Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had the car since new and have about 13k miles on it. Every we go for a long drive and come back home, I can smell coolant and what seems to be a bit of gas from the car. I see no leaks and everything runs fine. Anyone have a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Long idles in the winter and very few oil changes can create fuel dilution in your oil.
Get your oil changed asap with 5w30 and don't let the vehicle idle longer than five minutes, when warming it-up via remote control.

BTW.... my oil changes are every 3500 miles...... using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always purchased new cars and they all kinda gave off a coolant kinda smell for the first few months, and then it kinda goes away...

But my 2019 Santa Fe 2.0T, the smell of coolant after a drive and kinda smells a bit more of I drive it like a go kart is still hanging around.. But their is no coolant issue, level has never changed... Very odd for this car/engine...

I’ve had the car since new and have about 13k miles on it. Every we go for a long drive and come back home, I can smell coolant and what seems to be a bit of gas from the car. I see no leaks and everything runs fine. Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long idles in the winter and very few oil changes can create fuel dilution in your oil.
Get your oil changed asap with 5w30 and don't let the vehicle idle longer than five minutes, when warming it-up via remote control.

BTW.... my oil changes are every 3500 miles...... using synthetic oil.
3500 miles is way too short. You can run 7500-10000 with a quality oil no problem. but the oil companies would make 1/2 as much. Oil and engines today aren't the same as your Pappy's whip when carbs and dilution were the norm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
3500 miles is way too short. You can run 7500-10000 with a quality oil no problem. but the oil companies would make 1/2 as much. Oil and engines today aren't the same as your Pappy's whip when carbs and dilution were the norm.

Wrong reply. Sounds like you don't have a clue on how long Kia or Hyundai allows OCIs. Sounds like you aren't clued-in on fuel dilution, oil shearing, carbon & soot either.
Even thou most dealers don't push OCI length discussions much - unless there is a problem. most Kia and Hyundai warranties do put vehicle owners at Severe Service level..... which is 3.75k. So in case you haven't read that either - on what qualifies Severe Service, you should.

My vehicle will long-outlive yours. You are living on the wrong side of the GDI / TGDI railroad tracks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess I made a mistake and bought a POS then. I should've bought a Yota or a CRV.
We both made a mistake. Now it's time to nurse the vehicle along to obtain old age someday. Had I done my Hyundai TGDI / GDI homework correctly in November 2018, I never would have purchased my 2019 Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. My 2nd choice back then was the Toyota RAV4. My third choice was the Honda CRV. Both had models without GDI / TGDI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We both made a mistake. Now it's time to nurse the vehicle along to obtain old age someday. Had I done my Hyundai TGDI / GDI homework correctly in November 2018, I never would have purchased my 2019 Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. My 2nd choice back then was the Toyota RAV4. My third choice was the Honda CRV. Both had models without GDI / TGDI.
Both the yota and honda engines are direct port injection as in the Hyundai. the honda w/turbo has historical issues with oil dilution. I would never buy a car with a turbo unless I had an extended warranty as they all blow at some point. the person saying they only drive 3000 miles a year to go to church makes no financial sense. You come out farther ahead by just calling a Uber. Short trips does put it into the "severe" category.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which engine does this thread refer? I just purchased a 2021 SantaFe Limited 2.5 Turbo. The man annual recommends the first oil change at 3,000 then every 6,000 miles there after, or every 6 months which ever comes first. They also recommend using only first tier regular fuel, and then a fuel additive at each oil change or at least one tank of premium first tier fuel between changes. Are these requirements similar to yours?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but I never saw anyone say anything about the coolant smell issue. This has nothing to do with fuel in the oil. Ever since I have bought my SF brand new (November 2018) I have smelled the coolant. No issues come up, no lights, no flags on inspections, no leaks--nothing. I've just gotten used to the smell but can't help but think that it's anything but normal. Can anyone else verify this or possibly have an answer to the smell of coolant all of the time? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I'm late to the party, but I never saw anyone say anything about the coolant smell issue. This has nothing to do with fuel in the oil. Ever since I have bought my SF brand new (November 2018) I have smelled the coolant. No issues come up, no lights, no flags on inspections, no leaks--nothing. I've just gotten used to the smell but can't help but think that it's anything but normal. Can anyone else verify this or possibly have an answer to the smell of coolant all of the time? Thanks.
No issues but I know it’s coolant I smell. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I want to bring it up when we go back to the dealer but I’m sure if there’s no issue, they won’t bat an eye on this. Just strange to have such a smell. I’m at 16k miles now and it’s still there after a decent drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You definitely are not the only one and I know for a fact also that mine is a coolant smell. I've smelled it since I first purchased my SF, brand new. I thought it would go away as I know when a car is new, you can smell certain things that usually burn off over time, but this smell never went away. I have a little over 18K miles on mine. And you're right, the dealer will say there are no leaks and nothing they can see wrong at all, more than likely. I have never thought the smell was normal either. I guess we just have to monitor the situation and make sure that we don't see any evidence of leaks. Sucks when we know it's not normal but they say that it is.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4 - Calypso Red
1 Posts
You definitely are not the only one and I know for a fact also that mine is a coolant smell. I've smelled it since I first purchased my SF, brand new. I thought it would go away as I know when a car is new, you can smell certain things that usually burn off over time, but this smell never went away. I have a little over 18K miles on mine. And you're right, the dealer will say there are no leaks and nothing they can see wrong at all, more than likely. I have never thought the smell was normal either. I guess we just have to monitor the situation and make sure that we don't see any evidence of leaks. Sucks when we know it's not normal but they say that it is.
Another +1 here, I noticed it and mentioned it to the dealer.. and after accusing us of "putting coolant in the wiper fluid tank" (which pissed me off QUITE a bit) they pressure tested the system and found no issues. We have a 2020 SEL.

Really curious if the cap is venting a lot, a slight leak somewhere (our old santa fe leaked where the rad hose connects to the block, even after the dealer had replaced it!) or what.

Again, glad to know we're not the only ones. I've never had a car give off a coolant smell that wasn't leaking it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts