Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4l FWD, Base Model, popular package only, manufacture date 09/28/16, delivery date 11/25/16. It has around 2300 miles on it. Driven in Maryland. I have not experienced the shift-shock or the hesitation that has been mentioned on this site or other sites YET !!!. If the owners would be specific on the exact vehicle they own we might be able to narrow these problems down a little. Some use SWB - short wheel base ,I assume the sport model and some use LWB - long wheel base for full sante fe model. Tried driving in ECO mode but engine feels like laboring, only using normal mode. So far I'm quite impressed by it's handling and response (subject to change as time goes by). The more info on vehicle the better. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys is anyone got this issue with 2017 Santa Fe Luxury am thinking to buy one
AFAIK, this issue is specific to the Santa Fe Sport (SFS). The LWB (long wheel base) had a similar issue but only for the V6 engine. Hyundai had a TSB fix for that specific model.

Also, I don't see any such "Luxury" model in the US. Are you referring to non-US models by chance?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4l FWD, Base Model, popular package only, manufacture date 09/28/16, delivery date 11/25/16. It has around 2300 miles on it. Driven in Maryland. I have not experienced the shift-shock or the hesitation that has been mentioned on this site or other sites YET !!!. If the owners would be specific on the exact vehicle they own we might be able to narrow these problems down a little. Some use SWB - short wheel base ,I assume the sport model and some use LWB - long wheel base for full sante fe model. Tried driving in ECO mode but engine feels like laboring, only using normal mode. So far I'm quite impressed by it's handling and response (subject to change as time goes by). The more info on vehicle the better. Thanks
We've also got the thread going on over at the --------------------, in the SWB sub-forum.

AFAIK, the LWB issue (which is similar to this issue) was only for the V6 engine and Hyundai issued a fix for it.

They have yet to acknowledge an issue with the Santa Fe Sport (SFS/SWB). Although I see far less complaints on the SWB vs. the LWB (the majority of the NHTSA complaints for the LWB).

I can sorta dupe the issue on my 2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate AWD w/tech package, but it requires that I hit a certain pothole "just right" at a certain speed, on an Interstate Entrance ramp. I've duped it twice after the initial pothole hit. The ESC (electronic stability control) will kick in and basically cut power to the engine so you're "coasting" almost for 2 full seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Update to my above post: had alot of places to go today so I tried to duplicate these problems. L/R low speed turns, gunning it from stop, hard turn etc. Still quite responsive in all situation, actually burn rubber when doing all this. Was in normal mode, T/C on.People must think I was a nuts at times. Sport mode is a real go getter. I guess the car might be to young for the problem to show if it does (2450 miles).

·
Registered
3 Posts

Update to my above post: had alot of places to go today so I tried to duplicate these problems. L/R low speed turns, gunning it from stop, hard turn etc. Still quite responsive in all situation, actually burn rubber when doing all this. Was in normal mode, T/C on.People must think I was a nuts at times. Sport mode is a real go getter. I guess the car might be to young for the problem to show if it does (2450 miles).
Update: Look on page 5-47 (thick owners manual) under "When operating". "When moving out mud/slippery road, pressing accelerator pedal MAY NOT cause engine rpm to increase" hence some sort of delay. Granted people had other conditions that caused delay, but it looks like a good start for software update maybe. Also page 5-49, although nobody's on a dynamometer, another mention of "may prevent vehicle speed from increasing and false diagnosis" another area for hyundai to look into for software etc. Maybe these situations need fine tuning. I guess turning off Traction control, one or both modes, problem might go away till fix comes out if any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same issue on my 2017 AWD 2.0t Santa Fe Sport. Been experiencing this since the day I've got it. Only 900 miles on it. This is totally unacceptable and will definitely be filing a complaint per the suggestions on other posts. 100% a safety issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still waiting for my 2.0 SFS ultimate W Tech.

I hope I don't have this problem.
I made this purchase based om my 14 Veloster Turbo reliability.
I will keep all updated as soon as I get the darn thing!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check here:

http://www.--------------------/dm-...ock-weird-hesitation-issue-7.html#post5111674

Someone in Canada got the dealer to dupe it not only on their vehicle but a new one on the lot as well. Looks to be specific to the 2.0 T with AWD, maybe.

Seriously? Can't post URL's to other forums? Who's the genius that decided that? Guess the owners of this forum don't want to actually help anyone.

hyundai-forums
com
and then the rest of the URL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too

Just renewed my Lease going from a '14 SFS 2.0T AWD to a '17 version of exactly the same car. The hesitation on the new one is crazy. I can't believe they haven't addressed this. I nearly got taken out by a truck the other day when I pulled out expecting the usual quick response time. Instead I rolled slowly into the road for 2 full seconds fruitlessly flooring the accelerator until I finally got some power. Somebody's gonna get hurt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a Hyundai Tucson 2017 four months ago. Since then I have experienced 3 occasions i which the acceleration on the vehicle has failed. Twice while making a left turn into oncoming traffic. (If there had not been a turning lane to roll into I would have been T-boned.) Another time it just lost control while driving down the road at 25 mph. THIS IS A HUGE SAFETY ISSUE! I do not trust this vehicle with my life or the lives of my family. I am taking the car back to the dealership on Tuesday, as I have a service appointment then. What can I do about this? I am terrified to drive this vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok.. so instead 9f writing about it here, go to your dealer and demo the issue and have them contact Hyundai about it.

It's clearly a software/calibration issue with either the wheel speed sensors or the prop shaft speed sensor.

Another option would be to see if we could get consumer reports to make a fuss about it as a safety issue. That will get attention.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a new 2017 sante fe sport AWD turbo ultimate with tech package. I noticed this hesitation 3 times before searching the internet to see what I could find out about what was happening. I read that someone was having this hesitation when turning problem when hitting a pot hole in the road. They are paving a major road near where I work. One lane is done leaving uneven pavement. I turned left driving across this part of the road and was able to recreate the problem. It hesitated badly as it had done before. I did not slow down when going over this bump in the road I drove at the normal speed I would if that wasnt there. I did this for three days and it happened all the time. Today I turned off the traction control when I drove over it and it didn't happen. I am sharing because maybe it will help someone else re create it for their dealer. I have an appointment tomorrow at dealership. I'll update what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, on the other forum, we've determined if you turn off the ESC and/or Traction Control the issue mostly goes away (there's still a few scenarios where it'll happen).

When you have the issue, look at the instrument panel. If you see the ESC/TSC indicator light blinking, then that's the culprit. But there's other scenarios where it'll happen where the ESC/TSC doesn't light up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update. I just returned from the dealer and I was told this is a normal function of the vehicle. He knew exactly what I was talking about and the first thing he said was "When you turn the traction control off it doesn't happen right". Many things about this visit indicated to me that they are aware of this and are told to say it's supposed to be this way because there is no fix. I was given the phone number to Hyundai and I will call them next. I do not understand why you would lose power and your vehicle would just stop moving because your wheel lost traction. It prevents me from having any control of my car. Since I live in a cold weather climate I can't wait to see what happens in the snow covered roads. But service tech said it doesn't happen in the snow. I sure hope someone can explain this to me from Hyundai because I'm not at all satisfied with the answer I received. It's just disappointing because other than this I love the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My brand new 2017 Santa Fe Limited hesitates badly when coming out of turns and attempting to accelerate...just short of coming to a stop. It is very pronounced when in ECO Mode, but is an issue to a lesser degree in the other two driving modes. Does anyone else have this issue? (I have an appointment soon to get it looked at, but was told that there is no adjustment that they can do.) It is unacceptable and I'm looking to hear if this is a common. The owners manual states that performance in ECO mode is less. But this is very annoying and borders being dangerous. :frown
This is a very common issue of which Hyundai is very well aware. However, they are trying to sweep it under the rug. I reported it to corporate and even though I was able to replicate it, as well as a host of other issues I was having with the "mechanic" in the passenger seat, they still refused to qualify it as a lemon. The best advice I can give you is that if you can't get out of your lease or loan, just be incredibly careful while driving your Santa Fe and document EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, on the other forum, we've determined if you turn off the ESC and/or Traction Control the issue mostly goes away (there's still a few scenarios where it'll happen).

When you have the issue, look at the instrument panel. If you see the ESC/TSC indicator light blinking, then that's the culprit. But there's other scenarios where it'll happen where the ESC/TSC doesn't light up.
Mine was a case of the latter. No matter what I did, it continued to happen, though to a slightly lesser degree with traction control off. How turning features off to make the vehicle run as it should is well beyond me. When I complained to Hyundai, I was told that the engineers claimed that it was, "...running exactly as it was designed." Well, it might be time for more competent engineers, Hyundai.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just renewed my Lease going from a '14 SFS 2.0T AWD to a '17 version of exactly the same car. The hesitation on the new one is crazy. I can't believe they haven't addressed this. I nearly got taken out by a truck the other day when I pulled out expecting the usual quick response time. Instead I rolled slowly into the road for 2 full seconds fruitlessly flooring the accelerator until I finally got some power. Somebody's gonna get hurt.
I was in the exact same boat as you, though I traded in a 15 for the 17. Huge mistake.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts