Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2016 Santa Fe limited and want to know how everyone is using their vehicle to tow and if you are having an issue with Trans temps or not. I am going to install my hitch and harness within the next week or so. I have a dual 3500 lb axle trailer with single axle brakes and will tow my UTV weight is 1750 so overall trailer and load weight will be ~ 2950lbs loaded.

Do I need Additional Trans Cooler? Most of my trips are max 4 hours flat some little hills like in Austin. But mostly flat in Houston and I10.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you get setup and do an initial tow? What did you find?

I have a 2018 Sport 2.0T that I plan to pull a 2000# popup in Colorado this summer, so lottsa mountains. Also, thinking about buying a trailer ~2600#. Would love to know of other's experience towing. Particularly acceleration, breaking, handling, MPG, transmission cooler, etc.

There are other threads on towing hookups, but this could be a good place to share general towing experiences and strategies.

I don't understand why this forum, in general, is so dead. Hello, anybody home?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man, I love the Santa Fe.

You have to have Trailer Brakes. My Trailer and UTV setup is approx 3000# Lbs and it tows perfectly. The family and I just went to Arkansas hot springs from Houston Texas and we got 14.6 MPG the whole way there and back. No overheating or nothing, the only thing I would recommend is to get the air spring helpers cause it does sag on the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2018 Sport is a 2.0 Turbo (not V6), so I'm anxious to see how it does in the CO mountains. I towed the 2000# popup many years with a Rav4 V6 - plenty of power but marginal braking w/o trailer brakes. I just drove very conservative. If I go any heavier, I'm sure trailer brakes are a necessity.

Thanks for the info. Hope a few others chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like this thread may have died. Too bad. I would really like to know more. I am thinking of buying a Sante Fe mainly for towing. What I have read on this site is not too encouraging so far. I want to tow a fiberglass trailer with a dry weight of about 2400 lb. I need a 7 plug connector and the wiring for breaks. I am not a do it yourself person and was hoping to get it all done by the dealer with the tow package factor installed. I came to this forum to learn more about what Sante Fe offers. The dealer do not seem knowledgeable about their vehicles or towing! I was just told by a Toyota dealer that a 4 pin connector was just fine for my needs!!! I guess he did not feel like breaks were important. I had to inform him that breaks were not only needed for safety but are legally required in some states. Anyway, seems like Sante Fe is not as equipped as I would have thought. I may return to looking at the Ford Explorer. Help!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Adding a hitch and 7 way connector are no problem. Search etrailer for these part numbers: C13152, 118269, C58000, 37185. Installation takes about 1-2 hours and is very clean when completed. If your dealer is incompetent, U-Haul or most any decent mechanic can do it.

I don't have brakes on my pop up, but etrailer will recommend a controller that works well. Installing the controller and routing the wires will take another hour or so.

I haven't pulled my 2000# pop-up yet - still too cold in the CO mountains. From what I've read, it should be no problem except that gas mileage plummets into the teens.

I'd love to hear more experiences from those who have actually done some towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts