Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is 2.0t awd. Dealers can't find anything. Hyundai USA is researching my case still. The dealers are starting to piss me off. Dealers won't say anything is wrong but won't say that the acceleration is normal. Hyundai USA has excellent service and I truly believe they are trying to figure this out. Not so good service from dealers though

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I hope so, because I thought the same thing until corporate pulled the, "We refuse to do anything about it, but keep sending us pictures and videos of these issues!" They're never getting another penny from me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here. I signed up specifically for this issue. I have a 2017 SFS 2.0T Ultimate w/Tech package, owned since April 2016. The acceleration/hesitation issue has been present the entire time I've owned the vehicle. I've filed a complaint on NHTSA.gov, and am going to be talking to my dealer about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't read every thread but I too have this problem and I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION. When you're turning and if safe to do so, look down at the bottom right of the instrument panel. I'll bet you see a flashing symbol which is actually the traction control engaging. It's the most sensitive traction control I've ever encountered. To prove this is the issue, find your traction control bottom and push it for at least 1-2 seconds until it says it's disabled. I will almost guarantee you won't have the issue anymore when driving. The only problem is you need to do this every time you start your car and of course when you don't anticipate any conditions that'll benefit from traction control.
I'm trying to contact Hyundai about a fix because it is dangerous. I don't know why the threashold is so low for it but when I disable traction control, I have NO issues going around a corner no matter what speed I'm going.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if this helps anyone so I can show hyundai what they need to do to fix this problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't read every thread but I too have this problem and I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION. When you're turning and if safe to do so, look down at the bottom right of the instrument panel. I'll bet you see a flashing symbol which is actually the traction control engaging. It's the most sensitive traction control I've ever encountered. To prove this is the issue, find your traction control bottom and push it for at least 1-2 seconds until it says it's disabled. I will almost guarantee you won't have the issue anymore when driving. The only problem is you need to do this every time you start your car and of course when you don't anticipate any conditions that'll benefit from traction control.
I'm trying to contact Hyundai about a fix because it is dangerous. I don't know why the threashold is so low for it but when I disable traction control, I have NO issues going around a corner no matter what speed I'm going.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if this helps anyone so I can show hyundai what they need to do to fix this problem.
There's about 3 diff. scenarios that can cause the issue (so far) and it appears only one is governed by the disabling of the ESC and/or traction control. You'll notice that sometimes the ESC (not the traction control, they're two different indicators on the instrument panel, I believe) will kick in. So far it seems to occur when the front wheels are turning (to some degree), and the vehicle is accelerating (again, to some degree) AND the rear wheels "slip" or hit a bump (we think AWD 2.0 T models are more prone).

Anyway, on the other forum, supposedly Hyundai Canada has duped this and is issuing a software programming fix. I don't know if/when Hyundai USA will get the same fix. Only reporting what someone else posted from the other forum (we can't post the URL here because the forum owners don't allow it).

If/when a TSB or some # is available to reference (Canada or USA), I'll post it here as well.

Other cases where the situation can occur:
"Unintended acceleration" feature can kick in (no ESC light shows up)
Traction Control
ESC

The latter two seem to be more prone on the 2.0 T (probably due to higher torque from previous model year 2.0 T, and of course, the non-turbo engines I don't believe have the different torque values), and the AWD models seem to be more prone as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2017, 2.0T SF has been at the dealer for 2.5 weeks and just picked it up today. New TSB installed 17-14-001 (ESC update). Ride was good on the way home...fingers crossed that this works!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also my wife's 2017 SF 2.0T Ultimate had the TSB update flashed this past week and so far so good.

I have my 2017 SF2.0T Ultimate scheduled for the TSB update this coming week.

I highly urge you all to have this done and advise your fellow forum users about your experience after the update!

UPDATE:
I've also had my 2017 SF 2.0T Ultimate updated. From what I've observed so far, the problem has disappeared. It does seem to shift into 2nd gear a little faster, but that may be my imagination. But if they did indeed include that as part of the "fix", that would make sense as torque would be reduced for the rear wheels to "see" any slippage. This doesn't mean it won't accelerate if one punches it. It's a drive-by-wire vehicle, and as such throttle is not like a direct throttle to the engine.

This is the TSB update info:
-----
TSB #5NP-Y4G6Q-09
NHTSA ID #10081502
Date Announced: AUGUST 02 2016
Summary: THIS BULLETIN PROVIDES INFORMATION RELATED TO THE TCU SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR THE SUBJECT VEHICLES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE A TRANSMISSION HESITATION OR SHIFT SHOCK WHEN ACCELERATING AT SLOW SPEEDS.

-----

If I have any issues I will update this posting. I am still recommending those affected to visit their dealer and request the flash upgrade because of the issues described in this forum.

My thanks to those who have posted before as I've only had my vehicle since March. It helped knowing that there was indeed an issue and apparently Hyundai had indeed been working on an update to resolve this pesky issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this issue only happening to Sport models? Or is it also present in "regular" Santa Fe models?
If you've not noticed an issue, then I wouldn't worry about it. Others have advised it appears more prevalent in the Turbo Ultimate which includes All Wheel Drive (AWD). I do believe it is related to the AWD sensing and software for the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm seeing others other than the 2.0L Turbo are having issues if it is AWD. I'm guessing this update also fixes the issue for other AWD Santa Fe owners.

Unfortunately my post count is too low to post an URL. So I'll type it out long hand...

carcomplaints dot com slash Hyundai slash Santa_Fe slash 2017 slash transmission slash hesitation dot shtml

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got the TSB that fixes this installed today at the dealer. It's a whole new animal now. Shifts much better, especially the down shift logic, smoother, the throttle is more responsive, and maybe most importantly, the traction control issues are gone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, the TSB is limited to 2.0 T for the 2017-2018 SFS (If I recall correctly), and then the full body Santa Fe certain model year production dates.

For the US it's: 17-BR-002
For Canada it's: "Santa Fe Sport & Santa Fe XL TCS Control Logic Improvement TSB 17-14-001"

I've had mine done and so far so good. Definitely shifts a LOT better, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correction:
for Canada it's TSB 17-41-001
Purchased my 2017 santa fe 2.0T sport limited AWD, in April 2016, and it has had this issue since. The dealer had told me its normal at the time.
I just called Hyundai Canada in regards to this fix and they had not idea what I was talking about. They said it does not match their recall code.

How do I go about getting this done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Elvis7 I live in Canada and have a 2017 2.0T Ultimate with the same issue. Were you able to get the update? If so, do you know what the code for the Service was or the Canadian TSB? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Elvis7 I live in Canada and have a 2017 2.0T Ultimate with the same issue. Were you able to get the update? If so, do you know what the code for the Service was or the Canadian TSB? Thanks.
Yup, now my sf drives great, no more traction Control kicking in on small bumps or lag.

Go to your hyundai dealer, or call them to set up an appointment in reference to technical service bulletin 17-41-001

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solved

Got the TSB that fixes this installed today at the dealer. It's a whole new animal now. Shifts much better, especially the down shift logic, smoother, the throttle is more responsive, and maybe most importantly, the traction control issues are gone.
Same. Got it done 2 weeks ago, way more responsive, feels unleashed in a way. It always felt hesitant. Service advisor had no clue when I asked about it, it wasn't in his system, but the tech got the update when he scanned it in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, owner of a 2016 7-seater Santa Fe. I have the hesitation on mine as well. It's mostly on corners that I have stopped at or came to a rolling stop before completing the turn, and rarely on acceleration on a straight-away. Either way, it is too inconsistent to bring into a repair shop to have it diagnosed and fixed. Yesterday I turned off eco mode and so far it hasn't done it. I also seem to have better gas mileage- shouldn't I have worse??
I have seen a lot of talk about this being on 2017 sport models, but mine is neither.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, owner of a 2016 7-seater Santa Fe. I have the hesitation on mine as well. It's mostly on corners that I have stopped at or came to a rolling stop before completing the turn, and rarely on acceleration on a straight-away. Either way, it is too inconsistent to bring into a repair shop to have it diagnosed and fixed. Yesterday I turned off eco mode and so far it hasn't done it. I also seem to have better gas mileage- shouldn't I have worse??
I have seen a lot of talk about this being on 2017 sport models, but mine is neither.
Wondering if you found a solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brand new 2017 Santa Fe Limited hesitates badly when coming out of turns and attempting to accelerate...just short of coming to a stop. It is very pronounced when in ECO Mode, but is an issue to a lesser degree in the other two driving modes. Does anyone else have this issue? (I have an appointment soon to get it looked at, but was told that there is no adjustment that they can do.) It is unacceptable and I'm looking to hear if this is a common. The owners manual states that performance in ECO mode is less. But this is very annoying and borders being dangerous. :frown
I also have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport which I generally keep in ECO mode. For quite a while, yet very intermittently, I too note it "flattens" out as I'm pulling out of a turn and even with my pedal to the metal, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to kick in and accelerate. Very dangerous when pulling into traffic so I've gotten super cautious. I have an appointment Sept 27 2021 for them to analyze it but the trouble is it only happens occasionally. Hoping the service manager will know enough about the issue to resolve it.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts