Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start off by saying, any way to squeeze another bit of mileage out of a tank of gas is a good thing. But I am no fan of the auto-stop-start features on cars these days including my wife's new Santa Fe. I was always told the worst thing you can do to any machine is constantly shut it down and start it up. It creates the most wear during this process as well as taxes the battery.

That said, this feature on the 2019 Santa Fe has a mind of its own. It defaults "ON" every time you start the vehicle (intentionally) to start your trip. You can turn it "off" by depressing the button on the center console where it will illuminate.

1. With it "on", it chooses on its own whether to shut off the engine at a complete stop or not. No rhyme or reason that I can determine. At a long traffic light when you would think it would turn off the engine- it doesn't. Other times at a stop sign, barely stopped, it does. Furthermore, I have seen it turn itself ON when I know I had disengaged it at the start of the trip. My wife hates it. With all the safety features tugging at the wheel, beeping and starting and stopping the engine- she does not like to be in control.

Can anyone educate me on the brains of this "energy" saver? It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let's start off by saying, any way to squeeze another bit of mileage out of a tank of gas is a good thing. But I am no fan of the auto-stop-start features on cars these days including my wife's new Santa Fe. I was always told the worst thing you can do to any machine is constantly shut it down and start it up. It creates the most wear during this process as well as taxes the battery.

That said, this feature on the 2019 Santa Fe has a mind of its own. It defaults "ON" every time you start the vehicle (intentionally) to start your trip. You can turn it "off" by depressing the button on the center console where it will illuminate.

1. With it "on", it chooses on its own whether to shut off the engine at a complete stop or not. No rhyme or reason that I can determine. At a long traffic light when you would think it would turn off the engine- it doesn't. Other times at a stop sign, barely stopped, it does. Furthermore, I have seen it turn itself ON when I know I had disengaged it at the start of the trip. My wife hates it. With all the safety features tugging at the wheel, beeping and starting and stopping the engine- she does not like to be in control.

Can anyone educate me on the brains of this "energy" saver? It makes no sense to me.
Greetings, my first comment on this forum (am active on another forum: [hyundai dash forums dot com]/2019-hyundai-sante-fe-forum). Today in my first real drive of my new 2019 SF AWD limited I saw it revert to what I call the "shut off at the stop light" mode a few times, even at my mail box. However it's very invisble to me, I mainly wanted my wife to see it and she did not even notice it other than I said "look at the tach going to zero" to tell it's happening. So the jury is out, I will see if it's bothersome but so far not a problem. Note I did have this feature last winter on a FL Hertz Malibu and it was more noticable than this Santa Fe.

So far very happy with my purchase 3 days ago: 2019 SF AWD limited 2.4L, my 1st Hyundai after may years of Chrysler Jeeps, 300, and minivans at same dealer. But only driven it twice, no reviews for a few weeks yet . Also own a 12 Camry, excellent trooper car. Hope the SF holds up after 10 years of flat land driving.

PS-Is there a 2019 Santa Fe focused sub group on this forum? WHERE? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where it really drives me crazy is when pulling into the garage. You drive ever so slow entering and the engine shuts off- a pain.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Here's what I ended up doing to mine because I always forget to turn the damn thing off. I'm no fan of the auto engine shut off, to be sure. So far, it helps. I know it may be tacky to some, but when I forget, it drives me crazy!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey- if you really hate the START STOP nuisance, err...feature in the '19 Santa Fe, don't wear your seat belt.
Without the seatbelt clicked, it will not shut off.

Nothing worse than pulling in slowly to the garage, stop for a min and the damn thing shuts down. Me no likey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also hate this feature for the same reasons mentioned, plus if you are waiting on traffic so you can make a left turn, the engines stops, so it adds some lag to finally being able to turn. Hyundai needs to make it selectable to disable this feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Start-Stop is malfunctioning. In three different occasions after stopping it failed to restart. The screen instructed me to place the shift in P or N and turn off and on the car manually. Each case it took several attempts before I could turn the car on while in the middle of traffic. It has been a disturbing experience. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't identify the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car does the same - took it the dealer twice and nothing so far. Now it’s done it in my driveway when starting the car...how did your situation end up? Getting things in line to claim lemon law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Start-Stop is malfunctioning. In three different occasions after stopping it failed to restart. The screen instructed me to place the shift in P or N and turn off and on the car manually. Each case it took several attempts before I could turn the car on while in the middle of traffic. It has been a disturbing experience. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't identify the problem.
My vehicle started doing it 7-18-19 at about 1800 miles. Have Hyundai figured out the cause/fix? It happens randomly, just on this day 3 times. I noticed I have turned it off but it turn on sometime later. Let me know if you have any information. Thnx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto Engine Stop-Start

I pushed down the disable switch and jammed a piece of plastic card in the gap. The switch stays down (depressed). I have mine this way for 3 weeks now. No problems at all. You could use a tooth pick as well. No more engine stop-start issues for me. 2019 Santa Fe SE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my case, they traced it back to a poorly done wiring (for additional features) and:
Hyundai Part No.: 42700-2H000
SWITCH ASSY-POSITION

Basically, car could not figure out position of a gear selector.
Going to give it a test drive.

Hope it will help to save someone's time, cause I've spent over too much on trying to figure out the pattern.
Will follow up if issue is still there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone still wondering how the magic works, here is a text I grabbed via google from a leaflet inside a 2019 Santa Fe at the dealer (Sorry for the errors):

Idle Stop N Go

Your Hyundai Santa Fe is equipped with "Idle
which automatically shuts down the engine withe vehicle is at standstill to conserve fuel.
and Go" or ISG,
Depress the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to aplete stop, the
engine will automatically stop. The green Auto Stop indlicator will llu-
minate in the instrument panel when the system is engaged.
You may feel a slight
vibration during engine shut
down and restart
When you are ready to go again, simply release the brake pedal. The
engine will startup again seamlessly and the Auto Stop indicator will
go out.
The engine may not stop every time when the vehicle is stopped. The
ISG system evaluates several vehicle parameters before it shuts off
the engine.
Prerequisites for activation include:
The driver's seatbelt is fastened.
The driver's door and the hood are closed.
- The brake vacuum pressure is adequate.
- The battery is sufficiently charged.
- The outside temperature is between 14F and 95F.
The engine coolant temperature is not too low.
The system is not in the diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, newbie here. I'm not good at forums so hopefully I don't offend anyone. I will start by saying I am NOT a Hyundai guy, but since we do have one in the driveway, I led me here.

I basically joined this forum specifically because I want to know how to permanently disable the ISG. I read that one member says to stick a toothpick in the button to hold it down. I want to go one better... has anyone just simply bypassed the switch by connecting the switches hot and grnd wires together, and if so, did it work?

Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seem to have a different issue than most. I don't mind the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) and have adjusted to it. But recently it has failed to activate. First time I took it to the dealer, they replaced the sensor. That worked for maybe a week or two. Next time at dealer they said battery was not properly charged. Since they could charge the battery to a satisfactory level and checked the alternator, they could not replace anything. Not long after that it failed again.

As to the alternator properly charging, I am curious. My dealer is 45 miles away, mostly highway miles. You would think that could charge a battery. And yet when I drive more than 100 miles, as on a recent long trip, ISG started working again.

Something that may deplete the battery is my volunteer work. I deliver Meals On Wheels so I have made a lot of stops within an hour; maybe 6 to 12.

Being a retired engineer from a chemical plant, I miss these tricky types of problems to solve. I'm almost enjoying the challenge. You can call me "Sheldon" ;)

FYI attached is the Tech Service Bulletin issued March 2019 that refers to the ISG operation and battery issue. Interesting that this exists, isn't it!?!

UPDATE: Dealer will replace my battery free of charge in an effort to correct this issue. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Santa Fe Auto Engine Stop-StartReply to Thread

I've been having issues with my isg for a while now. First the dealer said the battery charge was low and needs to be above 70% to function. Now they determined that my fan switch cannot be at 3 or 4 (we have the manual climate control), even though the owners manual says it can't be ABOVE 3, which to me means the isg should work at a fan setting of 3, but i guess we'll have to live with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, newbie here. I'm not good at forums so hopefully I don't offend anyone. I will start by saying I am NOT a Hyundai guy, but since we do have one in the driveway, I led me here.

I basically joined this forum specifically because I want to know how to permanently disable the ISG. I read that one member says to stick a toothpick in the button to hold it down. I want to go one better... has anyone just simply bypassed the switch by connecting the switches hot and grnd wires together, and if so, did it work?

Please let me know. Thanks
You can bypass or automatically default the ISG to "inactive" a few seconds after starting the vehicle.

Go to Post 11 in this thread. https://www.santafeforums.com/isg-idle-stop-go-also-known-auto-stop-t14269.html It will take you to another forum, where this is documented in detail. Read it, and if you still have questions, message me and I'm sure we can find a solution you can work with. The other forum will give some specific details on a way to default it to OFF but can be done with many variations of what is posted in the details.

To make it simple, here is what is in the other thread, post 11:
Just FYI... there are some ways to default ISG to OFF (inactive). Some methods are more involved than others. I've documented some of these in another forum. Of course, you can review and see if any method appeals to you and your needs. Hope you find what you need.

Since the Forum will not allow me to post the entire URL here, you will have to put all these pieces together to "build" the URL. (take out the spaces in the line below to create the full URL)

https:// www. hyundai-forums .com/threads/ options-to-manage-the-isg-idle-stop-and-go-function.658336/#post-5936672

Every time I start my car, it automatically defaults the ISG to OFF. I built a custom wire harness so it is plug-n-play and no splicing of wires. However, the same can be accomplished by splicing wires. And can be done for as little as $30. By the way, I would not recommend just wiring the hot (ISG control) and ground together as the original switch has a resistor in it (200ohm). The ISG control wire is from the ECM (main engine computer). Review the documented information in the other forum and contact me if you have questions or want to discuss it in more detail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I seem to have a different issue than most. I don't mind the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) and have adjusted to it. But recently it has failed to activate. First time I took it to the dealer, they replaced the sensor. That worked for maybe a week or two. Next time at dealer they said battery was not properly charged. Since they could charge the battery to a satisfactory level and checked the alternator, they could not replace anything. Not long after that it failed again.

As to the alternator properly charging, I am curious. My dealer is 45 miles away, mostly highway miles. You would think that could charge a battery. And yet when I drive more than 100 miles, as on a recent long trip, ISG started working again.

Something that may deplete the battery is my volunteer work. I deliver Meals On Wheels so I have made a lot of stops within an hour; maybe 6 to 12.

Being a retired engineer from a chemical plant, I miss these tricky types of problems to solve. I'm almost enjoying the challenge. You can call me "Sheldon" ;)

FYI attached is the Tech Service Bulletin issued March 2019 that refers to the ISG operation and battery issue. Interesting that this exists, isn't it!?!

UPDATE: Dealer will replace my battery free of charge in an effort to correct this issue. Stay tuned.
Lots of information to digest. So many things in play for ISG to activate. Like so many others, I'd guess your battery State Of Charge (SOC) is below the threshold for ISG to activate. This is not unusual. These newer vehicles do NOT constantly charge the battery like older vehicles do. Instead, in an attempt to save a bit more fuel, they are designed to charge when it does not detract from fuel mileage. Often, that is under deceleration, etc. They are designed to keep the battery charged enough to reliably start the car, but may not keep the SOC high enough for the ISC to activate. This is especially true for those who drive short distances. Hyundai is not the only manufacturer where this is obvious (the Ford F150 is also notorious for this same situation). If you really like the ISG, I might suggest getting a battery tender which you can plug in every night while at home. Since my vehicle is not driven on a regular basis, I've used the battery tender and wired it to the ground & + post on the battery, and hung the lead out the front of the grill so I can easily plug it in whenever I want to (make sure the - is connected to a ground, not the negative battery post - this way the vehicle can still monitor the state of the battery). Try this and I'll bet your ISG activates on a regular basis. Anyway, I cannot prove what I've stated so assume it is just my opinion. For less than $20, you can get a small battery Tender at Harbor Freight and see if it fixes your issue. Those who get the battery replaced, will likely see the same issue return over time. Anyway, good luck and hope you get it working the way you expect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Streets
Stick a toothpick into the side opening of the Start--Stop switch near the trans shifter. That will disable it 24-7.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts