Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I was posting to a thread in the new member forum
(1) 2021 Limited Hybrid - Beeping Like a Bus While Reversing | Hyundai Santa Fe Forums

But it probably aught to be over in this forum. The Hybrid I just got yesterday - makes a VERY VERY loud 'delivery truck' beeping when put in reverse. And keeps doing it until put in drive or back in park.

Bottom line - the back up horn seemingly could be a great safety feature but this is going to be an alarm clock for my entire neighborhood. Its too loud, highly obnoxious and needs to be disabled until something more reasonable can be implemented.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I realized I was posting to a thread in the new member forum
(1) 2021 Limited Hybrid - Beeping Like a Bus While Reversing | Hyundai Santa Fe Forums

But it probably aught to be over in this forum. The Hybrid I just got yesterday - makes a VERY VERY loud 'delivery truck' beeping when put in reverse. And keeps doing it until put in drive or back in park.

Bottom line - the back up horn seemingly could be a great safety feature but this is going to be an alarm clock for my entire neighborhood. Its too loud, highly obnoxious and needs to be disabled until something more reasonable can be implemented.
I found the VESS unit on my 2021, it's right about in the middle of the front grille. It's just a 6 inch square box. I can barely get my hands on the cable, so I will use some long needle nose pliers to pinch and pull the connector off. The unit has only 4 screws on the front, easy access, so I removed those and I can get get unit closer to the front of the grille. There's no access from the top, it's all one piece when you open the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also found this
The Virtual Engine Sound - For Your Safety (hyundaimotorgroup.com)
Though I would have thought engineers woudl have put the sound emitting device for backing up in the rear of the vehicle not at the front grille where it has to be louder for people behind the vehicle to hear it.

And may have figured out how to make it at least quieter - though I haven't tested to see if it was a one-time setting change (or it seemed quieter just because it wasn't the first time I ever heard it or because it was outside in an empty parking lot this time). If I validate the permanence of the setting change I'll repost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IT'S FIXED !! I finally got in there and unplugged the VESS unit and the REVERSE BEEPING IS GONE! My car no longer sounds like a trash truck backing up. That was annoying and very embarrassing when people give you a weird look. But so is the Virtual Engine Sound. I can tell mainly in our underground garage. But I can still hear the electric motor "whirring" sound, which is fine with me. Here's what I did.

2021 Santa Fe Hybrid SEL
The VESS black box is behind the grill, just right of center [approx 5" square]
The wiring cable is on the left side of the box, just out of reach of my fingers. If you have a super skinny wrist, you can get your hand thru the grill and pull it off. But I could not.

TOOLS:
16" Needle Nose Pliers [11"-16" will work]. I bought these at Harbor Freight Tools, thinking I would need the 45deg angled ones. Turns out I was able to use the straight one
Flashlight
Long Phillips screwdriver with swivel head. The bottom 2 screws of off-center from the grill hole, so the swivel head allowed me to remove and replace the bottom screws. The top screws are easy to get to. MAGNETIC HEAD PREFERRED. My screwdriver sticks to the screws pretty good, but I still lost one of the screws. It's somewhere down there, I am not going to start tearing it apart for 1 screw.

PROCEDURE:

Carefully remove the 4 screws holding the VESS black box. Now you can move the box from side to side. The wiring harness does have a plastic clamp on it about 6" down, but you can pull up on the harness and move the box more to the right. I got if far enough over to the right where I can turn it at a 45deg angle with the harness plug towards me. At this point the harness plug/connector is very close to the grill, but I still can't get my fingers on it tight enough to pinch it where it will back out. Using the needle nose pliers [with my plastic flashlight jammed into the grill], I was able to reach the harness connector, pinch it down and pull it off.

After that, I turned on the vehicle and put it in reverse and the sound is gone. Shut it off, then secured the VESS box back into the bracket. The harness hangs there right next to it and does not touch the radiator or innercooler. Once back together, I took it for a drive. I made to sure to turn on the LANE KEEPING ASSIST was still working and it is. The harness has 6 wires going to it, I'm sure it can be diagnosed as to which ones are only for the backup sound and remove those from the harness. This way if you still want to the Virtual Engine Sound to keep working, that's a work around.

See the attached photos for more info.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts