Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.4L
after 15-20 minutes driving, outside temp upper 70's, AC on auto set to 66 deg, volume of air falls off sharply and cabin starts to heat up. If I turn off auto and AC then put fan on high, cold air and full volume air flow returns. My guess evap is freezing up, but why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it were freezing up, it would take a few minutes with AC off and fan on high for full volume flow to return. It wouldn't go to full flow and full cooling immediately.

If it is freezing up, that is due to low freon levels. A car can have slightly low freon, still cool enough for not terribly hot conditions (like outside temp in the 70's), but eventually will freeze up and stop cooling.

You can buy a cheap can of freon with a hose on it if you don't have or know someone with gauges to check. See by the pressure if the levels are low, and if so a single can is likely enough to top it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apart from a possible re-gas it's also a classic symptom of 'thermistor' failure. Problem well known to Hyundai in semi tropical climes here 'downunder' . Was the only warranty fix required in otherwise 95,000 trouble free Kms in my 2015 Santa Fe (diesel).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts