Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2018 Santa Fe XL, and I bought some cross bars for it and mounted them the other day.

They cause a tremendous amount of wind noise (angry ghost... OooooOooOOoooohhhh) once we get to around 60kph. It's obnoxious enough that I'd rather take the cross bars on and off as we need them rather than leave them on all the time... which is definitely a nuisance.

I tried moving them back, as I've read that can help, but they are now fairly far back (I think) and it didn't make a difference.

They aren't aerodynamic bars, they have an oval profile. But my sister has the exact same bars on her new Kona and says they make basically no noise at all...

Any tips or suggestions?

Pic of the current position is here: unnamed

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2018 Santa Fe XL, and I bought some cross bars for it and mounted them the other day.

They cause a tremendous amount of wind noise (angry ghost... OooooOooOOoooohhhh) once we get to around 60kph. It's obnoxious enough that I'd rather take the cross bars on and off as we need them rather than leave them on all the time... which is definitely a nuisance.

I tried moving them back, as I've read that can help, but they are now fairly far back (I think) and it didn't make a difference.

They aren't aerodynamic bars, they have an oval profile. But my sister has the exact same bars on her new Kona and says they make basically no noise at all...

Any tips or suggestions?

Pic of the current position is here: unnamed
Have you tried to reverse them? I have the o.e. roof rack and I have put them on backwards and the scream down the road!
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you checked to ensure that the rubber insert which runs the length of the bar on the top surface is properly seated? If it's missing the airflow over the top of the bar causes the noise you describe....:rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts