Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy even though Hyundai is still replacing bad engines from a class action lawsuit.
Well Hyundai’s engineers have a new problem, the smart cruise uses brakes to maintain the speed you have set. Might be fine in Kansas, but in the AZ mountains having the speed control riding the brakes to hold the speed during long downhills is warping the rotors very rapidly.
Hyundai’ response is for dealers to turn the rotors if in the first year/12k miles… after than you are on your own. Do I foresee another class action lawsuit?🤯🤯

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you referring to the sport mode? That makes it run at higher rpms and kills gas mileage. On my 2020, when the cruise is on in normal un-smart mode, when going downhill it seems to limit the speed to what it is set to by what seems to be application if braking but the rpms also increase by several hundred at the same time

·
Registered
3 Posts
We purchased a 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy even though Hyundai is still replacing bad engines from a class action lawsuit.
Well Hyundai’s engineers have a new problem, the smart cruise uses brakes to maintain the speed you have set. Might be fine in Kansas, but in the AZ mountains having the speed control riding the brakes to hold the speed during long downhills is warping the rotors very rapidly.
Hyundai’ response is for dealers to turn the rotors if in the first year/12k miles… after than you are on your own. Do I foresee another class action lawsuit?🤯🤯
The cruise control uses the brakes? That is the most insane thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have a 2021 limited 4x4. Coming down from Sherwin Summit into Bishop Ca. last summer. I lightly applied the brakes to slow the vehicle. Car shook like a dog pooping peach pits. Thought it was a flat tire. Pulled to the side of the highway and saw nothing. After that I had intermediate light pulsing when I applied the brakes. Took it to the dealer assuming the rotors were warped (about 5-7,000 miles on the car at that time). They said there was hardly any warp but turned the rotors anyway. They blamed the shudder on the downhill grade on the trans. Said they "reprogrammed" the trans. I'll be traveling that same section of highway in a couple weeks....we'll see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Say what? Didn't know about this. I just paid a $1K deposit on one (FWD Calligraphy silver/black), and now I'm worried about it. Ha ha. Can you provide some details? I sold a Kia Optima SX-L 2.0T for engine issues, so hope I don't have to go thru that again. And what exactly has been the issue with the engine? I test-drove one, and has plenty of power (it's actually quicker, and by quite a bit, than my 2021 departing Palisade Calligraphy), and the dual-clutch 8-sp tranny is awesome. Hopefully all engine issues are in the past, but want to investigate further, to make a final decision. I could pass on it, but honestly don't see any other option. Plus I already sold my Pali (for $500 over what I actually have on it, so an awesome deal), and can't back out of the deal now. It hasn't been picked up, but I already sent signed title and papers. Thank you in advance for the info you could provide on this. Take care.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you know what years use the brakes to maintain speed? I cannot find that info. on the web. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Typically you never find that kind of technical info, so my suggestion is just don't use it on downhills until somebody can answer that with solid proof. I'm trying to find the engine lawsuit, or what was wrong with some engines, and nothing. Any links guys? Thank you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you may be getting the standard cruise control and the adaptive cruise control settings mixed up. Adaptive uses brakes, standard does not as I understand it. The Santa Fe has both options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purposely only use the standard setting on my 2020 Limited Ultimate and it most definitely applies the brakes on downhill grades. I have never owned any other vehicle that does that. Then it loses at least 3 mph going up the other side until it decides to downshift, unless I do it manually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't think ANY cruise mode used the brakes on an open downhill due to speeding up. But could be wrong. I hardly ever use cruise anyway, and never on either downhill or uphill, so fortunately not an issue for me at all :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you may be getting the standard cruise control and the adaptive cruise control settings mixed up. Adaptive uses brakes, standard does not as I understand it. The Santa Fe has both options.
Wait a minute....My 22' Caligraphy has the option for standard cruise control? Off to the manual again...

Also, would the downhill hold type option help here? I'm new to this vehicle and that may only be meant for going downhill in snow? I've only got about 3000 miles after a 1k trip, so I am still getting used to things.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I purposely only use the standard setting on my 2020 Limited Ultimate and it most definitely applies the brakes on downhill grades. I have never owned any other vehicle that does that. Then it loses at least 3 mph going up the other side until it decides to downshift, unless I do it manually.
hey if I may ask how is it you know your brakes are being used on downhill grades?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 22' Caligraphy has the option for standard cruise control?
Also, would the downhill hold type option help here?
I read on another forum that 2022 no longer have regular cruise, but you can try. My 2021 Palisade Calligraphy still had it, and was toggled by pressing the steering wheel button used to change the following distance. Give it a try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work anymore.
And the downhill button is just to crawl offroad at minimal speed (3 mph, I think). Your best bet when going downhill is cruise off, and use engine braking (via the paddles). But keep in mind turbo engines have significantly lower compression than NA ones, so less engine braking, and rpm are expected to go higher. You might have to brake for a second to lower speed, then repeat as rpm climb again. I don't like to see over 4K rpm, so when it gets to that point, I start using the brakes momentarily as stated above. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On every car I have had that had cruise control, I have used it on hilly roads but never had experienced the car taking a noticable nose dive going down a slight downgrade. If it isn't applying the brakes why does it decelerate so hard instead of coasting? I will not ever use "smart cruise" so it can't be that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2016 Genesis used brakes when engine was not enough. Small engines = gas mileage, BUT not so good compression braking. These 4 bangers are not diesels with compression braking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also remember turbos have lower compression, so not as good for engine braking. The Calligraphy has 10.5, vs 13 for the non-turbo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts