that they will deny knowing their allocation. Speak to the sales manager.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Also said they are on allocations as are all other dealerships. I asked about the numerous reasons I’ve read on various media (including this forum) about the severe delays to Ontario customers. I was given the reply that it is still about parts shortages and the high level of world demand for their EV’s, PHEV’s and Hybrids. I’m pretty sure we could discuss these points and many other reasons until we’re blue in the face! Now I was told to expect my delivery late 1st quarter into the 2nd quarter of 2023.
Thanks for the info. Severe delays apply to ALL of Canada. All Canadians are at the back of the line for any vehicle compared to USA , UK and EU.

I dropped in on my dealership today and spoke with the sales manager. When I said that I had heard some Ontario dealerships had allocation numbers already for 2023 I got a "well that's a new one" look in return. Then I managed to coax out of the sales manger that Hyundai is indeed allocation only for 2023 and "perhaps" the explanation is that Ontario is getting some allocation first because they are the bigger market.

That's the most believable explanation.

Now why isn't BC or Quebec getting allocation first because they have better EV credit incentives and provincial mandates vs Ontario? That is the conspiracy rabbit hole - fun to invent reasons however none of which will be true.

The sales manager also said that allocation will go by province then by dealership. So that leads me to believe that Ontario will have the largest allocation due to population level. Then followed by BC and Quebec and I don't know who is first there.

Then provincial allocation will be divided up by individual dealership numbers.

When will this happen? I dunno. I just check in every 2 months and every 2 months I still don't have a vehicle.

· Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info. Severe delays apply to ALL of Canada. All Canadians are at the back of the line for any vehicle compared to USA , UK and EU.

I dropped in on my dealership today and spoke with the sales manager. When I said that I had heard some Ontario dealerships had allocation numbers already for 2023 I got a "well that's a new one" look in return. Then I managed to coax out of the sales manger that Hyundai is indeed allocation only for 2023 and "perhaps" the explanation is that Ontario is getting some allocation first because they are the bigger market.

That's the most believable explanation.

Now why isn't BC or Quebec getting allocation first because they have better EV credit incentives and provincial mandates vs Ontario? That is the conspiracy rabbit hole - fun to invent reasons however none of which will be true.

The sales manager also said that allocation will go by province then by dealership. So that leads me to believe that Ontario will have the largest allocation due to population level. Then followed by BC and Quebec and I don't know who is first there.

Then provincial allocation will be divided up by individual dealership numbers.

When will this happen? I dunno. I just check in every 2 months and every 2 months I still don't have a vehicle.
Thanks for the update on this. I do check in with my sales guy every month or so, but have never reached out to the sales manager.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Thanks for the update on this. I do check in with my sales guy every month or so, but have never reached out to the sales manager.
I don't want to make you into a "let me speak to the manager" person but, in this case, I recommend an in person visit and tell them what you know. This way you can gauge responses of what they tell you...or don't tell you. My salesperson always sent me to the sales manager as even he was wrong about how allocation works. In person is better because salespeople NEVER like to put anything into writing unless it's the invoice.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
I wonder if THIS is suspicious. (Sarcasm) Hyundai Canada has the 2023 model listed at $47,698 (MSRP + Delivery & Destination Fees + Other Fees and Levies included) but not including tax.

This auto dealer has a brand new Santa Fe Luxury Hybrid listed at $46,674 (plus doc fee and a $995 protection package) and then tax on top of that. Meanwhile other listings for 2021 and 2022 models are listed at $55,000 to $59,000. I think this is someone's order that may have just rolled in and the salesperson is out phishing. It makes me want to contact the dealership here in Vancouver and ask "So why have you listed a brand new vehicle instead of offering it to the people in your queue? Oh...you mean you are getting allocation and deciding not to give a vehicle to any waiting customers with preorders??"

