Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my battery. According to the dealer, the battery is getting weak. The dealer wants $250.00 for a lifetime battery. It's 3-1/2 years old. When I remove the battery, will I lose all the settings on the radio? I've heard attaching a 9 volt battery across the terminals will prevent that. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is no such thing as a lifetime battery. All the dealer is really offering you is a battery with an extended warranty. Thing is, at $250, you're paying for it! Go to local auto parts store, Wall Mart or Sam's and buy a battery. The store will install it for free and if you do a little shopping, you should be able to get a battery for less than $125. What is the year and Model of your car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
BTW, the little 9 volt battery into your cigarette lighter works great for keeping you radio stations set during a battery changeout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to replace the battery myself. I've done that before on other cars that I have owned. I replaced batteries in both of my Hondas. I did have the code for the radios. I replaced the battery in my son's Audi. We did not have the code for the radio. Was a pain to get it. The dealer wanted to charge big bucks to reset the radio. Finally got the code from the internet. Did anyone ever hook the 9 volt battery across the battery terminals to accomplish the same thing? I'm going to try that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad you can do this yourself.

Retired Electrical Engineer here...No need place the 9V battery across battery terminals (but that will work fine!).

Buying the harness and 9V battery and sticking it in your charger port will work the same. You can alway ask the dealer how they retain the codes.

Make sure the charging port is always hot, even with the ignition switch off. You can do this by sticking a pone charger in the port and seeing if your phone is still charging when the ignition is off. Might want to make sure you try all the available ports.

I'm not sure on our Santa Fe as it's only a year old but on my older Porsche, I can get the radio serial number off the back of the radio and go online and get a code with no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts