Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 10k miles on ou new Calligraphy and have had four alignments performed because of the outside of the tires feathering. Three different dealerships and recently Firestone have tried to resolve this problem without any luck. I even put on a new set of Pirellis to rule out a tire problem. Friday I am having Firestone set the toe out to a spec outside of Hyundai’s recommended range to try to resolve this issue.
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not yet (I'm at 3,500 at the moment, but will have 6K+ in a week), but if the outside of the tires are showing wear, it'd be a CAMBER issue, not toe. And specifically, not enough negative camber. Are you having the issue on all 4 tires, or just front or back? Curious about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue on our car is too much toe in as the outsides of the tires are feathering. Camber will not cause feathering, only excessive wear.
The fronts show serious feathering at 2000 miles while the rears are feathering, but not nearly as bad. MOOG makes offset camber bolts and caster plates to make the camber and caster both adjustable (as Santa Fe’s come non adjustable from the factory).
Factory tolerance shows a maximum toe of -.05 per side (-.1 total). I had one dealer
set the fronts to -.04 per side (- .08 total) and it helped but did not eliminate the feathering so I am having Firestone set each side to -.07 (-.14 total) this morning. Discount Tire will X rotate the tires tomorrow am I will let you know what happens in the next 2500 miles.
FYI, the new Pirellis made significant improvements in ride quality, noise, and wet traction. The Continentals that come on the car are a cheap OEM spec tire that only comes with 9/32 of tread new instead of the normal 11/32! It makes no sense to spend millions on suspension development and then spec out a cheap crappy tire… 😱

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by 'feathering', but yeah, too much toe exacerbates wear. However, you're complaining of too much toe, and you're INCREASING it? Don't get that. And camber is non-adjustable on the SF??? I've never heard of that before, on any vehicle. Caster is rarely adjustable, but camber always is... although up to a point only. Didn't know the stock tires came with less thread; that's weird, but I believe it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feathering- run your hand around the tire clockwise, then counter clockwise. If you feel a sharp edge going one way the tire is feathering. Too much toe in will cause feathering on the outer edge of the tires. I had the toe in changed outside of Hyundai specs in an effort to eliminate this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts