Hyundai Santa Fe Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '16 Santa Fe Sport, bought is last October and live in Florida. One thing about living here is that is does get hot. Well, in late April when the temp starting get above 85, the car would not start. It would in the morning, but after sitting in the sun, it would not. All it did was show the system checks on the display with all light flashing, over and over and over until I turned it off. This has the push button start. The first thing I noticed was the brake pedal was firm. I mean, it would not budge. So I'm thinking it's a brake problem, not electrical. Anyway, no start, call for a tow, the driver arrives late in the after noon, cooler, car starts. Dealership checks everything out and says battery has dead cell, replaced. 7 days later, same thing, starts fine in the morning, drive to several places, later in the after noon after sitting in the sun, no start. Call for a tow, arrives later in the after noon, car starts after driver mashes parking break several times, moves key fob around start button, car starts. Dealership says vacuum hose has crack and replaced. I go to pick up and it won't start at dealership. A week later, the vacuum pump now replaced. Ok, I tell service to park car in sun and call me later. get a call and car won't start. 5 weeks later after Hyundai techs advise on what to check, I get car back and it drives for 3 weeks with no issues. They replaced 3 relays and the start button assembly. Again, won't start when my wife wanted to go to store. Call for tow and driver arrives really late, like 930 pm and same driver as previous time. Car starts. Every day there was a starting issue was on a Friday or Saturday. 5 more weeks in the shop, this time a Hyundai tech comes to inspect car himself. Every electrical connection and plug pulled, cleaned and put back. Service tech accidentally touches power steering assist motor under dash and it's hot. Car not running and it's 110. New steering column installed along with brake light switch just for good luck. I file for lemon law on August 11th and get car back on 12th. Get notice from Hyundai to attempt service 1 more time on August 24th. Meet with Hyundai rep and service manager telling them I want a new replacement, this car is not dependable and possibly now a safety hazard. At this point, car has been in the shop 5 times for 78 days. Later the 24th, the service manager calls me and says car won't start. Now on its 83rd day in shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a '16 Santa Fe Sport, bought is last October and live in Florida. One thing about living here is that is does get hot. Well, in late April when the temp starting get above 85, the car would not start. It would in the morning, but after sitting in the sun, it would not. All it did was show the system checks on the display with all light flashing, over and over and over until I turned it off. This has the push button start. The first thing I noticed was the brake pedal was firm. I mean, it would not budge. So I'm thinking it's a brake problem, not electrical. Anyway, no start, call for a tow, the driver arrives late in the after noon, cooler, car starts. Dealership checks everything out and says battery has dead cell, replaced. 7 days later, same thing, starts fine in the morning, drive to several places, later in the after noon after sitting in the sun, no start. Call for a tow, arrives later in the after noon, car starts after driver mashes parking break several times, moves key fob around start button, car starts. Dealership says vacuum hose has crack and replaced. I go to pick up and it won't start at dealership. A week later, the vacuum pump now replaced. Ok, I tell service to park car in sun and call me later. get a call and car won't start. 5 weeks later after Hyundai techs advise on what to check, I get car back and it drives for 3 weeks with no issues. They replaced 3 relays and the start button assembly. Again, won't start when my wife wanted to go to store. Call for tow and driver arrives really late, like 930 pm and same driver as previous time. Car starts. Every day there was a starting issue was on a Friday or Saturday. 5 more weeks in the shop, this time a Hyundai tech comes to inspect car himself. Every electrical connection and plug pulled, cleaned and put back. Service tech accidentally touches power steering assist motor under dash and it's hot. Car not running and it's 110. New steering column installed along with brake light switch just for good luck. I file for lemon law on August 11th and get car back on 12th. Get notice from Hyundai to attempt service 1 more time on August 24th. Meet with Hyundai rep and service manager telling them I want a new replacement, this car is not dependable and possibly now a safety hazard. At this point, car has been in the shop 5 times for 78 days. Later the 24th, the service manager calls me and says car won't start. Now on its 83rd day in shop.
What's your state lemon law policy? You might be eligible for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Florida participates in the lemon law thru arbitration via the Attorney General's office and car manufacturer. To qualify you have to have 3 times in for the repair or 15 days of down time. I have 6 times shopped for same issue for 87 days. I got the car back on 9/1 and now they say they replaced the side detection monitor harness. Another Santa Fe was reported to have the same issue and that was the defect. Doesn't make any difference....... I sent my paperwork to the Attorney General for arbitration and received notice yesterday it was being processed. If approved, I will have the options of buy back or replacement. According to the web site, buy back equals my purchase price and any add on's I paid for since and vehicle replacement equals current year up to 110% of my original purchase price. There is no mention of additional charges like if I agree to buy back, do I have to pay a charge for miles driven. I guess that's what I will find out at arbitration. I was told that I could sit in on another arbitration case if I wanted to see what the procedures are. Right now I am planning on a replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake Light problem

Just recently purchased (Oct 2016) a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo with a Brake Light problem similar to your discussion. Car Fax states my car was from Florida. Did you successfully have the car returned under the Lemon Law? If so would you possible have the VIN number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, even though everything I filed was under the Florida lemon law, the only paperwork I received was a check. To them it was considered a "buy back". The guy who handled the case was from Morley and he handle cases for several manufacturers. I asked about what Hyundai would do with the car since there were so many service records and they should show up on a Car Fax type report and he said car would probably be sold as a "Corporate" vehicle. My deal was finalized on 11/9 so you didn't get mine. The vin is 5XYZW4LA4GG311484.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
......ALSO, I was wrong about the initial filing thru the State Attorney office. That delayed my case by 2 weeks. You file thru the Better Business Bureau or BBB Auto Line for actual name. If you don't agree with the settlement thru the BBB, then you file for arbitration thru the State Attorney office.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the information. Our VIN numbers are very close but not the same. My Car FAX showed title issued and updated on 9/8/2016 Florida MVD, Pompano Beach, FL. This is why I was interested in your car since they both had a similar problem, a Santa Fe Sport 2016 and were from Florida. Happy you got your money back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hyundai santa fe sport 2016 - Starting issue

I have starting issue in Hyundai santafe sport. Some day it wont start, but if i leave for couple of hours and try starting again, it will start fine.

I feel it is a safety hazard, i am not sure, when it start and when it stop. I dont know what to do with this car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts