Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m trying to understand how the towing capacity works for our vehicle.
We have a 2014 Sport 2.4L 4-cylinder AWD.
We’ll be loading up boxes and some light furniture in a 4x8 uhaul trailer and traveling from Florida to New York. That’s the idea anyways.

I understand “tongue weight”, this is the weight the trailer puts on the hitch ball, and I think with the Curt Class III hitch that I’m looking at, it has a 500-800lb tongue weight. I also understand the weight of cargo in the vehicle is a different rating than the weight it can tow.

Incline and decline roads aside, how can I figure out for sure how much weight I can load up INSIDE the Santa Fe and how much weight I can also TOW at the same time? I’d like to know the max, even though I definitely wouldn’t try to max it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Towing Capacity 2014

Cargo PayLoad is 1650lbs, including passengers
Towing= 2000 lbs, 5000* lbs IF you have a trailer with a braking system. and tow package.
* additional items needed

This spec is for 2.4L engine with 4WD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cargo PayLoad is 1650lbs, including passengers
Towing= 2000 lbs, 5000* lbs IF you have a trailer with a braking system. and tow package.
* additional items needed

This spec is for 2.4L engine with 4WD
Thank you for your response. That is pretty much what I've understood from reading the owners manual.
I intend to just install a hitch (Curt 13152) as it seems pretty easy, and the wiring for the lights is already set up under the back bumper, I just need to buy the converter harness with the flat 4 plug.

The owners manual has a chart that has engine size and transmission, that I don't totally understand:

Maximum Trailer Weight - Without brake system - 1653lbs
Maximum Trailer Weight - With brake system - without trailer package - 2000lbs
Maximum Trailer Weight - With brake system - with trailer package - 2800lbs

I guess I don't understand exactly what the trailer package is. Does that mean a transmission oil cooler? Doesn't the Santa Fe come from the factory with a transmission cooler?
Honestly, I don't think we'll even be at 1600lbs, including the weight of the trailer itself. I just don't want to mess up the transmission or engine, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts