Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys,

I got the call today that my car is here. I am scheduled to pick it up after its cleaning on 04-Nov-2022.

I fought a little since they didnt want to honor the deal i signed in Dec 2021.

Summary: APR gone from 3.99 to 5.99, Residual value dropped from 50% to 44$, rest gone in the amortized value.
Congrats Sazam not just for getting the car but it looks like you got a $1300 discount off the MSRP, well done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No 360 camera, but has all the other bells and whistles.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. That's the pain I'd like to share). So here is my list of what we (Canadians Luxury Hybrid/PHEV) don't have, if compared to calligraphy/top US hybrid trim:

• no 360 view camera
  • no blind spot camera feature (when the signal is turned -> in digital dash appropriate view from blind spot is engaged)
  • no auto-fold button for mirrors
  • no ambient lighting (you can select the color you want to let your interior glow)
  • no heads on display - projections on the front glass of your speed, signs, and navigation info (what's one I'd really love to have)
  • no standard us/Canada power outlet at the second seat row
  • no highway assist (speed limit signs detection with appropriate rendering in the digital dashboard, etc)
  • no rain sensor for the windshield
  • some limitation of blue-link (dont know the details but it shows as N/A for Canada Hybrid Luxury)
  • no enhanced audio system (harman kardon + sub)
  • if not mistaken, while using adaptive cruise control, only if you have highway assistance when the car can auto-resume movement after a full stop in a traffic for more than 2-3 sec
  • no wide 12 inch multimedia with navigation system (only 2022/2021 Canadians, looks like 2023 models have that)
  • Remote parking assist! using a keyfob you can make your car move forward/backward.
And even this list may not be complete. Will update, if remember anything new.

IMHO it's a LOT to loose, and I really regret that we don't have the option to select this for extra money

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I just read over in the Tuscon forum that a poster’s dealership just informed him that 2023 HEV/PHEV vehicles will be allocation only. The dealership is not sure if the order portal for Canada will open at all. A Toyota sales manager posted in Red Flag Deals forum regarding the Toyota RAV4 Prime “With our current orders it is 15-17 YEARS to fill them. 1 or 2 a year allocated and we have 40+ plus”

yikes.

I keep eyeing the Caligraphy but it’s $5000 more than the luxury hybrid phev (after BC rebates) and poor gas mileage comparatively.

sigh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Delays for new hybrid, electric cars reach years — not months — amid supply crunch

It's a situation Charles Chittick is familiar with.

He placed an order for a new plug-in hybrid vehicle in the spring of 2021. When one finally arrived a year later, it was the wrong trim and colour — and an extra $7,500 for bells and whistles he didn't want.

"I was silly enough to decline it because the dealership was expecting more and I was first on the list," Chittick said in an interview from Wolfville, N.S.

"I thought, 'They got one in, it’s a large dealership, surely to goodness there's going to be more coming. That was a big mistake."

The dealership received just one of five Toyota RAV4 Prime vehicles it was allocated for the entire year, he said.

Now Chittick said he's been told he has first dibs on one arriving in late December — nearly 21 months after he placed his order.

This time, if it arrives as scheduled, he's not taking any chances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With our current orders it is 15-17 YEARS to fill them
I can not imagine anyone who's going to wait that long.

To be honest, I think the reality will change soon. US base rate skyrocketing and being copy/paste by Bank of Canada, so a lot of people already paying almost double the price for variable rate mortgages compared with what they used to pay a year back.
That is just 1 example, but the big one. So I think the market correction is coming (less demand) leading to fewer people looking out for a new car. Overwise this situation will lead to an alternative 'black market' where you can get your car fast but for a little extra $$
I think already saw postings/ADs with almost new EV cars with prices higher than in the official dealership (for a new car).

I keep eyeing the Caligraphy but it’s $5000 more than the luxury hybrid phev (after BC rebates) and poor gas mileage comparatively.
Don't be. I've heard they already recalling these models. Some issues with a dual-clutch transmission (some oil pump issue) - so no one really knows how reliable this going to be.
Surprisingly PHEV still has old-fashioned but time-prooved traditional 6-speed hydraulic transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way, I'm in a similar situation as Milton_guy Same updates, same messages. Did my Santa FE PHEV order during the last days of 2021.
I'm living in Montreal and I really concerned about rust-proofing. Here this is a MUST since each winter we have a nice fresh smoothie of ice and salt on the roads. Someone mentioned that its forbidden for hybrid/EV cars, but I see some other info. E.g. I used to treat my Elantra here:
And they are saying that their method is safe for EVs (you can see same if you follow the link):

Electric vehicles can sometimes be built a little differently than traditional vehicles, and our product is perfectly adapted to this situation. Based on mineral oil similar to that found in high voltage transformers, our product is dielectric (does not conduct electricity) and safe for the electrical system of your EV.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm more concerned about the PHEV technology, I feel like every new model will come out with bigger and better battery, which may affect the resale. Manufacturers may also completely stop developing/selling PHEV. If I ever get mine, I might just go with the lease route especially if the dealer doesn't honour (very likely) my current bill of sale. Leasing will also negate the need for rust proofing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm more concerned about the PHEV technology, I feel like every new model will come out with bigger and better battery, which may affect the resale.
Well, I wouldn't worry about this. PHEV is basically a Hybrid with a bigger battery. And Hybrids have been out there quite a while with no tendency to disappear.
And, by the way, the first gen of Toyota Prius PHEV is 2012!

Speaking about resell value, you may also want to reconsider, since Hyundai is giving 8 year or 160K km warranty on all electrical parts and full 5 years of the power train, which from my perspective looks more interesting than the super-reliable Toyota 3-5 years limited warranty.
So if I were looking for a used car, 3-4 years old (I would definitely keep a close eye on that Hyundai PHEV)

Especially having in mind the recent Toyota milestone:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
By the way, I'm in a similar situation as Milton_guy Same updates, same messages. Did my Santa FE PHEV order during the last days of 2021.
You should have a build date at least. Sazam ordered in Dec 2021 and he just picked his up. You “should” be due to receive very, very soon. I would expect in the next 30 days. (Total guess but I’m trying to be optimistic for you)

[Milton_guy…I would not worry too much about resale and battery technology. It’s the never ending circle of technological progress. By the time the product hits store shelves it’s already outdated. The bleeding edge costs and last time I checked it appears none of us Lottomax or Powerball.

What concerns me is flipping. Many say rising interest rates and a looming recession will cause many buyers to back out or cancel orders thus moving those further down the line….up. I say Canadian buyers of a $53,000 plus vehicle may take it, financed or cash, drive it for a couple of thousand km then flip it back to the dealership at a profit on top of a new less expensive vehicle. The dealership will then resell basically a brand new vehicle at a substantial markup. Then, of course, there will be the private sales.

I have a PHEV on preorder. I also have a Sportage HEV SX on “order” ( probably allocation because the dealership hasn’t told me KIA accepted my order). The KIA most likely may come in before the Santa Fe PHEV. Remember I preordered the Santa Fe mid January 2021 and rumour has it HEV and PHEV will be allocation only for the time being. I was hinted at to expect PHEV mid 2023. The KIA I “ordered” August and was told 6 to 9 months in writing. So that, theoretically, lands them both at near the same time. So if the KIA arrives first I “ could “ take that and then trade it back in for the Santa Fe at cost or slight profit. Morally it would be good to cancel the other and let someone else move up the list. The dilemma is, based on the previous RAV4 story, should I take the KIA regardless if it comes in first because the 2023 Santa Fe PHEV models may never come to Canada for those who preordered mid Jan 2022 onwards.

well I have neither at this time so moot point anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've just stumbled upon that forum trying to look for some information on the expected release date of the 2023 Santa Fe PHEV.
I am in the Montreal, QC area and I have ordered mine in early April 2022 and still have no news.
Dealership initially told us, construction was set to begin last July, then it was postpone to October and now they told me they have no idea whatsoever about a potential start of the production for the Canadian market.

And now seeing that the market for EV or PHEV has at least a 2-year wait time, I have to say this is a bit frustrating...

Hugo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Hi Guys,

I've just stumbled upon that forum trying to look for some information on the expected release date of the 2023 Santa Fe PHEV.
I am in the Montreal, QC area and I have ordered mine in early April 2022 and still have no news.
Dealership initially told us, construction was set to begin last July, then it was postpone to October and now they told me they have no idea whatsoever about a potential start of the production for the Canadian market.

And now seeing that the market for EV or PHEV has at least a 2-year wait time, I have to say this is a bit frustrating...

Hugo
Yes I would agree that preorders placed as of Fall 2022 are looking at 18 to 24 months. There are assumptions that Canadian dealerships will receive HEV and PHEV Santa Fe vehicles by allocation instead of preorders meaning you will be offered a take it or go to the back of the line choice. No say on color and, with nasty dealerships, their profit add ons such as etching, etc.

Canada is indeed at the short end of the stick for the number of vehicles received compared to the US. The US dollar conversion to Korean Won is far better and thus more profitable per US vehicle sold.

Some, in other forums, have accused US dealerships of keeping stock off lots in storage to artificially create demand; “see our lots are bare….you best take this vehicle at its inflated price”.

Bottom line is the only facts any of us have is the Hyundai HEV / PHEV portal for 2023 orders isn’t open yet and we know nothing more than that.

I would think a second option would be in your best interests. I am number 4 on the wait list at my dealership and I’m not even confident at that. I’m not financing with them nor have a profitable trade in so I am thinking I will be bypassed in favor of a more profitable customer and there is no way I can prove that if it were to happen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Milton_guy and Alexey…Have either of you received any emails from Hyundai? Allegedly there is an update due Nov 22. I just read over in the Tuscon PHEV forums that Canadian orders accepted Nov and Dec of 2021 have been pushed to March 2023 build dates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Milton_guy and Alexey…Have either of you received any emails from Hyundai? Allegedly there is an update due Nov 22. I just read over in the Tuscon PHEV forums that Canadian orders accepted Nov and Dec of 2021 have been pushed to March 2023 build dates.
The last email I received from Hyundai was Oct 20th. I should get an update hopefully this week. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, but I have to disagree. That's the pain I'd like to share). So here is my list of what we (Canadians Luxury Hybrid/PHEV) don't have, if compared to calligraphy/top US hybrid trim:

• no 360 view camera
  • no blind spot camera feature (when the signal is turned -> in digital dash appropriate view from blind spot is engaged)
  • no auto-fold button for mirrors
  • no ambient lighting (you can select the color you want to let your interior glow)
  • no heads on display - projections on the front glass of your speed, signs, and navigation info (what's one I'd really love to have)
  • no standard us/Canada power outlet at the second seat row
  • no highway assist (speed limit signs detection with appropriate rendering in the digital dashboard, etc)
  • no rain sensor for the windshield
  • some limitation of blue-link (dont know the details but it shows as N/A for Canada Hybrid Luxury)
  • no enhanced audio system (harman kardon + sub)
  • if not mistaken, while using adaptive cruise control, only if you have highway assistance when the car can auto-resume movement after a full stop in a traffic for more than 2-3 sec
  • no wide 12 inch multimedia with navigation system (only 2022/2021 Canadians, looks like 2023 models have that)
  • Remote parking assist! using a keyfob you can make your car move forward/backward.
And even this list may not be complete. Will update, if remember anything new.

IMHO it's a LOT to loose, and I really regret that we don't have the option to select this for extra money

You are right, sorry for the late reply guys, im travelling and was sooo busy. Yes the PHEV luxury is missing a lot compared to calligraphy. But hearing the long wait times and production uncertainty for 2023 models, Im just glad i have a Santafe PHEV. I checked the windows they are double paned but road noise is poor compared to luxury cars. Overall i love this car and my small family does too. Will get it ceramic coated when i come back to canada, looking at a graphene based one. Already got tuxmats for winter and will purchase winter tire set from dealer (surprisingly cheaper than Costco - 1300 CAD for 18 inch steelies and tpms sensors). Best of luck to you guys

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got the email update now, I swear Hyundai is toying with me/us.

"As of November 14, 2022, we now expect to build your vehicle in January 2023"

I know it's counterintuitive but all these delays makes me want to cancel my order.

I should have ordered the RAV4 at the same time. The promise of earlier delivery of Santa Fe convinced me to order it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I know it's counterintuitive but all these delays makes me want to cancel my order.

I should have ordered the RAV4 at the same time. The promise of earlier delivery of Santa Fe convinced me to order it.
Same here. :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dealer confirmed that nothing on my bill of sale is guaranteed including rate, trade-in and price as I will be getting a 2023 not a 2022. He further tried to scare me from cancelling by telling me that the wait for any PHEV and EV is currently 3 years and they are more than happy to refund my deposit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
My dealer confirmed that nothing on my bill of sale is guaranteed including rate, trade-in and price as I will be getting a 2023 not a 2022. He further tried to scare me from cancelling by telling me that the wait for any PHEV and EV is currently 3 years and they are more than happy to refund my deposit.
My advice to both you and Alexey is hang on to your orders. You both have emails stating January 2023 production dates. That is more hopeful than a lot of Tuscon PHEV hopefuls who placed orders in Nov 2021. Their email stated a nebulous “first quarter 2023”

Take pity on me. I have no email. I have no confirmed order. I have no indication of anything. If Hyundai is leapfrogging production by cleaning up Santa Fe PHEV orders then moving to clean up Tuscon PHEV orders that bumps me to 3rd quarter 2023.

I’m seeing heinous dealerships out my way pricing Ioniq 5 long range EVs at just shy of $90,000 CAD. One dealership in particular takes any HEV cancellation or allotment, racks up 1000k on it and adds $10,000 to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Wow. So more than a year after the initial order is the estimate date for start of build ?

Any idea if the situation is the same for Toyota or other manufacturers ? My order dates back to April 2022 so I am starting to wonder if I am going to see a new car before the end of 2023. Might be a good idea to have another one in order from another manufacturer just n case ...

H

81 - 100 of 112 Posts