Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2022 Santa Fe to the dealer (6800 miles) due to shifting badly. Dealer is working with Hyundai Corporate Technicians. Taking a week to diagnose the problem and still not identified. The problem happens the first drive the next day: no power as the engine revs to 4000 rpm. By shutting off and restarting, the problem disappears (like a computer reboot!). took on vacation. Drove from the initial start and no power merging onto the interstate - very unsafe. When it finally got up to speed the car ran 80 mph at 3000 rpm. It did this for two hours. After stopping at a rest stop and shutting off the engine and restarting... problems disappeared. Power getting back onto the interstate was there and now the car ran 80 mph at 2000 rpm - where I would expect it to have been all along.

Here it is a week later and Hyundai still doesn't know the exact problem. Service said it could take weeks to fix and if it is the transmission needing to be replaced, they are on back-order...Bottomline was told it could take 1-2 months to have this resolved. So here I am making monthly payments to drive my new Calligraphy while driving an older base model Chevy from a rental agency.

This seems to be a known issue, yet Hyundai has yet to figure out the cause or the fix. Patience is wearing very thin!

This is the first time I ventured away from an American make and now I am questioning my decision.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh man; now a 2022. Not what I want to hear, but hopefully just an isolated incident. May I ask you for the last 6 of your VIN? Mine is xxx453734. Just curious how close to mine it is. And yes, at that low mileage it cannot be anything else other than a manufacturing defect. I like the quirkiness of DCTs, but to be brutally honest, it just doesn't make sense on the SF. Plus it's not one of the best either. Wish this DCT was on the G70 I just bought, and the SF with the regular TC auto the G70 has. Oh well. Just hope it doesn't give me trouble (and neither the engine), but we'll see. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took my 2022 Santa Fe to the dealer (6800 miles) due to shifting badly. Dealer is working with Hyundai Corporate Technicians. Taking a week to diagnose the problem and still not identified. The problem happens the first drive the next day: no power as the engine revs to 4000 rpm. By shutting off and restarting, the problem disappears (like a computer reboot!). took on vacation. Drove from the initial start and no power merging onto the interstate - very unsafe. When it finally got up to speed the car ran 80 mph at 3000 rpm. It did this for two hours. After stopping at a rest stop and shutting off the engine and restarting... problems disappeared. Power getting back onto the interstate was there and now the car ran 80 mph at 2000 rpm - where I would expect it to have been all along.

Here it is a week later and Hyundai still doesn't know the exact problem. Service said it could take weeks to fix and if it is the transmission needing to be replaced, they are on back-order...Bottomline was told it could take 1-2 months to have this resolved. So here I am making monthly payments to drive my new Calligraphy while driving an older base model Chevy from a rental agency.

This seems to be a known issue, yet Hyundai has yet to figure out the cause or the fix. Patience is wearing very thin!

This is the first time I ventured away from an American make and now I am questioning my decision.
Thanks. The last 6 digits for my SF are 412576. Service Manager told me they had another SF with a transmission issue, put in a replacement transmission and after a couple thousand miles happened again and back in the shop. I hope my luck is better than that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh man. Your SF is 40K+ units before mine, but if there was nothing to improve before, my tranny might be exactly the same as yours, for all I know. Maybe they knew of those issues before, and quietly improved it, like manufacturers typically do. We'll see, I guess. I'm taking mine on a long trip (4K miles) in early September, so it'll have around 6K when we're done. Hope to at least avoid any issues during that trip with my 2 daughters, or we'd be really pissed. Ha ha. I'd like to know the rationale of why to put a DCT tranny on an SUV, especially one with 3,500-lbs towing capacity. It's a much more complex tranny, typically only justified for sports cars. It's probably lighter than a TC one, but not by much. And TC units are more robust, and more reliable as well. It's a head-scratcher for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man. Your SF is 40K+ units before mine, but if there was nothing to improve before, my tranny might be exactly the same as yours, for all I know. Maybe they knew of those issues before, and quietly improved it, like manufacturers typically do. We'll see, I guess. I'm taking mine on a long trip (4K miles) in early September, so it'll have around 6K when we're done. Hope to at least avoid any issues during that trip with my 2 daughters, or we'd be really pissed. Ha ha. I'd like to know the rationale of why to put a DCT tranny on an SUV, especially one with 3,500-lbs towing capacity. It's a much more complex tranny, typically only justified for sports cars. It's probably lighter than a TC one, but not by much. And TC units are more robust, and more reliable as well. It's a head-scratcher for sure.
I hope you are correct in that they figured this out. So far they have not as they rely on the dealership to do all the investigation on the issue.
You should be able to get through it if you end up with the same issue. The shifting problem occurred on the first drive of the day. I would pull over, turn off the car and restart it. By doing this 'reboot', it would start shifting normally and would take care of the issue for the remainder of that day. Next morning, back to the problem again. If yours does act up, hopefully, that little procedure may get you through. If you encounter the same lag and shifting problem, make sure you get it temporarily resolved (hopefully) as making left turns or merging onto highways can be dangerous when you expect the car to go but it only slowly speeds up. (I relate the feeling to when you have a manual transmission and try taking off from a dead stop in 4th gear - that kind of lack in power.)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Yes I now own a 2023 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T and they do have a problem with 2021,2022, 2023 Hyundai and Kia on certain vehicals equipped with the Dual-Cluthc Transmission (DCT)
Supposed to be a recall on an eight-speed Dual Clutch Transmission oil pump malfunction that could trigger an improper fail-safe model reaction the causes the transmission to Disengage.
My new car probably will be affected and the artical said might result in a stop-sale order on affected models until they can be repaired. Heard will be noticfied by December! They will replace
or fix the transmission if you have problems. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have them replace the transmission!
The dealership ordered the replacement transmission after Hyundai Corporate investigation processes were completed by the dealership to ensure what had to be done. Oddly, the dealership was given a technical bulletin just as the replacement transmission was being delivered. The bulletin suggested a software update to correct the issue. The dealership tried that update. I drove it home only to have it fail right away again the next morning. (I told the dealership to hang on to that replacement transmission until I proved they had fixed the issue. Glad I did!) They replaced the transmission the next week and since then all is good (almost two months now since replacing it).
Hyundai did provide me with a rental car during that time while I waited for the replacement transmission to arrive and install it. I'm sure that cost them more than the transmission. Hyundai said they were at the mercy of the transmission manufacturer to provide the replacement and that was what took so long.
I have now driven the Santa Fe locally as well as on a 2,000-mile road trip since the replacement with no issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes I now own a 2023 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T and they do have a problem with 2021,2022, 2023 Hyundai and Kia
The issue was supposedly fixed for sure on September 2022, so if your build-date is Sep/22, then you'd be out of the woods. Vehicles built after the recall deadline of 3/31/22 and 8/31/22, like mine (4/9/22), they still could be affected IMO, but already have the (mostly useless) 'fail-safe' of 30 mph corrected. Not enough piece-of-mind to me, but hoping I don't have an issue down the road.

Hyundai said they were at the mercy of the transmission manufacturer to provide the replacement and that was what took so long.
Well, the transmission manufacturer happens to be Hyundai. Ha ha. By the way, Hyundai now manufactures all of their transmissions, FYI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts