Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

Bow and Stern tie down points for transporting a Kayak

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  KevinB 
#1 ·
Hello all..

So I just installed a Thule Rack system for my kayaks last weekend on my 23 Hybrid... but I am at a loss where I can run the tie downs at the bow or stern.

The main problem is the BOW as the tie down system I used on the old car (nylon woven straps secured by fender bolts under the hood):

But these don't seem to work as the bolts in the 2023 model are just long enough to be tightened, but will not allow the extra couple millimeters from the grommet on the strap. I looked under the front bumper and all I see it AERO shielding - so no real tie down points there, but I do see a place for the tow hook installed on the passenger side of the bumper, however I REALLY would like to avoid using the tow hook for this.

For the stern... I might be able to use this liftgate loop set:

I had this on the the old car where the strap loops are on a rubber log that sits just inside the liftgate opening, but the strap loop hangs outside the liftgate to allow me to hook the stern tie down through. My only concern with this system is that it might cause the power liftgate to auto reverse. I have to try and see if it will work.

Any suggestions? Not sure if the setup under the hood of the non hybrid is different than mine...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello all..

So I just installed a Thule Rack system for my kayaks last weekend on my 23 Hybrid... but I am at a loss where I can run the tie downs at the bow or stern.

The main problem is the BOW as the tie down system I used on the old car (nylon woven straps secured by fender bolts under the hood):
View attachment 2708
But these don't seem to work as the bolts in the 2023 model are just long enough to be tightened, but will not allow the extra couple millimeters from the grommet on the strap. I looked under the front bumper and all I see it AERO shielding - so no real tie down points there, but I do see a place for the tow hook installed on the passenger side of the bumper, however I REALLY would like to avoid using the tow hook for this.

For the stern... I might be able to use this liftgate loop set:
View attachment 2707

I had this on the the old car where the strap loops are on a rubber log that sits just inside the liftgate opening, but the strap loop hangs outside the liftgate to allow me to hook the stern tie down through. My only concern with this system is that it might cause the power liftgate to auto reverse. I have to try and see if it will work.

Any suggestions? Not sure if the setup under the hood of the non hybrid is different than mine...
Just curious, I know you can buy the cross bars for the Hyundai. I wonder if you can purchase tie down hooks that can also be attached to the rails ( Hyundai parts maybe.)?

#3 ·
The kit comes with all the straps required... it is just locating a place to strap them down that is difficult. I might have found a spot under the hood but I am not sure if it is interfering with the hood closing. Seems harder to close than it should...there is not a lot of tolerance around the plastics under the hood and the hood itself.

#4 ·
Don't you have the roof cross bars? I'd just strap them to the bars. Or wherever you have on the roof as cross bars. You don't have them over the moon-roof, do you? A picture of your setup would help :).

#5 · (Edited)
I am following this too as I’m on the verge of buying recreational kayaks.

thormaxx1234….did you buy the Hyundai cross bars ….there are two types….which did you purchase? I’m assuming the Thule racks mount on the cross bars.

also what length are your kayaks? 10 or 12 feet or longer? I believe 10 foot recreational kayaks don’t necessarily need bow and stern straps with j racks but I was thinking about your dilemma with the hood strap too, It’s awfully tight and I too would be afraid of warping my hood. (Or rubbing the paint)

EDIT update. I looked under the front end. There are zero attachment points for a rope. It’s all cosmetic cowling and rope would just squish it. Hood straps will not work at the front but what about the side of the hood? Bow and stern lines are only there to deter the kayak from becoming a projectile in an accident.

#6 ·
did you buy the Hyundai cross bars ….there are two types
Vehicles with pano roof require the taller ones, so you cannot go wrong with those. If you buy the shorter ones, they only fit lower trims without pano roofs.

#10 ·
also what length are your kayaks? 10 or 12 feet or longer? I believe 10 foot recreational kayaks don’t necessarily need bow and stern straps with j racks but I was thinking about your dilemma with the hood strap too, It’s awfully tight and I too would be afraid of warping my hood. (Or rubbing the paint)

EDIT update. I looked under the front end. There are zero attachment points for a rope. It’s all cosmetic cowling and rope would just squish it. Hood straps will not work at the front but what about the side of the hood? Bow and stern lines are only there to deter the kayak from becoming a projectile in an accident.
so we have a pair of Wilderness Systems Pungo 120's. These are 12 foot recreational kayaks designed around comfort and mpre suitable for flat water. The seat is really comfy for long paddles.

for front tie downs, ithink the under hood straps will work as i found a set of bolts that are not recessed in the plastic. The are closer to the front of the hood, but the straps stick out about 2 inches on the side just over the DRL module. Will try that out, but npticed the hood goves a bit more resistance when closing. Gap tolerance under the hood seems fairly tight as it is… so hopefully a few extra mm with these straps wont cause any issues.

#14 ·
This will work just fine for you. Can be used easily both sides of the hood and in liftgate area.

I was out at western canoe and kayak (big retailer out here in bc) and the avid staff kayakers all swear by them. They call them paint savers. He showed me 4 or 5 staff cars in the parking lot....all had them.

#16 ·
I guess I'm reviving an older thread but I'm in a similar situation. For over 10 years we owned a 2012 Santa Fe Limited and I mounted Thule Hullavators on Thule square bars on it. We used the system for two Pungo 120s which we subsequently replaced with fiberglass/aramid Current Designs Visions - a 13' and a 14', both 24" wide and 40lbs each. We used Thule Hood Loop Straps for the bow tie downs, and simple rope loops tied around anchor points for the sterns with a loop-to-loop connection. The system has held up extremely well with very many trips all along the east coast from Florida to Nova Scotia.

So, a month ago we sold the 2012 Santa Fe and bought a new 2023 Santa Fe Hybrid Limited. While paddling season has pretty much passed for us this year I'm now trying to figure out how to use the older Hullavators cradles on the new car. When I bought the older ones they were about $500 each side, and now they retail for $950 per side so if I can adapt the older ones to a newer rack then all the better. Fortunately I kept all the old hardware for the older ones so Thule tells me I should have no problems mounting them to a T-track style Evo Wing Bar.

The issue I have is that my old system used a 50" wide square bar and while this worked, the Hullavator cradles in the down position came perilously close to the sides of the car. We had to be very careful when we loaded and unloaded the kayaks. I ordered a fit kit, feet and a 53" WingBar Evo but it looks like the new car is a bit wider where the cradles would extend to. So, the obvious answer is to use a wider bar and Thule's next size up is 60". Thule tells me that the 60" bar "assuredly" will not mount to my car as the channels underneath the bar, that the feet attach to, are only 8" long and not long enough to meet the 45" (edge to edge) of the Hyundai rails.

I did some measuring based on the 53" bar I have and I think they're wrong. So, while Thule had their recent Black Friday discount sale. I also ordered a 60" Wing Bar and a 60" square bar. They are on their way and I'll try them this coming weekend. After that I'll be returning at least 2 (and maybe all!) Thule products to them. Thule also claims that that the 60" bars need a minimum of 47" spacing between the midpoint of each rail, which I'll be just a little short of if I can get them to fit. I've had multiple email exchanges with Thule support over this. They have been polite, professional and informative throughout. And while they say what I want to do might well work fine, they can't recommend it as they haven't tried it themselves on a 2023 Santa Fe and therefore what I want to do will void any warranty on the rack system.

To go back to the original post, the Thule Quick Loop straps (the loop with the attached rubber pipe) also work well under the hood although I too used the ones with grommets. In over 10 years of use we never experience any issues with ropes rubbing the paintwork, or deforming the hood or any seals. I think I'll try the straps with the grommets again.

Thanks for listening and I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.