The only good thing about it is that it is a 2023 Santa Fe HEV and I didn't think I'd see one this soon.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light

· Registered
4 Posts
I was just contacted by the dealer they state that there will be no 2023 plugins will be delivered they are focusing on electric and hybrid instead. I have had my order in since august. I don’t know if I want to push my order to a 2024 model.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Seaway Hyundai in Cornwall Ontario. Supposedly they are the largest volumes import store for 12 years.
there is a bit of a conflict of information because of the post made by Rickety a few posts back. Do you think your dealership meant that there will be no 2023 PHEV deliveries for new preorders and any existing preorders after their allocation runs out?

· Registered
4 Posts
I was just told that my order would not be filled. My order was put in before the porthole was open. I called today as I was asking what my allocation number was to how many they would be getting and I was told no orders would be filled I hope that is not true for other provinces

· Registered
14 Posts
I was just told that my order would not be filled. My order was put in before the porthole was open. I called today as I was asking what my allocation number was to how many they would be getting and I was told no orders would be filled I hope that is not true for other provinces
I reached out to my dealer in Ottawa with this information and they told me the following:

' I can see how this can be concerning. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny this information as we have not been informed of this by Hyundai directly. I can confirm that we have not yet seen any 2023 Santa Fe PHEV models coming in at this point. I have checked our transit inventory and still do not see PHEV models coming in for the Santa Fe. we do have some Santa Fe HEV coming in March but not PHEV. '

this is very disconcerting. I’ve had my reservation in place since July. I am starting to wonder now if I should be looking at other models outside Hyundai (not keen on the Tucson and i missed the order window) possibly gas models at this point. I do not need to replace my car right away however, I’ve been wanting to replace it with something with all wheel drive. My current vehicle has front wheel drive and has not been overly confident inspiring in the winter…even with winter boots on.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I reached out to my dealer in Ottawa with this information and they told me the following:

' I can see how this can be concerning. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm or deny this information as we have not been informed of this by Hyundai directly. I can confirm that we have not yet seen any 2023 Santa Fe PHEV models coming in at this point. I have checked our transit inventory and still do not see PHEV models coming in for the Santa Fe. we do have some Santa Fe HEV coming in March but not PHEV. '

this is very disconcerting. I’ve had my reservation in place since July. I am starting to wonder now if I should be looking at other models outside Hyundai (not keen on the Tucson and i missed the order window) possibly gas models at this point. I do not need to replace my car right away however, I’ve been wanting to replace it with something with all wheel drive. My current vehicle has front wheel drive and has not been overly confident inspiring in the winter…even with winter boots on.
How about the Mitsubishi outlander ICE version. Should be around 54k all in for the SEL and 58k for the GT. Allegedly there are a few around Vancouver but I haven’t gone out to see one in the flesh to do a walk around and test drive.

· Registered
14 Posts
How about the Mitsubishi outlander ICE version. Should be around 54k all in for the SEL and 58k for the GT. Allegedly there are a few around Vancouver but I haven’t gone out to see one in the flesh to do a walk around and test drive.
I was actually considering the Nissan Rogue with the 3 cyl turbo….it is the sister car to the Outlander. I drove both and felt the outlander drove like a much bigger car than it was. I also have no interest in three rows and rather have underfloor storage.

Honestly i would be quite disappointed in the Hyundai brand if they pull a stunt like cancel the PHEV at this point. At first i was disappointed that they dropped the Preferred PHEV, but put that aside and focused on the Luxury…. But with a backlog of reservations and a decent amount of interest in the car, why wouldnt they push it out?

· Registered
14 Posts
So I am kinda at a crossroad….i have an opportunity to buy a cancelled HEV that is coming to the dealer in a couple months…. and i plan to discuss numbers with the sales guy to see how things line up…but at the end of the day, thisi is still not the same car we ordered. A couple differences between the two, Colour (not a big issue - though I am getting tired of black cars), less Horsepower than the PHEV (226 vs 260 for the PHEV) and leatherette seats instead of leather (not a game changer - might wear better)… but the thing is there is less than an $1000 difference between what ‘i want' and what ‘i might be able to get now'.

SO yeah.. I will talk numbers and see what happens… but with all the rumours flying around… If given the above scenario, what would you guys do?

141 - 160 of 181 Posts