Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first state this is the first Hyundai I have owned. I have the 2019 Santa Fe. There are times when the transmission seems not to up shift unless under acceleration. What I mean by this is if drifting downhill at about 25-30 mph and picking up speed the transmission seems to just hold whichever gear it is in at that time instead of up shifting on it's own to release pressure on the trans. There have also been times when the transmission seems to slip in 2nd and 3rd gears upon normal acceleration. Has anyone else experienced this or can it just be me new to Hyundai?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have (wife's) 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate and its 8 SP tranny seems to operate fine. I have a 2013 2.4L Sonata and its transmission (6SP) gives great ups and downs.
That said, my Genesis holds the gears downhills, which I like as I can coast faster! :)
Sure the dealer can hook it up to computer and check for faults. (Transmission shouldn't upshift unless an increase of speed recommends a higher gear)
Is there a difference in SMART/COMFORT or SPORT modes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you are observing with the transmission holding a gear while coasting down a hill is normal and desirable.

It would allow you to better maintain speed going down a hill without having to ride the brakes.

The alternative is that it upshifts and you accelerate and you press the brakes to slow down.

I have a 2018 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate. I know it is not the 2019, but it has one of the best transmissions I have ever experienced. When accelerating, it upshifts at the perfect time to maintain a smooth acceleration. I can't recall how it behaves going down a hill, but I will try to make a note of it next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for the replies. As stated, I am new to Hyundai and thought this was unusual....Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
HELP please: Have 2013 3.3 SF. For ATF drain, do I use 20mm or 3/8 hex to open fill/level plug. Don’t want to buy wrong tool

·
Registered
97 Posts
braven - my 018 tranny stinks... holds that gear going downhill revving the engine like an 88-valve big-rig and then going uphill will jump into a lower gear and maybe near red-line just to pick up that 1 or 2 mph. Mine is a 4-banger so not a lot of pop but I was looking for smooth, not jumpy, and I didn't notice it on my test drive. We al need to test drive longer. I think STREETS above has something you should check in the "SMART/COMFORT or SPORT modes"? I run a Eco-mode and have to keep an eye on steep upcomng hills so it don't jump and, it doesn't drive me to my satisfaction without my interaction with it. The CVT transmissions really upped the MPG at the cost of smoooooth, IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts