Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend my engine failed while driving on the highway and had to be towed to the dealership. Dealership has confirmed it is the known issue with the Theta II engine and has put in for a replacement via warranty and is currently awaiting an answer from Hyundai. The service manager mentioned that Hyundai might try to deny it for any variety of reasons, fingers crossed they won't. In preparation, I have pulled all my service records from every dealership and Valvoline that I have had work done and the vehicle has been maintained well. Vehicle has 117,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? What is the likelihood they will deny me?

At this point I still owe on the loan but it's probably less than what this repair will cost if I have to pay it outright. Terrible position to be in but trying to figure out options just in case. If they do deny me, what is my recourse?

· Registered
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
1 Posts
i just had the same issue about a month ago with my 2017 Santa Fe. Make sure your service manager has copies of ALL your oil changes showing that you did regularly scheduled changes(mine went back 2 years). this is a known problem, and as long as you can show you were doing your part to maintain the engine, they should replace it for free. that is what they did for me. took about 2 weeks total time. i haven't had any complaints with hyundai service, every time i deal with them, they have taken care of me.

good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’m dealing with the exact same thing right now. Hyundai Tucson at 117,000 miles, the oil consumption has been a problem for over a year that they keep denying an engine replacement for. It failed on Christmas Eve while I was halfway through a four hour trip. It’s been at the dealership for over a month now and all that’s come out of it is that the warranty team denied the engine again because “it isn’t consuming enough oil,” and now they want me to drive it another 1000 miles to see how much oil it consumes…even though it is not driveable and at the dealership right now. It has been awful. We are looking for lawyers now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts